Island bed and good-sized kitchen - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 20-08-2019, 13:10 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Island bed and good-sized kitchen

I have been reluctant to consider changing our MH to something heavier than our 3850kg Arto(which could be downgraded to 3500kg and still be usable) in case I failed my C1 Medical. This situation has changed now that I am regularising myself under Polish Law, because Poland does not require the equivalent of C1 Medicals.

I have therefore started looking at higher weight MHs to get an island bed.

I have trawled through the websites of the more upmarket converters such as N&B, Concorde, Phoenix, Carthago etc., although I do not want to buy new, but finding info on older secondhand models is difficult.

With newer MH layouts there seems to be a uniform trend to fit separate shower and toilet compartments. This is not on our must have list and to my mind is a waste of space for areas that one spends 5 mins. in.

The result of this trend, together with the space for an island bed results in the kitchen area being reduced with little ‘prep’ space. Our kitchen has bigger space in 7m than even some new 9m MHs. Plus our table is opposite the kitchen so provides extra space.

I am wondering whether anyone knows of models before this trend for two compartments that have an island bed and reasonable kitchen area. We would like to stay in the 8-8.5m length category.

Geoff
raynipper likes this.

Last edited by nicholsong; 20-08-2019 at 13:13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 20-08-2019, 14:27

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
How about an RV Geoff.?

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 20-08-2019, 17:35 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
How about an RV Geoff.?

Ray.

How did I know you were going to say that before I opened the post?

Not seen an RV where I liked the design/decor.

Geoff

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 20-08-2019, 17:54

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
It's the old story, Geoff, the people who design and build these things never actually try using them.

The trend is for 'form over function', style before useability, fancy materials at the expense of payload.

It makes me proper cross, I can tell you, and probably means I'll keep my old 2006 MH until it (or I) fall to bits.

I'm daft and proud of it.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 20-08-2019, 17:57 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
It's the old story, Geoff, the people who design and build these things never actually try using them.

The trend is for 'form over function', style before useability, fancy materials at the expense of payload.

It makes me proper cross, I can tell you, and probably means I'll keep my old 2006 MH until it (or I) fall to bits.

Might be the same for us Geoff unless I can find the right one. Basia does not seem keen to change.

Geoff
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 20-08-2019, 20:41

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
How did I know you were going to say that before I opened the post?

Not seen an RV where I liked the design/decor.

Geoff

There are plenty of very nice looking European motorhomes. If you want comfort and function that'll be an RV, or one of the very new, very, very expensive European motorhomes which has all the features of an RV combined with European styling.

Though some of the latest RVs are pretty good. Getting better at least and a sh1t load cheaper than a Vario or the like.

I wasn't keen on the interior of ours, especially compared to, what was then, our very recent Frankia. No change out of £100,000.00 for a big-ish Frankia then. Small by RV standards. God knows now. Top Europeans are stylish, especially more recent ones. Our RV is a little deficient on style but it just works so well and scores over the Frankia in every respect, except looks.

I expect your old N&B must be looking dated by now too?
raynipper likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 20-08-2019, 21:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
There are plenty of very nice looking European motorhomes. If you want comfort and function that'll be an RV, or one of the very new, very, very expensive European motorhomes which has all the features of an RV combined with European styling.

Though some of the latest RVs are pretty good. Getting better at least and a sh1t load cheaper than a Vario or the like.

I wasn't keen on the interior of ours, especially compared to, what was then, our very recent Frankia. No change out of £100,000.00 for a big-ish Frankia then. Small by RV standards. God knows now. Top Europeans are stylish, especially more recent ones. Our RV is a little deficient on style but it just works so well and scores over the Frankia in every respect, except looks.

I expect your old N&B must be looking dated by now too?

Well actually Alan as far as the exterior of our 2003 Arto is concerned it does not look so different from many upmarket 'A' Class on offer now - if you ignore details like lights and mirrors. There are only so many variations one can make when building up from the front 'bumper' and providing a large screen, which all manufacturers seem to do.

Internally we have wood finish, which I much prefer to the trend to black/white/grey because it feels warmer. Upholstery is a different matter and can be changed for a few 'ooo. Yes we have a combined shower/loo with a curtain, but a generous size for showering and towelling down. Who knows whether the fashion will not go back to that layout, but anyway it suits us, especially to stay under 3500kg - probably does not worry the 'Big boys' yet, because they are selling to rich oldies with C1 licences, but in 10 years?

Sounds as though I am talking myself into keeping the Arto. Not really, if I could find the right layout.

Geoff
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 21-08-2019, 07:14

Our Celtic Rambler Fifth Wheel fits your requirements exactly.

http://fifthwheelco.com/celtic-rambler/

And yes, you can still go in all the Aires in France because it is classed as "an articulated motorhome" with all the tanks on board.
erneboy and Christine600 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to patp For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (21-08-2019)
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 22-08-2019, 11:08

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 22-08-2019, 12:18

People do, Kev. There is a chap living in his and wildcamping in Spain and Portugal.

We do not have solar panels etc to make it easier but have spent the odd night or two off grid. Genny for back up though never needed.

They are almost impossible to steal. The truck that wanted to tow it away would need to be fitted with the right hitch for a start. Then the legs are electric, on a remote control, which you can take with you. The slide out also would need to be retracted before driving it off.

Underfloor heating with blown air for boosting. Full size cooker and fridge/freezer. Some people have had washing machines installed. My preference would be for a dishwasher but I can't persuade Chris
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page