Spending winter away from home - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-09-2019, 06:24 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Spending winter away from home

It begins to look as if I will be spending the winter months in Rheinland Pfalz with Heike and Jürgen and leave the house empty with Horst Marion and Erick in charge of heating etc.
My carer doesn't like the idea of me staying here alone in winter to brood and Heike and Jürgen discussed it and said I must go to them.

I have heard there is some remote device for checking the heating is working and turning the heat up if necessary. We have a Valiant VRC 420 boiler, how do I find out if it works with that? Any wizards who can help me? Haven´t asked my in house wizard yet, maybe he knows, but many hands make light work or many heads together can sort me out maybe.

Pig ignorant I am with all this fancy stuff.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-09-2019, 06:37

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Nephew in Madrid has this facility with his iPhone and a rather expensive 'controller' attached to his boiler and internet router.
Personally we have one or more radiators with frost stats that click on automatically if the temps get down to 2 or 3c. They only switch on for an hour or so at night as the conservatory heats all day.
We used to leave a fan heater in the van over winter set to the frost stat €12. Just ticked in now and again for 15 or 20 mins to raise the temps.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-09-2019, 07:18

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
One of my clients has this system in a large log cabin in the Dales which he controls from his iPhone or iPad anywhere in the world.

https://www.heatmiser.com/en/

Do you really need it though? Does your heating not currently have a frost setting timer thing? Especially if your thinking of selling but then I suppose it could add value. Possibly. Could be a bit of a winter adventure for you.
raynipper likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-09-2019, 07:21 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I´ll have a read of the book and get back to you.

I'm Jan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-09-2019, 07:34 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
The book says the heating system can be controlled remotely by the means of a communications interface (accessory ) This controls among other things , the operation mode and the required room temperature. (following the installation instructions for the accessory etc..etc.
If Alan can´t help I will as the plumber. These Jarman things are all over complicated.

I'm Jan
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-09-2019, 10:09

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
The book says the heating system can be controlled remotely by the means of a communications interface (accessory ) This controls among other things , the operation mode and the required room temperature. (following the installation instructions for the accessory etc..etc.
If Alan can´t help I will as the plumber. These Jarman things are all over complicated.
If your talking about your existing system it sounds as if there is an extra controller that can be purchased that plugs into an interface slot on your current controller. This will then pair with your wifi and there will be an app for your phone to work it. At least thats how I understand how these things work. I wouldnt mind one myself except our boiler is from the 19th century.

Shouldnt be a big job or too expensive I imagine.
JanHank likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-09-2019, 12:35
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
Why control remotely when the thermostat can be set to...say 5 or 10 degrees for 24 hours a day?
Perhaps that's too simple?

I use 10 for the house and a couple of sports club premises I am involved with it's 5 degrees.
raynipper and JanHank like this.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.

Last edited by EJB; 16-09-2019 at 12:37.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-09-2019, 14:25 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJB View Post
Why control remotely when the thermostat can be set to...say 5 or 10 degrees for 24 hours a day?
Perhaps that's too simple?

I use 10 for the house and a couple of sports club premises I am involved with it's 5 degrees.
Well see you know all about them there things, I'm a novice. I´ll do as you suggest and ask a neighbour to check every week or so to make sure the boiler hasn't broken down
raynipper likes this.

I'm Jan
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-09-2019, 14:30

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes Jan. Suggests he pops in when it's very cold to check the bottle of whiskey sitting on the table hasn't frozen.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-09-2019, 14:42

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
We leave our heating set to come on for an hour and a half in the morning and again for an hour and a half at night. Someone pops in to check that it's all OK now and then and especially after any very cold nights. That's in our holiday let house and we've been doing that for 20 years without problems. We do get the boiler serviced every year or two just to be sure though.
JanHank likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in