• 2 Post By eurajohn
  • 1 Post By H1-GBV
  • 2 Post By nztravel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 01:15 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
High Milage motorhome

Hi Team

So I am about to get my first camper, I tossed up between either a Transit van which I would convert or a Motor Home. As Im now leaning towards a motor home I have started the search and discovered most in my price range 50-70K New Zealand dollars have a really high milage of around 300,000KM ( 190,000) miles. I will be using the camper 6 months of the year and then hoping to rent it out when we are away chasing the summer months for the other 6 months.

I am not mechanically minded and im concerned the milage is to high ? So what milage is too high in a motorhome like a 2008 Munro 6 Berth Mercedes Benz Sprinter and question two would you consider a ex rental if they provided all the service history ?

Thanks a ton in advance. Apologies if any of this is confusing. I did not expect there to be so much home work and confusion when we started our van life search
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 07:00

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Ex rental will always be high mileage and abused to hell. imho.
If your not mechanically minded I can see you plan coming to tears. Especially when renting out.
Basically look at older but lower mileages.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 07:52

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
There's really nothing wrong with a high mileage van so long as it has been well looked after and maintained properly.

As Ray suggests the problem with ex rental is not so much the mileage so long as a decent and reputable company owned it, it will most likely have been well maintained, however how it had been treated and used will be something else, most users will have been first time or unfamiliar to the world of motorhome use and a few will probably have had little regard for the welfare of the vehicle.

You mention self build, if you search around the various blogs etc. for so called van life, you will see many references to builds that start on ex company vans with the sort of mileage you suggest.

Another thought, not all low mileage vehicles are trouble free, having said that most people do think like yourself when searching for a vehicle an then mileage does matter.

raynipper and nztravel like this.

John

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 17:03

Are you looking to buy in GB or is it for NZ use?

IF GB, the govt has recently changed the rules regarding self-conversions so please research your proposals, especially if you hope to rent it out.

Also consider the logistics of renting out; are you going to offer breakdown cover whilst you are away because I can imagine professional organisations having little interest in helping you.

What are the weight figures for this 6berth van that you are interested in? Can people drive it on a car licence? ie is it under 3.5T? Will it have enough payload to be legal with 6 people in it?

Good luck - Gordon
nztravel likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to H1-GBV For This Useful Post:
nztravel (11-02-2020)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 20:04 Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back, The van conversion was defiantly a option to start with but as we added the costs of the actual conversion we realised a motorhome was very similar in cost. NZ now has very strict laws around SELF CONTAINED vehicles. The feed back is great as we will now start looking at campers that have perhaps had one or two owners and perhaps not the ex rentals as it sounds like they may have had a tough life.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 20:12 Thread Starter

Hi Gordon
It will be for use in NZ. The summer months here are stunning and the suns out till 10 pm so we figured why not get a camper and live with some freedom.

The 6 berth I referred too can be driven on a car licence. We have also looked at some 4 berths which are within our price range and 2010 models and not ex rentals. Its so interesting to get peoples opinions and knowledge and really does help in our quest to get the perfect camper.

In terms of renting it out when we are not here we will rent in on a site called shareacamper which is like air bnb for campers. they cover all insurances etc. We know it will be a risk but figured the profits we get would help maintain the vehicle over time. We also get to pick and choose who we let rent it and can look at there reviews etc. putting 59-60 K into a camper is a big investment and for us and to have the possibility of making some back makes it a little bit easier to convince my wife lol

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and look forward to any more replies
eurajohn and raynipper like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 20:53

OK

Some things you may already appreciate, such as MHs in NZ are much more expensive than in Europe, so knowing your place to work is important.

Some folk buy vans here and ship them out, making a considerable profit by claiming back VAT here (as it's "exported"). Perhaps you may consider that in the future BUT you would have to look into the legal aspects.

I have no idea about licences etc in NZ but here a car licence allows us to drive upto 3.5T but above that you either need "grandfather rights" or pass a test to drive upto 7.5T. To get 6 people into a 3.5T vehicle, along with all their belongings, is nigh on impossible. However, that doesn't stop some manufacturers producing them nor some dealers selling them. Do look carefully at your options.

Most folk here reckon that renting out their pride and joy would be difficult. NO-ONE is going to take the care that you take over your own vehicles and my kids refuse to take our MH out as they know I would be upset if something happened, despite having had one or two knocks of my own. IF you rent your van and it comes back damaged, might you have to lose the next rental opportunity while the van is mended? If it's an "older" vehicle, will spare parts be readily available?

As you say, it's a lot of money to lay out so make sure you do your research thoroughly. Good luck - Gordon
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 22:59 Thread Starter

Campers seem to be a hell of a lot more expensive in Nz than the UK. We did float the idea of import and is still a posssibibilty as the savings are absolutely worth it. We will need to check all the on road laws and conversion laws before we thought to seriously about it.

We would investigate any potential bookings and see what there reviews and background is. We wont be overly emothionly connected to the MH so renting it wont be to much of a pain for us. As we love to chase the summer months this really does look like the best option for us. We may look to rent it only 4-5x so feel we can manage this quite easily.

Great to get an idea into some potential pitfalls and start getting a clearer idea of the camper/ Motor home we will purchase.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2020, 11:14

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by H1-GBV View Post
OKTo get 6 people into a 3.5T vehicle, along with all their belongings, is nigh on impossible.
I think this could be a biggie. Depending on NZ law.

You might find yourself sending the van out on hire overweight and in an illegal state. Not sure who would be responsible then.

Payload (difference between the ACTUAL weight of the MH - as measured on a weighbridge, not taking any dealer's word for it - and its max allowed, legal, weight) is a very important figure.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page