Winter trip to Spain - Page 6 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 09:25

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Sounds a good idea to store the fiver and do the journey in the truck Pat. Once you have done the touring and visiting on the way down. Obviously cheaper and less arduous with more flexibility. The storage place needs to be researched and no 'dry' river bed locations.! They have a habit of reverting to rivers in seconds. And a bit of shade to try and protect the roof joints from the summer sun.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifes savings. Guess what? He robbed us of 750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 10:54 Thread Starter

No dry river beds in the vicinity so that box is ticked. Nor sure we have roof joints but will certainly check to make certain. It does not have the rubberised roof common on American trailers. Chris tells me there is one joint in the fibreglass roof half way down to join back to front so might have to protect that.
The other vans in storage here are on site but just further away from the entrance and parked close together. The fiver owners next to us leave their van permanently on a plot. We will ask for a quote for both options as keeping it on a plot of our choosing would be great. If not we will have to drive the truck here to move the van from the storage to whatever plot was available when we arrived. Much nicer to drive in a saloon car and know that "our" plot is available. We read, from our conversation with the site owner last night, that they target the winter visitor most of all so they will be glad if we are looking to make it a more permanent arrangement. There is also the possibility of leaving the dog at home on the odd occasion and flying in for a short break
raynipper likes this.
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 18:13

I fell in love with the Celtic Rambler on my first trip to Peterboro' show, when we still had a trailer tent. At that time the tow car was an Izuzu Denver, I think.

I still loved it the following year, when the Navarra was the tug of choice.

Then one came up cheap on ebay so we went to N Wales to sus it out, as it was there for "refurbishment". However, the ebay price was without the refurb, which was going to add another 10k or so. The tow car was in Brighton!

We were advised that the Rambler was to "tow and stay" rather than to "tour" and that access could be a problem in some places. We were disappointed but could see why that would be so.

So we bought our Rapido and have kept that for coming up 14y. However, old age is creeping up on us so we may need to change our mode of operation.

Enjoy your hols - Gordon

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 19:25 Thread Starter

You have good taste Gordon I wouldn't agree wholeheartedly with the "tow and stay" opinion. We tour with ours and have met others doing exactly that. It just takes a bit more thought. We regularly stay on CL's but just spend a bit more time researching their location and access. The rambler tows like a dream and it will overtake lorries at 80mph where necessary while remaining steady as a rock.

We knew we were coming to the end of our motorhoming days due to metal knees, arthritis, heart problems, lung problems and that is just one of us We needed an island bed desperately and I longed to be able to switch a light on to read at night in a separate room during periods of wakefulness
Yes we do miss aspects of our motorhome. The big one is days out by the sea just parked up somewhere quiet. We can, however, use the truck for that so no big deal really.

Today we ran down to the coast and had lunch at a nice Tapas bar right on the beach at Torrevieja. No worries about height barriers or blocking peoples view. Popped into Lidl for a top up of supplies and then poodled along the coast for a look at Mar Menor and all the fancy yachts in the marina there.
raynipper and aldra like this.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old Today, 07:56 Thread Starter

Our thinking about leaving the fiver here and commuting to it has changed. Chris is struggling to walk up the hills around here. There are lots of lovely tracks and unmade roads to use with mountains not too far away. This makes the views lovely but poor old Chris just cannot walk up slopes any more.

So, we are on the look out for nice sites in flatter landscapes. They need to be near countryside where we can walk the dog from the site which is important to us. Near the coast would seem ideal but then, of course, the price goes up and the plots get smaller

Our favourite area is the Cabo de Gata National Park. We have spent whole winters there before. It is, however, a little lacking in amenities. In order to stock up the larder it is a long trip over the mountains. Not a deal breaker but something to bear in mind.

Turre, near Mojacar, runs it a close second and is blessed with lots of amenities including some British cafes for when we need a change of conversation The campsite that we stayed at last winter is ruled out because of the noise problem with the dogs next door to the site among other things So, we keep tinkering with other ideas like buying a plot, buying a ruin or renting an apartment. If we were younger we would seriously consider opening a campsite in the area.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old Today, 09:34

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Be very careful about buying a plot or a ruin. It's very easy to buy a pig in a poke in Spain. Also I don't know if you're aware of it but Spain has an massive industry in burglaries meaning that a remote plot or ruin would be all but impossible to secure. It's strange in what seems generally to be quite a law abiding country to discover that burglary goes on at industrial scale.

Sorry if you knew all that.
patp likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old Today, 12:29

After retiring here in Norfolk I got a job in Marbella. We were "allocated" a somewhat-basic front-line 3bed, 3 bath apartment in Fuegirola for 500 per month plus utilities. Unfortunately the TV only got Spanish progs AND the restaurant underneath went up in flames one Friday night!

We found a really nice 2bed, 2bath apartment on a golf resort just outside Marbella, complete with 3 swimming pools for 700 pm plus utilities. We were much happier there.

We went by car although originally I'd considered going in the MH but a pitch was approx 300pm and the facilities would have been much less attractive. Also, the cost of ferry crossing, mpg and in-Spain travel was much easier, although hotels en-route were more costly than aires.

I have talked to several MHers who travel out in Autumn and rent a flat until Spring. The costs are not that high and the MH allows them to make the journey part of the experience. Each year they can go to a different area, although we have friends who have returned to the same place on the Algarve for 3 decades (they fly and rent a car).

Why not have a look at some apartments while you are out there and find out what the cost would be for a couple of months rental? A few years ago there was even a TV series about people renting in the sun for the winter.

Gordon

REMEMBER: After 31st Jan you will probably be restricted to 90days in Schengen countries in any 180day period.

Gordon
patp likes this.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old Today, 12:57

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Our costs taking the car and renting a sea view apartment on the Algarve for 10 to 12 weeks have gone from 2000 in 2014 to 3000 in 2019.
Thats rental, fuel, tools, overnight en route but not including food. But we now have a front line lovely apartment.

They are about and when you factor in about 500 saving heating back home and cheaper dining out it's even better. We also don't have the motorhome expenses now.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifes savings. Guess what? He robbed us of 750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old Today, 14:49 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Be very careful about buying a plot or a ruin. It's very easy to buy a pig in a poke in Spain. Also I don't know if you're aware of it but Spain has an massive industry in burglaries meaning that a remote plot or ruin would be all but impossible to secure. It's strange in what seems generally to be quite a law abiding country to discover that burglary goes on at industrial scale.

Sorry if you knew all that.
Its funny you should mention the burglaries because we often wonder at all the security around domestic properties. It is the norm to see metal grills on all windows, burglar alarms and loose dogs! We had heard that loose dogs give you a discount on your house insurance but not sure if that is true. I think we have all but discounted the idea anyway. Too much hassle buying and then if one of us is left alone we would have to go through hassle again dealing with selling etc.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old Today, 15:04 Thread Starter

Thanks for the other suggestions. We might have a problem finding an apartment etc with the dog. Not impossible but difficult.

A google search has revealed a campsite near our favourite town of Turre that we were not fully aware of. The website makes it look amazing but we passed the site last year and, although there was activity there, I would be surprised if it is anything like the website is making it out to be. There is a, nice tidy, Park Home site adjacent and I have turned up a newspaper report suggesting that both are illegal as they have no licence. Knowing what goes on in Spain this might be a problem but then again it might not. If we take the fifth wheel and it gets shut down then we can move elsewhere.

We are off to see it tomorrow. The location is absolutely perfect for us though a bit rural for others. Just hope the authorities have not closed it down. I doubt they will as the area is not well served with campsites.

http://www.oasisparks.com/grand-oasis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page