Beginning of the end for motorhoming - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 08:43 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Beginning of the end for motorhoming

The Petrol and diesel vehicle ban brought forward to 2035. Will electric powered motor homes be a viable option by then. Of course those diesel powered ones will still be able to be used but I bet the tax regime penalises them.

"It's likely the government will have to change the way fuel is taxed to make up for losing billions of pounds at the pump.

The government raised about £27.9bn from fuel duties in 2016-17, according to the Office for Budget Responsibility. That's getting on for 4% of the total tax take."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51366123
patp likes this.

Last edited by rayc; 04-02-2020 at 08:53.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 09:13

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
As I will be 94 by then I wonder what I will be driving.?
We have been thinking about a new car for some years now and always put it off either because emission legislation or advances in the automotive industry.
So we carry on driving our 17 year old diesel which is obviously not as 'clean' as any new cars. But nothing at the moment encourages us to make a leap onto the electric vehicle platform.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 09:39

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,030 Times in 895 Posts
Personal Aire
2035? I would expect flying / hover motorhomes by then surely. Driven by robots.
erneboy likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 09:42

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
No chance Baz. If we can just take a 47 year retrograde step as of 31st.Jan. theres no hope for the future.

Ray.
erneboy likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 10:12

I dont want to be the bringer of doom but is it worth thinking too far ahead with the state of the planet?

Back to the post, can various countries ( I'm thinking Spain here) accommodate more and more motorhomes?
This year, in the area we live in ,wild camping is going totally over the top, in fairness to motorhomers the local campsites are bursting at the seams so perhaps it's up to Spain now to invest in more campsites.
Perhaps Brexit will change the length of stays for campervans particularly if pets are involved so lessening the the number of vans in the equation?
patp likes this.

As I'm a dyslexic and I've had two stokes you are going to see spelling/grammar mistakes, so please don't act superior and point them out!

The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself. Rita Mae Brown.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 10:30

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygit View Post
I dont want to be the bringer of doom but is it worth thinking too far ahead with the state of the planet?

Back to the post, can various countries ( I'm thinking Spain here) accommodate more and more motorhomes?
This year, in the area we live in ,wild camping is going totally over the top, in fairness to motorhomers the local campsites are bursting at the seams so perhaps it's up to Spain now to invest in more campsites.
Perhaps Brexit will change the length of stays for campervans particularly if pets are involved so lessening the the number of vans in the equation?
Only scrupulously honest Brits will limit their stays in motorhomes in Spain I think. The rest will very likely just take the chance of being asked to leave is my guess.

In any case Brits make up a very small proportion of the total number of vans. My experience of helping out at a busy aire in Spain leads to me to believe that Brits might make up as little as 1%, possibly less, of the total number.
greygit and patp like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 11:01 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygit View Post
How far is too far? A generation, a lifetime or until the Sun burns out?
patp and peribro like this.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
How far is too far? A generation, a lifetime or until the Sun burns out?
Apparently the ice at the poles is melting at an alarming so raising sea levels so some countries are getting very nervous and of course we have the fires in Australia, so how long is a piece of string?
patp likes this.

As I'm a dyslexic and I've had two stokes you are going to see spelling/grammar mistakes, so please don't act superior and point them out!

The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself. Rita Mae Brown.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 16:50 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I am tempted to put my name down for a 2034 motorhome .
"There could even be a boom in petrol or diesel sales in 2034, as motorists prepare to buy combustion engines for the final time."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40726868
patp likes this.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 17:39

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
It seems unlikely that many of the generation following us will be sufficiently well off to be able to do what we do. We've been lucky to have grown up when we did. Working life is different for many now and pensions are less generous and on offer a good deal later. I'm sorry that in the main they won't have the same opportunities, unless they do exceptionally well or inherit substantial sums.
greygit and Nethernut like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page