Report of Jans breakdown - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 18:45

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Oh my goodness!!

Can your insurer give you any advice?

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 18:51 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
I am checking with Tyne Valley where we bought it to see if the engine is still under Guarantee, its only done just over 44,000 km.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 19:05

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
How old is your van Jan? What mileage?

I'm sure it's out of warranty but anything as major as a broken crankshaft is absurd in a youngish. low mileage motorhome driven by a mature person. If it was mine I'd have it taken to a Fiat dealer and I'd want a very comprehensive explanation and I think I'd be expecting the manufacturer to at least contribute to the repair.

To be quite honest it sounds an absurd failure, even if it is true. It just shouldn't happen, not without some other cause.

Speculating here. Eurajohn will know better. But I'd think perhaps a top end failure leaving something for a piston to whack, and even then breaking the crank is a good trick.

Fiat garage and explanation for sure I'd say. Then decide what's next.

Rotten luck.
HurricaneSmith and barryd like this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 19:21

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Agree with all Alan posted, a broken crankshaft is without doubt a catastrophic failure and certainly not usual for a relatively new van.

Their code reader should be able to pick up the sequence of errors that led to such a failure unless it was defective material in the shaft itself. A crankshaft is a substantial piece of metal that would not snap easily. I’ve seen a camshaft failure causing valve contact and damage to pistons and con rods but not breaking crankshafts.

Definitely get another opinion Jan.

Terry
barryd likes this.

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 19:57

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
If, as I read it, the engine has not been dismantled yet - and doing so would require authorisation for probably half the cost if not a bit more.... then their suspicion is that it MIGHT be the crankshaft but I have only ever heard of one and that was mine on the much lighter build petrol engine for a Morris 1000 A series engine.

That being the case my suspicion would be cam belt failure leading to catastrophic top end damage. Do you know if it has ever been replaced as the recommendation is five years or a mileage which I do not know.

I read that yours is a 2014 bought by you in 2015 and it is not likely that a dealer would replace a cam belt on a one year old engine..... so five years from 2014 brings you to......

The only way of finding out is to strip the engine, a cam belt breaking can damage the cylinders and the pistons when things are open that should not be, but the crankshaft would only snap if the force applied to it was truly enormous - that is why Diesel engines are built so heavily because of how they work.

That is not an answer though and without some dismantling you may not get an answer -sadly no dealer is likely to listen until they hear what the actual problem is..... which means expense, but if it is the cam belt they may well say it is due to a lack of maintenance as you should have replaced it after five years from manufacture.
raynipper likes this.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 08-10-2019 at 20:02.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 20:05

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
In your initial report you said it made a grinding noise and stopped and then it said "no engine".
From experience ladies interpretation of noises is often less than accurate, can you add anything to the explanation, but I don't understand the no engine, was that message displayed on the dash?

After it stopped when you tried to restart did the engine turn over and if so did it appear to turn more quickly on the starter than normal?

erneboy and tugboat like this.

John
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 20:09

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Me, like Jon Snow, know nothing

So crossing fingers and toes and hoping Jan

Sandra
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 20:29

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
h
im sorry to hear that you have had more worries

do you think the garage has the equipment and capabilities to take on a strip and rebuild of an engine, especially a fiat ducato engine with all the electronics that will need resetting

i think the van should really go to a garage that specializes in small commercial vans as most car garages just dont have the space to store a van that is bieng worked on

i am wondering if they really meant the crankshaft as it is more common for it to be the timing belt/ camshafts

and checking the timing belt should only take them a short time and should be ruled out first

possibly you could get adac to get involved

barry
erneboy, HurricaneSmith and barryd like this.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 21:25 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplus View Post
h
im sorry to hear that you have had more worries

do you think the garage has the equipment and capabilities to take on a strip and rebuild of an engine, especially a fiat ducato engine with all the electronics that will need resetting

i think the van should really go to a garage that specializes in small commercial vans as most car garages just dont have the space to store a van that is bieng worked on

i am wondering if they really meant the crankshaft as it is more common for it to be the timing belt/ camshafts

and checking the timing belt should only take them a short time and should be ruled out first

possibly you could get adac to get involved

barry
As I'm no lady maybe my noise description is right, I told Heike it sounded as if a belt had broken and got caught, the engine immediately cut out and I turned the key to start and it just made a clonk as if the battery was absolutely flat and the no engine was on the dash panel.
The garage is an ADAC garage and they are my breakdown people. I have put a link on this thread for the exact garage, but here it is again. They are not a Fiat garage.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowCnoECA8QBg

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 21:36

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
As I'm no lady maybe my noise description is right, I told Heike it sounded as if a belt had broken and got caught, the engine immediately cut out and I turned the key to start and it just made a clonk as if the battery was absolutely flat and the no engine was on the dash panel.
The garage is an ADAC garage and they are my breakdown people. I have put a link on this thread for the exact garage, but here it is again. They are not a Fiat garage.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowCnoECA8QBg
Some vans have all the luck

I’m only joking Jan

Gosh I get so worried these days

Have I offended someone ?

Sandra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page