Awning to fit Motorhome - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By jiwawa
  • 1 Post By GMJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 16:30 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Personal Aire
Awning to fit Motorhome

Hi
I was wondering if i can get an awning to fit a motorhome.There is a rail below the fixed roll out awning as seen below on photo.I have been searching awning sites but don't seem to see any ,only Drive away awnings for motorhomes.Be grateful for your help
Regards Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ul-5cb62f3306bd4.jpg (139.0 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 17:10

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
Surely what you need is a safari room to fit your wind out awning?

Or am I misunderstanding?

I'm daft and proud of it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 17:51 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I didn't know that there was any such things out there.Maybe handier for me to fit and get.I still don't know what the awning rail below the wind out awning is for.I don't see them on many motorhomes.Still thanks for the tip
Martin

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 20:15

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
Can you show us a close-up of the rail below the main awning so we can see how something might be attached to it?

If it is just a slot, you will already have one of those on the main front rail of the wind-out awning, so I don't know why someone would fit an additional rail. I've certainly never seen such an arrangement.

All I can think of atm is that someone came into possession of an awning and fitted the rail so that they could use it, rather than getting a safari room to fit the wind-out.

Sorry to not be more helpful.

I'm daft and proud of it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 21:54

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Pollensa
I think that it depends on what type of wind out awning you have. Fiamma do a safari room (privacy room) for their Fiamma Zip awnings.

https://www.fiammastore.com/Motorhom...caravan-Awning

When I bought my motorhome (53 model) in 2005, it had a Fiamma Zip awning included. The awning had never been used and is still 'new'. I have never used it as if I wanted to move my motorhome, for whatever reason, I would have to spend time taking the safari room sides and front out (by unzipping them) and packing them away. Personally, if I was to buy an awning for a motorhome, I would buy a 'drive away' awning.

Last edited by iansmithofotley; 31-05-2019 at 21:57.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:24
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Most (all?) wind out canopies have a channel in them so you can attach either a 'drive away' awning or a 'fixed' awning.

If you wind out the canopy attached to your MH you can also get a Safari Room which, in effect, fill in the sides to create a room.

By the looks in your photo you may have an extra channel fitted just below the wind out canopy? If so you should be able to attach an awning to that. Most MH's do not have this extra rail probably hence the confusion...

If you are planning on getting a fixed awning to attach to either the wind out canopy or the fixed rail you appear to have, then you will need to check:-

1) The height from the ground to either the channel or fixed rail. MH awning manufacturers tend to do different sizes based on this so make sure to check.

2) That you also have clearance when the habitation door is open so that it doesn't hit the roof (or any poles) of the awning. By their nature awnings slope away from the MH fixing point. Again, the manufacturer can/should advise the minimum required.

In terms of Safari Rooms, the manufacturer of your wind out canopy will make one (Fiamma or Thule generally) or you may be able to get an 'after market' one...but double check it fits your make/model of wind out canopy. We had one and found it very heavy and bulky to carry around...and also a pain to dry at home when wet.

In terms of non drive away awnings there are quite a few to choose from. We have just bought a Kampa Motor Rally Air 260 XXL for our new MH. It is regarded as a 'porch awning' I believe only being 2.6m wide. This still weighs 20kg but does pack down to one bag. We haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on how good it is. There are other makes and ones with metal or fibre glass poles out there...you will need to do your research.

We had a Kampa drive away awning but I sold it as we seldom used it. For us it was too long to fit most pitches and its layout didn't suit us. It was also very 'flappy' in wind!

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

The Following User Says Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
horsieman16 (01-06-2019)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 15:06 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thank you for taking the time to get back to me.Each and every one is really helpful to me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 20:45

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Martin, I can't remember if you've only just bought your MH or if you're an old hand.

If the former, I wouldn't rush to buy any kind of awning till you see how you go. It will depend on your style of MHing.

For most folk the wind out awning suffices. As Graham says, some folk do buy but seldom use, whether it's because it's too awkward to put up/down, too heavy to carry....

If you tend to stay on site for a long time at a go then I'd think it might be worth it. If you move on every day or couple of days I'd think I wouldn't be bothered!
raynipper likes this.

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
horsieman16 (01-06-2019)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:10
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Martin, I can't remember if you've only just bought your MH or if you're an old hand.

If the former, I wouldn't rush to buy any kind of awning till you see how you go. It will depend on your style of MHing.

For most folk the wind out awning suffices. As Graham says, some folk do buy but seldom use, whether it's because it's too awkward to put up/down, too heavy to carry....

If you tend to stay on site for a long time at a go then I'd think it might be worth it. If you move on every day or couple of days I'd think I wouldn't be bothered!

This is good advice

If in doubt speak to folks when you are on sites about their experiences. Most will gladly help you out (but beware than some may not want to admit they have made an error in their purchase )

For us...

- We started out with a full safari room which came with the first MH we bought. We used it twice before selling it. It was big, cumbersome and heavy. It took a load of storage space in our first MH. It did do the job well in creating a usable space for chairs, table, shoes, we things etc.

- We then bought a drive away awning. We also used this twice! It was quite noisy in the wind (which I partially solved by modifying it with velcro and suction dent pullers) however the length of its protrusion away from the MH was too great...something like 3-4 metres from memory, which meant it couldn't be used on many sites. Also we didn't get one with a forward facing window so it only had light coming in on two sides , which meant we felt a little enclosed in it. It was a Kampa Air model (Midi Pod Tall from memory) so easy to put up; smaller to stow; but still around 20kg.

- We have now bought the one I mentioned in my first post. We did this as we now think we can get good use out of it when we especially when we travel abroad. We never move the MH when we are in situ. The model we have is a 2.60 wide one which protrudes only 2.5m from the MH side. It has 3 sides which can be removed/rolled up, to allow light and air through on warm days. It will fit a table and chairs plus some extra gubbins nicely. We saw them (or similar) used extensively in Spain when we were there on this trip. Still weighs around 20kg though.

Both our first two variants suffered badly with condensation which I believe is an occupational hazard with them. For our new model I have bought a set of roof liners which purport to deal with this problem...we shall see!

Graham
GraemeC likes this.

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

Last edited by GMJ; 02-06-2019 at 09:24.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
horsieman16 (10-06-2019)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-06-2019, 07:44

We also use a Kampa Rally awning that slides into the slot on the roll out awning. Ours is the older model that has poles and really needs two people and a stepladder to erect. The reason that someone has fitted a rail under the OPs awning is that it enables the awning to fit closer to the side of the van than when using the roll out awning slot thus getting a better 'seal'at the sides.

The problem we find is that because we have a small van (hence the need for the awning) the packed size and weight (20kg) is a nuisance when we are travelling. The bag has to go near the front to alleviate weight over the rear axle and so it gets in the way. Although we have enjoyed using the awning and it has withstood ferocious weather conditions we are on the lookout for something more lightweight.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page