1996 Ford Autosleeper Legend GL Water Damage Help - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 13-04-2019, 12:27 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Ford Auto-Sleeper Legend GL
Send a message via MSN to Lone-Renegade
Angry 1996 Ford Autosleeper Legend GL Water Damage Help

Admin/mod please move if not suitable for this section of the forum, I could not find anywhere I thought it would best fit, thanks.

Ford AutoSleeper Legend GL 1996 2.5 Diesel

The above vehicle sustained damage to rear window and rooflight above kitchen, sometime over the winter of 2017/2018 due to some lowlife trying to break into the vehicle, as I had not used the vehicle very often, it went unnoticed for quite a period of time, when I did I bought replacement rooflights for both the kitchen area and bathroom, as that one was showing signs of degradation around the seal, when replaced at Caravan Solutions in Romsey, they found some water damage to the wood surround around the bathroom rooflight and replaced the wood as well as fitting both new rooflights.

Myself and a friend removed the rear window and resealed it, and as of then there was no more leakage, but I was not to know how long it had been leaking, as I'd only ever seen small pools of water on the kitchen worktop and in the metal recess under the rear window, so did not think anymore damage had been done, until my last MOT, when the inspector told me the floor was rotting away along the back underneath, and I started the feel the floor getting spongy at bottom of the kitchen unit and under the shower tray, which I had not used in quite a few years.

Caravan Solutions told me it was not a job they could do, and gave me address of another company, Spitfire Garage in Woolston, So'ton, Joseph took a look underneath and said they also could not undertake the repairs and gave me the number of another person who came and had a look, he also said that it was basically uneconomical to repair based on the age of the vehicle, and the insurance assessor reported that it looked like it had been this way for much longer, so insurance would not cover it.

The vehicle is my "getaway from home" during the summer months, I am disabled, I have owned the vehicle for 19 years, it's always served me well, and I am going to be housebound without it, so I am looking for help from anyone who could possibly fix it for me, I will be disabling the gas, and having the rear unit removed, along with the bathroom toilet and shower tray to get a better view of the extent of the damage, but I need help to get the floor replaced across the back of the vehicle, so if anyone has any advice, or know of anyone that could do this, please reply and let me know.

Thanks in advance

Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 13-04-2019, 12:49

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Anything is possible but it may not be viable. How much money do you want to put into a 23 year old vehicle? Best have a think about it when the units etc are out and the amount of work can be determined? You could of course leave it alone and get a few more years out of it assuming you have stopped any further water ingress.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 13-04-2019, 21:24

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I think Ray's words are wise ones. Sorry I can't offer a solution. It's a rotten situation to be in.

Jean

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 14-04-2019, 14:41

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I feel for you Paul, but I think that unless you know a friendly joiner you are either going to be stuck or use it as is.

How disabled are you? there are videos on Youtube, one from a MHF member David David on injecting some stuff into the floor to make it solid again, I had to have this done on my last van as small area had delaminated, but I suspect that if this were an option one of the companies who has seen it would have suggested it already.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 14-04-2019, 17:52

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Paul not a job for the faint hearted. However if you have removed the rear units & bathroom then what you have left is the floor. This is no small job however if you can find a half decent chippie then replacing the marine ply should not be a problem. The major work is in the removal & replacement of all the interior fittings. When motorhomes are built the floor is usually the first thing installed followed by the walls roof & internal fittings so to reverse engineer this is a pit of a problem. However it can be done, just depends on whether you are up for a pretty big task. I had a floor replaced some years ago by Chelston Motorhomes, the bill was eye watering but if you are attached to the van then it just may be worth the spend. It will all depend on how much you can do yourself & how much you will need to pay someone else. If you do decide to start then do take plenty of pictures during the strip down as when the van is empty trying to remember where everything went will be a nightmare. Good luck whatever you decide.

Dave.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 14-04-2019, 23:22

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
You may get away with just using wood hardener. Take a look at YouTube for some helpful videos.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page