Which is best? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 10:09 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Which is best?

OK, following on from a previous post I've decided on which roof fan to go for. But I've a general question -

Am I better to go for a tint which is virtually clear and will let in the light - good for dull days when the rear of the MH would be pretty dull but not so good on bright mornings in that my bed is directly below. However, there is an optional shade which can be fully closed and still allow the fan to work on the 10 and 20% settings, which is probably what I'd be using overnight anyway on a hot night.

OR
there's a smoke, which would still let in a bit of light - possibly still too much on a bright summer morning.

Any thoughts? I feel as if there's something I'm not considering...

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 12:31

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Might just be me Jean but the question is confusing me, fans/tint ???
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 12:54 Thread Starter

Ah, sorry. I'm going for a maxxair deluxe fan.

I'm trying to figure if I'm better with tint and shade where apparently I can keep blind closed n fan on at 10-20% - it would be great for letting light in during the day on dull days and, with the shade at night time, to avoid sun through in the morning.

However, my main reason for getting one of these is to prevent the motorhome getting too hot during the day when in open sunshine. Do you think tint cover with closed blind and 20% fan would achieve this, or open n thermostat - or neither?

http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk...e-control.html

Jean

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 14:15 Thread Starter

I didn't really give all the info there either....

There are 3 different lids -

tint (which is virtually like plain glass with a very slight tint - most daylight would get through)

Smoke (a much darker tint which still let's some darkened daylight in) and

White (which is not at all see through)

Jean
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 14:23

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I'd think that with the shade across very little air would pass. Given that you have to use only 10 to 20% I'd reckon that at next to none. Probably no more than any open vent would allow.

Fan and blind seem self defeating to me. I'd go for tint and no blind.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 14:47 Thread Starter

I can't now find it but I'd seen a table with the amount of air moved by the different speeds. However, it's advertised as moving over 900 cu.ft. of air per minute, which I assume is on 100%. I reckon my volume is 8-900cu.ft. (probably considerably less when you take the furniture out of that!)

The shade has holes round the edge which allow for air passage. I do already keep my present blind open a couple of inches for ventilation - any more than that and the early sun would wake me, which I think is the problem with the tint and no blind that you suggest Alan.

Sorry, I'm just trying to feel my way to a decision here.
erneboy likes this.

Jean
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 07:58

We end up with our blind across and with stuffing kitchen roll around our roof light to stop it rattling in the ventilation draught. We rarely have it open at night as the bedroom is well ventilated elsewhere. It has no tint and I have never missed it as we draw the blind every night. Often we never open the blind as there are windows on both sides to provide light. Most of the time we are asleep! If I were choosing one I would go for a basic one that can be cracked open and that can be shuttered with a blind.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 10:35 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
If I were choosing one I would go for a basic one that can be cracked open and that can be shuttered with a blind.
That's what I have at the moment Pat but feel I need more cooling facility if I'm to be on the continent a month later than normal.

All my hab windows and toplights are permanently on the sneck so I do have airflow, but not enough for me! I would raise the toplights more on a very hot night but can't be fully open unless I'm very confident it won't rain.

Jean
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 12:55

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
This is what I went for Jean https://www.homesteadcaravans.co.uk/...ion-system.htm

It lets some light in but has a cream blind, fan sucks and blows 3 speed on both, very effective in the kitchen area.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 14:24 Thread Starter

Thanks Kev. I bit the bullet n went for this
https://youtu.be/IwBJGIvhyAc in smoke.

My reasons are:
1. I wanted to be able to leave the vent open and fan running while away from the MH so it was important that there was rain protection. There is, also, with the Fantastic Fan but apparently the rain sensor is very sensitive so any damp or dew leads to the vent closing n the fan turning off.

2. I wanted as much light as possible through the vent BUT I wanted to cut that light when sleeping. Since the blind (optional extra) can only be fully open or fully closed, and there is conflicting advice coming from the manufacturer/distributor concerning whether or not the fan can run with blind closed, I've decided to go for the Smoke version (somewhere between completely see-thro and not at all). If I do have problems with light I can put a bit of reflective behind-radiator-type material on the 'glass'.

So, now just need to have it fitted n hope it's successful. I shall report in the summer!
erneboy likes this.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page