Motorhome Facts Forum banner

French toll tags

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  TeamRienza 
#1 ·
Evening all , which / what toll tags gadgets are most people using , we have 2003 fiat Ducato with over cab bed , just wondered about hight restrictions and what toll payment device's were cheapest / best ....

#2 ·
Dunno if there is any difference in the costs but our Bip-N-Go only charges for the months used. I did use it strapped to the back of the sun visor for a while and it was picked up at every toll. I would guess if not detected at the top of the screen due to the 'luton' then place it at the bottom of the screen.

Ray.

#3 ·
We use an ATMB tag and we are under 3 metres high.
If your basic vehicle is higher than 3 metres you will not be allowed a Tag.
Additional items on the roof are taken into consideration if you are 3 metres high but they take it above the 3 metres limit.
But check this information on the Company's website

:nerd:

#4 ·
Another happy customer with ATMB. A maximum of 2 months maintainence charge of about €1.50 plus whatever the toll charges are. I have mine linked to my Starling Bank current account which means no commission charges and a pure MasterCard exchange rate. The only minor ‘nuisance’ is the website is only in French.

I was looking at the Emovis website, they seem to offer 2 different tags covering France, (liber t) and for Spain and Portugal (via t). They appear to be more expensive in the exchange rate (mid market!), maintainence charges of €5 each month it is used on top of an annual charge of €6 and an application fee of €10. Plus of course the tolls. These and ATMB require a refundable payment of about €20 for the tag.

In Spain we just take the ticket and pay. Never seem to be queues. In Portugal we enter by one of the 4 recommended routes and register our card and number plate for 30 days. You can buy preloaded vouchers at post offices which I suspect is cheaper than the tag, but the difficulty is knowing how much you need. The overhead cameras certainly seem numerous, and around Porto you still have to pay cash.

Hope this gives food for thought.

Davy

#6 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Never bothered with a Tag myself. The longest I have ever had to wait at a Peage booth has been about 4 or 5 vehicles worth so, to my mind, a Tag isn't worth the (small) additional cost. I'm never in that much of a hurry anyway.

Just as easy to insert a bank card to pay, no monthly charge, no battery to worry about etc. If I was travelling solo then I wouldn't hesitate to get one, but Mrs P has to have something to do during our (infrequent) forays onto the French toll roads.

Plus of course sometimes I am towing and sometimes not so the charges would be different and I don't think There is a way of differentiating??

Andy

#12 ·
This is our experiences of using a Motorway Toll Tag in France.

A typical approach WITHOUT a Tag to the Toll booths ------

Search for purse or scrabble around in front of MH for some coins and check how much you've got.
Not enough !
So where's the Credit Card we used to buy food at the Supermarche an hour ago?
Search for Card.
"You put it where ?"
Passenger disappears into depths of MH and returns eventually with Card in hand
Slow down and winds window down to pull in wing mirror to allow close access to machine.
Not too early in case you want to change lane because the car in front has suddenly put on their hazards - they can't find their credit card and you've got to move over - or wait an age.
"By heck, there's a biting cross wind and rain coming through the open window."
Stop directly, and I mean directly, at the side of the machine.
Passenger leans out of window.
Suddenly remember to release seat belt because they can't reach the machine.
Passenger puts credit card in machine.
Wait a few seconds and barrier rises.
Remember to take credit card - or you're in deep mire.
Set off and wind window up.
Wind window down again as Driver reminds Passenger to push wing mirror back out.
Window up again.
Loud buzzing sound.
Passenger remembers to fasten seat belt to stop buzzer.
Puts Credit Card in safe place.
There, that wasn't too bad was it?

A typical approach WITH a Tag to the Toll booths ------

Slow down a bit.
Barrier rises
Speed up again.

Stress?
What stress?
Yes, you are on holiday.

:nerd:

#13 ·
Perhaps another benefit is that, and I may be wrong in this, each transaction by credit card is subject to varying commission and exchange rates plus assorted charges.

With my ATMB I get one monthly statement and payment is extracted from my Starling current account which has no commissions or charges and is at the mastercard rate which is as near perfect as you can get.

Davy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.