Cassette toilet leaks - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 26-10-2019, 21:17 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Cassette toilet leaks

I have a leaky loo, and can't see why this is so, it has a new seal but when you pull out the cassette there is pee in the enclosure, it's a bit wiffy so need to sort it out.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 26-10-2019, 22:01

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
You need to totally strip down the cassette.
This involves getting down and dirty (I recommend Tescoís tough gloves) and stripping down the cassette completely.
Flip off the two slide guides and unscrew and remove the inlet surround and main seal. Twist the emptying spout clockwise back and wriggle it to pull it out. Similar with the yellow(?) auto vent. Pull or lever the circular blade up and off, then, hand inside to remove the white clip that you can see through the auto-vent hole. Remove the blade carrier. Remove any thing else that youíre brave enough to!
I used Thetford products: Deep clean and Descaler. Give all the removed bits and the cassette interior hell. Use wooden or plastic implements to scrape every last bit of scale and other clag off. Any deposits left will encourage scale to redeposit very quickly.
While youíve been doing all this the rubber seals you cleaned off several days ago (yes, itís a long job) will most probably have reformed back to their original dimensions and thickness. I only replaced the auto-vent seal, the rest were still in good nick.
Put it all back together (such an innocent sentence!) and test for leaks. Now youíre in a position to replace any defective seals because theyíre worn and not just got a build-up on them.
Good luck.
HurricaneSmith likes this.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacerunner For This Useful Post:
Pudsey_Bear (27-10-2019)
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 26-10-2019, 22:02

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Some bogs have tops held onto the base by clips. The Thetford 220C, being a swivel bowl, is one example.

Freshen up and seal kits for this toilet used to come with new clips because the clips stretched and eventually caused the kind of problem you mention. I don't know if that only applies to swivel bowl bogs but it does sound as though your bowl isn't connecting to the seal as it should.

The same Thetford had vents built into the cassette. I'm a little vague about this now because it been a few years since we had one. But as I recall the vents could overflow perhaps even when the cassette wasn't full.

I had endless problems with one of these bogs in a new Frankia around 9 or 10 years ago. If any of that sounds familiar to you it should be possible to turn up my threads using my name and Thetford C200.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
Pudsey_Bear (27-10-2019)

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 26-10-2019, 22:26

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,017 Times in 882 Posts
Personal Aire
Ours has always leaked a bit. I think it could be a C200 I dunno. Its the long bigun. The other day I took it across the large field to the empty point on the scooter, lost control in the mud and ended up in a heap with an exploded thetford covered in sh1t.

My advice would be before this happens to you just throw it in a skip and get a new one. Thats what I will do once I have finished the therapy sessions that I have had to undertake following this recent incident.
erneboy, Pudsey_Bear and JanHank like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
Pudsey_Bear (27-10-2019)
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 26-10-2019, 22:39

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Naw, couldn't be a C200. They were only invented during WW1.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 26-10-2019, 22:45

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,017 Times in 882 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Naw, couldn't be a C200. They were only invented during WW1.
I Think the Kontiki was used in the Boer war as a hospital vehicle.
erneboy, Pudsey_Bear and Kaytutt like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 27-10-2019, 08:08

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I Think the Kontiki was used in the Boer war as a hospital vehicle.

Still a hospital vehicle - Mental Hospital
bigtree and Pudsey_Bear like this.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 27-10-2019, 08:58 Thread Starter

It's this model, C402/3. I'm not sure how well it's been looked after, I bought back my self build on Friday, the price was very right, but the whole van is a muck tub.

I'm in two minds to just get a whole new one fitted by a pro and sod the cost, but will probably end up trying to sort it myself.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 27-10-2019, 17:49

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
There is basically only one point where what goes into the bowl can leak from and thatís the lip seal between the bowl and the cassette UNLESS theres a split/hole/leak in the actual cassette of course.,

Try using VERY hot water to see if thereís a leak. Hot water is a lot less dense than cold water and will find a leak better than cold water. (petrol is even thinner, but thatís a bit drastic,)

Are you SURE itís pee?? The only reason I ask is that I had an issue with water in the bottom of the cassette housing that I THOUGHT was urine (But wasnít) The seal around the locker door was letting water in. Later models have a small moulding just above the locker door to divert water to the sides. Worth checking, use some food dye in some water and pour it against the door with a watering can or similar.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
Pudsey_Bear (27-10-2019)
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 27-10-2019, 19:12 Thread Starter

This type of loo has it's own water tank, the old owner used a blue solution to keep the smell down, and under the tank is all blue, loads of it, I'll take a picture of it tomorrow, the loo was bought off Ebay for the original build so I don't know it's history, I put a new seal in it and it appears to seal when you have the valve closed and fill the bowl, so the blue must be coming out of the cassette somehow, the cassette has no staining on it, only the actual loo inside.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page