• 2 Post By kabundi
  • 1 Post By peribro
  • 1 Post By Pudsey_Bear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-04-2019, 20:57 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Fiat Ducato , swift lifestyle 4 birth
Maximum wieght

Evening all
We have a 2003 fiat Ducati lifestyle MH .tried looking at the plates stating our maximum payload ...( Our kit )
The plates show maximum axle wieghts front 1750 kg and rear 1900kg and the gross weight of 3400kg....this is on the swift plate . Along side that is the fiat plate .the above figures but one extra line stating 5000kg but the rivet holding the plate on has rusted and hides the description of the above figures ...any ideas what I can carry .
We are away this weekend and want to take 3 mountain bikes , 3 good size recliner chairs and the drive away awning ...along with food a little water and the normal camper stuff ...2 adults 1 dog and 14 year old youth that lives with us ...am I over loading on the figures ..how does everyone tell ....
Waybridge empty ? Then fill it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-04-2019, 21:27

My Motorhome: Frankia Platin I8400QD
The four weights are likely to be ( in order):
1.Front axle max weight
2.Rear axle max weight
3.Max gross vehicle weight
4.Max gross train weight

Weight best ascertained at a weigh bridge - the manufacturers are pretty unreliable when it comes to declaring the actual weight of vehicles they build. Either weigh it empty (each axle in turn and the total if possible), then repeat the exercise when fully loaded. Or weigh it empty and then weigh EVERYTHING that you put in to it as you pack.

Regards,
John

If only I could think of an original, witty signature . . . this is where it would be . . .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-04-2019, 21:28

My Motorhome: Rapido 7065FF
The axle figures are the maximum for each individual axle to allow some flexibility in where you place the loads. This is why they add to greater than 3400kg. However the maximum weight that the MH can be with everything onboard is 3400kg.

The 5000kg figure is probably the train weight including a trailer.

Without knowing the ‘empty’ weight there is no way you can calculate how much ‘load’ you can add.

In an ideal world you need to weigh the van ‘empty’ but noting what is actually onboard in terms of people, gas, water, fuel etc. This will then tell you how much you can add to reach 3400kg. You need to weigh each axle separately

Another solution is to weigh the van (each axle separately) as it stands again noting what is actually onboard. This will tell you how much you are above or below the 3400kg. Note that adding things like bicycles on the rear rack add more to the rear axle load than the actual weight of the bicycles due to the overhang from the rear axle to the bicycle rack.

You may be able to upgrade the load capacity above 3400kg, sometimes this is simply a paper exercise.
Ozzyjohn and raynipper like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-04-2019, 22:52

My weigh 😉 , sorry my way, may not be to everyone’s delight is to load up, full of fuel, full of water, clothes, provisions, wife, dog, cat whatever. Exactly as if it’s about to go away on holiday.

Then take it into the local weighbridge and see exactly what it stands at.

Then either determine what to leave out, who stays at home, or relax in that each axle is loaded below the max.

Or panic. I’ve just weighed mine again half full of fuel, no water, none of the above as described, and it came in at 3460 with a gvw of 3500. Oops! There’s a good 250kg to add to that

So I’ve just had it replated from 3500 to 4100. Jobs a good un!

MHO.

www.motorhomeowners.org

WWW . MOTORHOMEOWNERS .ORG

http://www.motorhomeowners.org/

Never yet met a Yank I couldn't take an immediate dislike to, and the way this forum is going I’ll add those a bit northwards too.

Burstner Nexxo T660
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-04-2019, 01:11

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
It probably doesn't matter to you unless you are considering towing but the maximum gross train weight on the Fiat plate of 5000kg is subject to any restriction that the body converter may have imposed. For example you might assume that you could load the motorhome up to its max of 3400kg and therefore tow something that weighs 1600kg. However if the converter modified the vehicle (usually a chassis extension) then the max towing limit may well be less than the difference between the GVW and max train weight.
Ozzyjohn likes this.

Peter
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-04-2019, 18:25

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
It is the Swift plate (as the second stage manufacturer) that takes precedent over the original Fiat one, and it’s likely to show different weights. There should be four weights. The highest is the maximum train weight (fully loaded caravan plus the weight of any trailer plus load. The next highest is the max weight of the MH on its own. The other two are max axle weights. No.1 is front axle and No.2 is rear axle.

Your best bet is to find a local weighbridge and take your MH along when it’s fully loaded up and ready to go away. Don’t forget to include all of the passengers. Its entirely possible you will get a bit of a fright because motorhomes (along with caravans) are notorious for having minimal payloads. In fact many are, in my view, not fit for purpose due to the lack of decent payload.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-04-2019, 19:47 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Fiat Ducato , swift lifestyle 4 birth
Thanks for all the replies , I'm getting it weighed tomorrow,
Set of scales out tonight...
3 mountain bikes .
3 chairs
Drive away awning .
3 people.
Some gear for the camper, small outside table , folding washing line, cadac ...368 kgs 😮🤔 .
I do hope I'm well under as I really don't know what to loose if I'm over, this is no food , no water added..
It has gasit bottles , both full, solar panels on the roof. 4 tyres full of air..... Maybe I could let them down a little lol ..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-04-2019, 20:05

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
It probably doesn't matter to you unless you are considering towing but the maximum gross train weight on the Fiat plate of 5000kg is subject to any restriction that the body converter may have imposed. For example you might assume that you could load the motorhome up to its max of 3400kg and therefore tow something that weighs 1600kg. However if the converter modified the vehicle (usually a chassis extension) then the max towing limit may well be less than the difference between the GVW and max train weight.

You also need to include the nose weight of the trailer, which is normally 100kg.
peribro likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page