Winter trip to Spain - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 08:24 Thread Starter

Winter trip to Spain

It was always our intention to spend the winters in Spain. We managed it once or twice in years gone by. One year I persuaded my boss to let me take all my yearly holiday in one lump so that we could spend dodge Christmas and travel to Spain. We then full timed for nearly three years and spent the winters in Spain and Portugal. Then life got in the way.

Last year we made it again and here we are this year on our way!

Each year I say I am never doing it again because shutting down life in England and carting off to Spain is very stressful! All sorts of claims on our time and energy, This year we embarked upon a self build bungalow that clogged up the gears!

Nevertheless we spent Christmas in Kent with our daughter having packed up hearth and home beforehand. All was nearly ready when the dog went missing!
We were on our usual walk and she was enjoying flushing the birds and suddenly she wasn't! I whistled and called but no sight or sound of her. I organised a search party which, with the power of Facebook, took on its own life. Darkness fell and I was distraught!

To be continued ..................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 10:30

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes I like that Pat. The expression of 'life' getting in the way.
We were packed and two days away from heading south after eleven months of planning and booking for it all to come to a grinding halt.
Just hope we can still find the enthusiasm to plan again for next year and the apartment will be available.

Ray.
trek and JanHank like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 10:40 Thread Starter

Georgia had been missing for twelve hours when we had to give up and go to bed. All authorities were informed and we had one or two clues ( a loud yelp heard by a farmer ) to follow up in the daylight. I had printed off loads of posters and put them up around the village. She was on the excellent website DogLost as well as in the lost and found books at all the vets and the police etc.
At first light we went to check out the report of a scream heard about the time she went missing. Both Chris and I had checked the area but not seen her. We got out of the car at a free range chicken unit surrounded by electric fence and called her name. She came from out is sight in about ten seconds flat! She was freezing cold and soaking wet but she was in my arms! Phew!

All plans for the trip were back on a very delayed track! We had to pack the van with Christmas and Trip stuff and in all the confusion we inevitably left stuff out but at least Georgia was with us. My adrenaline was so high that I had another lost night's sleep.

Christmas was delightful at our daughter's. The only fly in the ointment was the mud! Oh how we were looking forward to leaving that behind - though, of course, we would take quite a bit of it with us!
erneboy, joeirish and raynipper like this.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 11:15

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Glad you git her Pat. I couldn't bear to lose either of ours.

One of them is a bit of a wanderer. I think she does it on the basis that she knows her way around, which she does. On the few occasions she's wandered off she has made her own way back. The problem is that there's a very busy road here and she has no road sense. We couldn't bear it if the daft fecker got herself squashed.

She'll wander round behind a tree for a sniff and 99 times out of a hundred she'll be back in a minute. The hundredth time she does that thing that the native tracker did in Crocodile Dundee, you watch him wander away and suddenly he just isn't there any longer. She hears us calling. I know she does. I've seen how that works when she's in sight. I call she looks at me and I can almost hear her saying "OK, OK, just a minute, there's a dead thing here I need to eat, then I'll come." She's a ratbag.
patp and JanHank like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 16:32

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
What a dreadful experience Pat, the only thing Motley hunts are mice, he only ever picked one up and that had been dead for yonks, he dropped it like a hot potato when I said leave.

Lets hear the good bits from now on Hope the weather is good to you and keep away from the strays.
patp likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 17:54 Thread Starter

Her recall is pretty good (normally ) but I am pretty sure that we have a local hare that lures the dog into the free range chicken unit by ducking under the fence and laughing as the dog gets zapped! Our Romanian rescue fell for it too!

Anyways we made our way to the tunnel, clutching Georgia tight, only to find it was delayed. This put our schedule out and we spent the night in a village car park rather than the camp site we were headed for West of Rouen. All the stress was still pumping and I start to get very fed up with the whole idea. I didn't sleep well and Chris never sleeps well if we wild camp so two grumpy people set off for the next stage of the journey.

Then the wonderful people on here helped us out with the CampingCarPark nudge that I needed. We stopped for lunch and did a bit of searching and found a site at Lisburn. It was beside a large lake so Georgia got a nice walk and it was safe and quiet for us to sleep well. I have documented elsewhere that it is very tight fit for large vehicles.

Next stop was on the Atlantic coast at a nice little site in Labenne Ocean. It is set in woodland not far from the sea. The trees give shelter from any strong winds but you can just about hear the waves. We were treated to some owl noise the first night which we are quite used to.
A lovely walk the next day found us at a beautiful, unspoilt, beach for Georgia to have a romp. I did risk her off lead as I think that rogue hare was still in Norfolk! We were a bit shocked to encounter a hunter complete with gun and gundog! It made the next couple of walks a bit nerve wracking. His dog had a bell round its neck to protect it from being shot but we were sans bell!
We decided on a rest day here and went on some longer walks. We thought we were safe from New Years Eve noise but the firework noise still reached us and the wolves in a nearby zoo (we hoped) were howling along with what sounded like a rave going on in the woods! We would, however, return to this site if we come back the same way.

The nose of the truck is pointing towards Zaragoza and the campsite suggested by GMJ (thankfully open!). Weather cold but fine so far.
JanHank likes this.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 18:01 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Glad you git her Pat. I couldn't bear to lose either of ours.

One of them is a bit of a wanderer. I think she does it on the basis that she knows her way around, which she does. On the few occasions she's wandered off she has made her own way back. The problem is that there's a very busy road here and she has no road sense. We couldn't bear it if the daft fecker got herself squashed.

She'll wander round behind a tree for a sniff and 99 times out of a hundred she'll be back in a minute. The hundredth time she does that thing that the native tracker did in Crocodile Dundee, you watch him wander away and suddenly he just isn't there any longer. She hears us calling. I know she does. I've seen how that works when she's in sight. I call she looks at me and I can almost hear her saying "OK, OK, just a minute, there's a dead thing here I need to eat, then I'll come." She's a ratbag.
Georgia does a similar thing. Just checks we are still waiting and will then come straight back. The trouble is that she is very fit and can get a long way away in no time at all. Mostly she will come straight back without being called and will turn and come back if I call her. On the occasion in question she was flushing rooks out of a stubble field and got further and further away. A dip in the ground and I lost sight and she was gone. We were not too far from home so I was not, initially, too worried until I was! All I kept thinking was that someone had taken her I knew she would come back if she could or, failing that, she knew the way home. Neither happened and we really feared the worst.
erneboy and JanHank like this.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 18:14

Our old Lab/Dane cross always wanted to lead and head off in front of you. So if we turned and headed in the other direction it wasn't long before you heard him pounding up behind you and off into the lead again. We could walk two miles and he would cover six. But always wanted to be able to see us.

Ray.
erneboy, patp and JanHank like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 19:31 Thread Starter

If I live long enough to get another dog I am not getting a hunting breed again. I will get a little toy breed or a herding breed or perhaps a cat
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 19:59

I love other peoples pets Dogs or cats. Much cheaper and still have the freedom and not so much anguish when they 'go'.

Ray.
patp and Mrplodd like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page