Underbody Coatings?? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 13:19 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Smile Underbody Coatings??

Hi all, what do people recommend as the best underbody coating, old engine oil, expensive Hammerite or something better?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 20:53

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
For metal or wood?

Dave.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 21:03

My Motorhome: Flogged it.
I was told by a few people that spray grease is better than waxoil etc, so I bought 12 tins of it at 3 quid a tin and used it on our van underneath.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-03-2019, 08:54

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
The problem with lubrication based coverings (oil, grease) is, that whilst they may be partly effective whilst they are in place they will wash off, in the days of spraying old engine oil etc. it was accepted that it needed doing at least annually.

Paint based ideas are better but the surface to be coated needs to be clean and dry and ensuring full coverage is difficult.

A better bet would be one of the purpose made products, be they wax based or bitumen

Depends on which part of the underbody you're trying to protect, is it the vehicle base chassis components, or the converters parts, floor panels etc.
Most recent van base manufacturers have the chassis parts protected well and if the van is old enough for that to not be the case then it's probably too late to worry about protection.

That leaves the floor and exposed lower parts or the conversion, just make sure whatever you choose to use the areas to be covered are thoroughly dry and clean.

John
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-03-2019, 19:00

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
As a bit of useful(?) info I have just taken delivery of a new caravan and I queried with the manufacturer (Bailey, who,also make Motorhomes of course) what exactly the underside of the plywood floor was treated with. Their reply did rather concern me, see below.......

I have checked with Bailey customer services on this as we do not sell panel treatment.
Bailey customer services have advised that “we only paint them with a black emulsion”
Apologies however, this is not something that we supply.

Kind Regards,

Becky Tidd
Customer Service Advisor

WTF? Twenty GRANDS worth of caravan and the underneath is just painted with emulsion?? Un-bloody-believable

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-03-2019, 19:30

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
As a bit of useful(?) info I have just taken delivery of a new caravan and I queried with the manufacturer (Bailey, who,also make Motorhomes of course) what exactly the underside of the plywood floor was treated with. Their reply did rather concern me, see below.......

I have checked with Bailey customer services on this as we do not sell panel treatment.
Bailey customer services have advised that “we only paint them with a black emulsion”
Apologies however, this is not something that we supply.

Kind Regards,

Becky Tidd
Customer Service Advisor

WTF? Twenty GRANDS worth of caravan and the underneath is just painted with emulsion?? Un-bloody-believable

Andy
I had similar conversations with various dealers/repairers when I had a floor repair some years ago. Nobody was prepared to recommend a product for the wooden floors. The problem is that the wood needs to breath to allow any damp to dry out so sealing will make the problem worse & result in rot. The floor is made from marine ply mostly so should dry out. But to be honest you are correct Andy 20 grand & you get a shed floor.

Dave.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-03-2019, 14:38 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
OK thanks for all your thoughts on this, in my case I have a old 04 plate and was thinking of maybe sealing the underside (metal & wood). I used to do this with an old car but the comment about letting wood breath makes perfect sense, I guess Cuprinol wouldn't hurt for the wood areas??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page