Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Motorhome ChitChat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/20-motorhome-chitchat/)
-   -   Beginning of the end for motorhoming (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/20-motorhome-chitchat/238061-beginning-end-motorhoming.html)

rayc 04-02-2020 08:43

Beginning of the end for motorhoming

The Petrol and diesel vehicle ban brought forward to 2035. Will electric powered motor homes be a viable option by then. Of course those diesel powered ones will still be able to be used but I bet the tax regime penalises them.

"It's likely the government will have to change the way fuel is taxed to make up for losing billions of pounds at the pump.

The government raised about £27.9bn from fuel duties in 2016-17, according to the Office for Budget Responsibility. That's getting on for 4% of the total tax take."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51366123

raynipper 04-02-2020 09:13

As I will be 94 by then I wonder what I will be driving.?
We have been thinking about a new car for some years now and always put it off either because emission legislation or advances in the automotive industry.
So we carry on driving our 17 year old diesel which is obviously not as 'clean' as any new cars. But nothing at the moment encourages us to make a leap onto the electric vehicle platform.

Ray.

barryd 04-02-2020 09:39

2035? I would expect flying / hover motorhomes by then surely. Driven by robots.

raynipper 04-02-2020 09:42

No chance Baz. If we can just take a 47 year retrograde step as of 31st.Jan. theres no hope for the future.

Ray.

greygit 04-02-2020 10:12

I dont want to be the bringer of doom but is it worth thinking too far ahead with the state of the planet?

Back to the post, can various countries ( I'm thinking Spain here) accommodate more and more motorhomes?
This year, in the area we live in ,wild camping is going totally over the top, in fairness to motorhomers the local campsites are bursting at the seams so perhaps it's up to Spain now to invest in more campsites.
Perhaps Brexit will change the length of stays for campervans particularly if pets are involved so lessening the the number of vans in the equation?

erneboy 04-02-2020 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by greygit (Post 3073695)
I dont want to be the bringer of doom but is it worth thinking too far ahead with the state of the planet?

Back to the post, can various countries ( I'm thinking Spain here) accommodate more and more motorhomes?
This year, in the area we live in ,wild camping is going totally over the top, in fairness to motorhomers the local campsites are bursting at the seams so perhaps it's up to Spain now to invest in more campsites.
Perhaps Brexit will change the length of stays for campervans particularly if pets are involved so lessening the the number of vans in the equation?

Only scrupulously honest Brits will limit their stays in motorhomes in Spain I think. The rest will very likely just take the chance of being asked to leave is my guess.

In any case Brits make up a very small proportion of the total number of vans. My experience of helping out at a busy aire in Spain leads to me to believe that Brits might make up as little as 1%, possibly less, of the total number.

rayc 04-02-2020 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by greygit (Post 3073695)

How far is too far? A generation, a lifetime or until the Sun burns out?

greygit 04-02-2020 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayc (Post 3073707)
How far is too far? A generation, a lifetime or until the Sun burns out?

Apparently the ice at the poles is melting at an alarming so raising sea levels so some countries are getting very nervous and of course we have the fires in Australia, so how long is a piece of string?

rayc 04-02-2020 16:50

I am tempted to put my name down for a 2034 motorhome .
"There could even be a boom in petrol or diesel sales in 2034, as motorists prepare to buy combustion engines for the final time."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40726868

erneboy 04-02-2020 17:39

It seems unlikely that many of the generation following us will be sufficiently well off to be able to do what we do. We've been lucky to have grown up when we did. Working life is different for many now and pensions are less generous and on offer a good deal later. I'm sorry that in the main they won't have the same opportunities, unless they do exceptionally well or inherit substantial sums.