Motorhome Facts Forum banner

What a REALLY clever and good idea, pleas read.

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  HurricaneSmith 
#1 ·
Now most will know that I am a total cynic when it comes to M H and caravan security. BUT have a look at the below link to something an ex copper is looking to set up.

Very clever
Very simple
Very effective.

https://caravanid.co.uk/cid-explained/

I'm signing up to it!

Andy

If you belong to any other forums please post the link on them.

#3 ·
Now most will know that I am a total cynic when it comes to M H and caravan security. BUT have a look at the below link to something an ex copper is looking to set up.

Very clever
Very simple
Very effective.

https://caravanid.co.uk/cid-explained/

I'm signing up to it!

Andy

If you belong to any other forums please post the link on them.
Andy

I am in favour of the idea but I some points of detail to make. You have had both MHs and caravans so will understand.

MHs often are fitted with ladders and usually on rear wall offside right, so positioning rear sticker as they suggest would be partly obscured and would give access to taping over it and the roof sticker.

I think the window stickers would be better replaced by etching.

These are detail/picky points but may improve the system.

Geoff

#7 ·
If he's a mate Ploddy, you might like to let him know.
:)
Don't know the chap at all, I just saw a link on another forum and thought some on here might be interested. As a long time sceptic of such things I have to say that I can see some real merit in it.

The comment made about searching for numbers etc whilst driving I think the idea is that your PASSENGER can use the app. ie. you come up behind a MH/caravan with a number on it, your passenger opens the app and taps in the number. IF it comes up as reported stolen you then follow the advice on the app in regards to calling the police.

I accept 100% that it's not a perfect system, but it does seem very well thought out and, if enough people adopt it, then it could help someone get their property back and a theif be prosecuted. Off course you then need the courts to hand out a decent punishment, but that a whole other threads worth!

Andy

#5 ·
I'm not sure I'd have time to take note of those numbers on every van I saw and then do a search on the off chance that it's stolen. Presumably this would be a job for two people since a driver couldn't do it? Even if I did get a hit what might happen next?

I've probably misunderstood what's being proposed?

I'm all in favour of reducing thefts by any practical means.

#6 ·
The system has been used on agricultural stock trailers, I would think for maybe 20-25 years now. Roof numbers that is. Doesn't seem to have been widely taken up and as far as I know their is no national network or Police co-operation involved. Less seem to be doing it now than used to.

#9 ·
Any one else collect vehicle registration numbers as a child? I did, no idea where they all are now. I wonder if they are worth anything? :smile2:

Dick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.