Motorhome Facts Forum banner

So whats been happening?

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  raynipper 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Long time, no post!

Well, my life has took some VERY surprising turns since I last posted. All very exciting and positive I hasten to add, but also made me question some things I thought.

So, what's been going on here in the last few years?

#3 · (Edited)
Sadly Brexit has occupied most of us in the last 3 years David. A few have gone and more have joined. But voyages and maintenance keep us informed.
Sadly we sold our Hobby 750 as it didn't move for 3 years and now we drive to a rented apartment in Portugal.

Ray.

#16 ·
We visit Portugal every Dec-Jan until March as it is cheap as chips.
Armacao de Pera not the best campsite but it has what you need. There are two sites there Canelas and Prai, Prai is our choice. AdP is a nice town with a lovely block paved promenade with shops, cafes and bars offering Tourist Meals at around 10 Euro for three courses and some include a bottle of wine.

January can be quite wet but the rest of the time it is glorious.
We sail to Santander or Bilbao then saunter down through Spain and Portugal using aires that only cost a total of 3 Euro over 6 days.

Dave

Reactions: raynipper
#8 ·
Yes David, I had plenty of offers immediately but the guy who did put down €1000 deposit took 7 months to complete as he couldn't sell his old one as it was too expensive.
We found after 20 years in large American RVs, the 750 was still too cramped.

We like Portugal because we can drive there for the winter. It's not hot but very comfortable Dec. to March at 16c to 20c and most Portuguese can speak English.
Long term rentals are quite cheap by the month. Varying from €500 to €800 a month depending on view of the sea. The Algarve is quite small and we being in the centre at Armacao de Pera can drive to either end in about an hour and a half.

Campgrounds can vary from €4 to €48 a night depending on facilities.

Ray.

#11 ·
Do you still have the MH David? I just back (well, not quite) from a 3 month trip that took me to Dubrovnik. Wonderful trip.

Sounds like you might have been acquiring responsibilities rather than shedding them! (tho I haven't seen your other thread).

Welcome back!
Do I still have it??

The poor old girl was just getting used to winding down with me and Karen having gentle weekends away. Now she's got two little people poking her window blinds, prodding the SatNav, running around inside her, shoving LOL dolls in her heat vents (we still haven't found one!) running the taps while they brush their teeth, poking the big Heki vent because it makes a funny 'clunk' noise, messing with the zig board 'because it looks like a Christmas tree'........the old girl is taking everything in her stride :)

I think Cheryl loves these kids more than we do! She has behaved perfectly.

Just got back from a wonderful weekend at Manor Farm (Chester) the kid's loved it. We loved it.

It's difficult to post pictures or videos due to data protection issues but we're going to find a way. there's another video coming tomorrow talking about this - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgdrn_TBhrYPUoAT30Rh-1A?view_as=subscriber

Yeah, we're keeping her. she'll adapt and so will we. The kids love it.

#13 ·
I'm literally running around after them with screwdrivers, pliers, drills, gaffer tapes, jubilee clips....they destroy, I mend it.

Karen say's they're making me younger. I think they're trying to drive me to an early grave :)

I've not had so much fun in a long time! And the 'van is getting used for what it was always meant to be.

#14 ·
Sadly David I don't have your patience. I get mad when people cause me more work through ignorance or lack of consideration. We used to have 12 flats/apartments in UK and I was always having to fix, repair, unbung, paint, replace and clean up tenant's blunders and heavy handed actions. I couldn't wait to sell.

Now it's the damn garden as no sooner it's manicured to perfection the bloody stuff starts to take back and grow. More work and I'm getting tired.

Ray.

Reactions: patp
#17 ·
Sadly David I don't have your patience. I get mad when people cause me more work through ignorance or lack of consideration. We used to have 12 flats/apartments in UK and I was always having to fix, repair, unbung, paint, replace and clean up tenant's blunders and heavy handed actions. I couldn't wait to sell.

Now it's the damn garden as no sooner it's manicured to perfection the bloody stuff starts to take back and grow. More work and I'm getting tired.

Ray.
Ray

You forgot

'.....and grumpy'

Don't think we have not noticed:wink2:.

Geoff

#21 ·
Yep David, it does get you like that but many will tell you I have been grumpy well before selling the motorhome. I just watch others with vans now and hear their trials and tribulations and 'smile'. If I can't have a 12m. RV, I don't think I will bother.

Ray.

#24 ·
The thought of a transit van to go touring is far worse now than a nice car and B&B and often about the same price.
Fivers are OK as statics in Europe David but imho hopeless for touring.
I have read all the Grumpy ole Men books Jan and agree with most of the grumps.

Ray.

Reactions: JanHank
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.