Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Island bed and good-sized kitchen

3K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  dghr272 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been reluctant to consider changing our MH to something heavier than our 3850kg Arto(which could be downgraded to 3500kg and still be usable) in case I failed my C1 Medical. This situation has changed now that I am regularising myself under Polish Law, because Poland does not require the equivalent of C1 Medicals.

I have therefore started looking at higher weight MHs to get an island bed.

I have trawled through the websites of the more upmarket converters such as N&B, Concorde, Phoenix, Carthago etc., although I do not want to buy new, but finding info on older secondhand models is difficult.

With newer MH layouts there seems to be a uniform trend to fit separate shower and toilet compartments. This is not on our must have list and to my mind is a waste of space for areas that one spends 5 mins. in.

The result of this trend, together with the space for an island bed results in the kitchen area being reduced with little ‘prep’ space. Our kitchen has bigger space in 7m than even some new 9m MHs. Plus our table is opposite the kitchen so provides extra space.

I am wondering whether anyone knows of models before this trend for two compartments that have an island bed and reasonable kitchen area. We would like to stay in the 8-8.5m length category.

Geoff

See less See more
#4 ·
It's the old story, Geoff, the people who design and build these things never actually try using them.

The trend is for 'form over function', style before useability, fancy materials at the expense of payload.

It makes me proper cross, I can tell you, and probably means I'll keep my old 2006 MH until it (or I) fall to bits.

#5 ·
It's the old story, Geoff, the people who design and build these things never actually try using them.

The trend is for 'form over function', style before useability, fancy materials at the expense of payload.

It makes me proper cross, I can tell you, and probably means I'll keep my old 2006 MH until it (or I) fall to bits.
Might be the same for us Geoff unless I can find the right one. Basia does not seem keen to change.

Geoff

#30 ·
Our Celtic Rambler Fifth Wheel fits your requirements exactly.

http://fifthwheelco.com/celtic-rambler/

And yes, you can still go in all the Aires in France because it is classed as "an articulated motorhome" with all the tanks on board.
As i said the 5th- wheeler does not fit.

But just out of interest how do they fit in with licence requirements - B1+E, C1+ E etc.? Because my C1+E has a restriction of 8250kgs which I assume is the total weight of tow vehicle and trailer.

Geoff

#9 ·
Could you wild camp in that Pat?

Reactions: patp
#10 ·
People do, Kev. There is a chap living in his and wildcamping in Spain and Portugal.

We do not have solar panels etc to make it easier but have spent the odd night or two off grid. Genny for back up though never needed.

They are almost impossible to steal. The truck that wanted to tow it away would need to be fitted with the right hitch for a start. Then the legs are electric, on a remote control, which you can take with you. The slide out also would need to be retracted before driving it off.

Underfloor heating with blown air for boosting. Full size cooker and fridge/freezer. Some people have had washing machines installed. My preference would be for a dishwasher but I can't persuade Chris :(

#13 ·
Pat

Not for us as has no garage and a pick-up would not be family friendly so need us to have two vehicles
Geoff
Sorry but you are wrong there Geoff. It has a huge garage that goes right under the bedroom and is about the same size as it. The door to it faces front so does not show in photos. You really have to see one in the flesh before discounting it. The storage is absolutely amazing. Under bed, behind the bed in the nose cone and all around the living area including under seating benches.
As for the tow vehicle, we use a VW Amorok crew cab with five, forward facing, belted seats. Some people are using Mercedes to tow them. Very family friendly in my opinion :)

#12 ·
Have a look at Autotrails Geoff.

Our 2017 Comanche has a fixed bed and a decent sized kitchen (microwave, oven, grill and 4 ring hob). The fridge could be bigger but it does come with a coolbox/larder underneath it.

Loads of storage space too...especially since I have had a mid shelf put in the kitchen cupboard thereby doubling up its space.

It's a TAG axle at 8.7m long but they do other models like the Delaware which is shorter and a single axle. All come with hefty payload as well.

Happy to answer any questions if you want to PM me.

Graham

#15 ·
The brochure in the link did not show or mention a garage, never mind one that is '9m x 7m' [sic]. What is cart-lodge style? - sounds very agricultural, and pick-up maybe not practical for 98 year old Mother to climb in and out. Also cannot imagine parking that rig in most aires we go to without unhitching - not our style of - handbrake on, gas on, wine open in 4 minutes. Nor trying to pull with that length and park near a boulangerie in a smal village.

So we will not be searching around Poland to view one.:laugh:

Thanks anyway

Geoff

#16 ·
You can unhitch on an aire, if you so desire, as they are classed as "articulated motorhomes". We have stayed on several with no problems.

As for MIL climbing in and out, well there I have to concede defeat :) :)

Sorry, about the garage measurements! I asked Chris - "how big is the garage" meaning the one in the fifth wheeler and he gave me the measurements of the, planned, cart lodge style garage in our new bungalow!!

Does 2m x 1.5m sound more plausible?

We are both now helpless with laughter at the thought of a 9m x 7m cart lodge style garage being carted round the countryside attached to the VW! :) :) :)

#19 ·
Ha ha , yes I would have agreed with you but the friends that we are travelling to France with this year ( the ones with the Rottweilers) have had one for a few years now. They are probably away in it more than they are at home, even in the Winter. They tend to do mountainous areas throughout Europe and it has been A1 so far. I don't know what engine it has but they also tow a Smart car with no problem. I know you don't like a separate toilet/ bathroom taking up space, but there is so much room in this thing that it doesn't matter. Let the moths out of your wallet , put another £25,000 or so to your old MH and you'll get a decent one. For the equivalent German one probably another £40,000, not sure the diff. is worth it.

#20 ·
Alan

Money does not come into it for the right machine as, at my age, I am prepared to dive into the Pension and ISA fund.

I have looked the the 669 on your suggestion, but I think I am really stuck on 'A' Class. Even the lines of the low-profile do not match an 'A' Class IMO.

Then there is the Swift reputation for build quality. You and I know we do not have worries with our N&Bs - well not from our era anyway.

I have just had trouble with the garage locks in quick succession - they went to locksmiths and it turned out problem was not locks but caused by key - maybe inferior copy in Slowakia. Friend refitted them in our abscence and now all fine again.

I think I will pass on 669 and derivatives.

Geoff

#21 ·
Don't totally discount the separate shower room Geoff. I agree it's not really necessary and we were quite happy with an integrated one in our last motorhome but in the van we have now, we use the shower room for storage. It's mostly bulky stuff that can be easily moved temporarily when necessary but because we mostly stay on sites, it's not too much of an inconvenience. It also comes in handy for storing a wet external silver screen as well as our inflatable kayak - not to say wet umbrellas, coats, etc etc.

#22 ·
It's always surprised me what people keep in their shower. We only used ours to actually shower.

Ray.

Reactions: patp and erneboy
#29 ·
Alan

Jumped a bit from suggesting a Swift 669 to a Cathargo e-line haven't you?

You said of 'that era' - what year was that?

True colours coming out

As for justifying the expense - have you tested Jayne on that, or is that where the stop comes?.

How about we share one Arto and a Cathargo? Except that we couples might want to be up the Pyrenees at the same time.

Geoff

#31 ·
No special licence required, Geoff. We both have the grandad rights to tow and it comes in under the weight limit.
VW Amorok is a 2 litre and tows it like a dream. They do recommend that you tow with an automatic as they had problems with people burning clutches. Suits us :)
So much easier to tow than a caravan too!

#32 ·
Pat you know my views on fivers by now. Great in the states where everything is pull-through and very popular with the American love of big powerful pickups.
But I realise The Fifth Wheel Co have adapted them for use in Europe with regular brakes and axles repositioned. And I'm sure the fiver works for you and your lifestyle. But would you still want to do much 'touring' with yours? I can see long periods of being static and having the truck to tour is advantageous but daily touring might not be so convenient.

Ray.

Reactions: nicholsong
#33 ·
No, Ray you are right. There is always a compromise. The main one being that, with our old Hymer, you could pop down to the beach in it or meander through tiny villages and still easily pull over anywhere.
If, however, you are comparing it to a large motorhome then I would say that there is not much in it. With a large motorhome all those advantages of the Hymer are negated. Any small advantages left are outweighed by the versatility of the fiver. It can go on Aires and small campsites, for touring, but is in a class of its own for enjoying long stays in the sun. This is the main reason we changed so that we can spend the winters in the sun.
Most of all we wanted an island bed and we have one. Next on the wish list was transport to shops and restaurants and beaches etc. We are past cycling and walking long distances. We can now go anywhere we like including off-roading! In Spain, last winter, we enjoyed driving down the ramblas as well as fantastic views from the tops of mountain donkey tracks and days in town or next to the beach. Towing a car behind a motorhome, which is the closest in convenience, when you can have a fifth wheeler was not an option for us.
As you say it has been designed for Europe and so no need for American sized campsites. We regularly stay on a tiny CL that many a large motorhome would struggle to access.

#36 ·
Well , hopefully our paths will cross again - and I also hope you will be in a new MH , curious to see what floated your boat.

PS . I met Gaspode after he had traded his Arto to a Rapido , he said " Just a little bit less quality, better layout and this thing is like a greyhound compared to the Arto " That was maybe four years ago , maybe he'll give us an update.

#37 ·
Well , hopefully our paths will cross again - and I also hope you will be in a new MH , curious to see what floated your boat.

PS . I met Gaspode after he had traded his Arto to a Rapido , he said " Just a little bit less quality, better layout and this thing is like a greyhound compared to the Arto " That was maybe four years ago , maybe he'll give us an update.
Alan

We met Ken when we bought his spare cassette, just after he got the Rapido. As an engineer he was not impressed then with the quality, but he had to get under 3500kg because of medical reasons. 'Greyhound'? - I would not have classed him as a 'man in a hurry'

As I said in my OP if I get a Polish Driving Licence the problem of C1 Medicals will disappear.

It would be nice to hear from Ken again. Where are you lad?

Geoff

#38 ·
Finished and ready to go - MH washed and polished inside and out, bumpers T Cut and polished, wheels painted , mirror arms painted etc etc etc , but I'm knackered. Think next time I'll employ someone to do it , and around here it's hard working , but easy to pay, Polish people that do that kind of work . No problem for you then Geoff.

Note the MHF sticker on the back - please say hello if you see me.

Apologies to the forum for making this post personal.

Attachments

#39 ·
Finished and ready to go - MH washed and polished inside and out, bumpers T Cut and polished, wheels painted , mirror arms painted etc etc etc , but I'm knackered. Think next time I'll employ someone to do it , and around here it's hard working , but easy to pay, Polish people that do that kind of work . No problem for you then Geoff.

Note the MHF sticker on the back - please say hello if you see me.

Apologies to the forum for making this post personal.
Looks great Alan. I had ours done for me but even here cost quite a bit, but that was coming up from a low point and they are full-time professional valeters and did a really good job.

Have a really good holiday.

Geoff

#40 ·
The paint on ours looks patchy, I might employ someone to sort it out, I'm past all that malarky if I can pay someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.