• 1 Post By Mrplodd
  • 1 Post By barryd
  • 1 Post By myshell
  • 3 Post By rael

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 14:20 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048 A class
BT Openreach Scam Call

This may have been reported but I thought I might give a heads up anyway.

Had a call on my landline, chap with an indian accent said he was from BT Openreach and that they had identified a possible fault on my broadband. He asked what my download speed was and when I told him it was 56.2 and 6.9 upload he said it should be much faster and he would put me through to the technical advisor. This second chap said he said he could fix the issue and asked me to download a piece of software called "Teamviewer". This is genuine software but I know it is used so that others can take control of your computer so I told him I didn't think he was from BT as which he became insistent that he was genuine. I asked for a number I could call him back on and the line went dead.

The number they had called from was 01236348114 and when called a recorded message says 'No service is currently running on this number, you have not been charged forth call."

I did a quick internet search which confirms others have had similar calls and this is a scam so would advise extreme caution.
raynipper likes this.

Whatever your thinking of doing. Do it now!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iandsm For This Useful Post:
HermanHymer (04-04-2019), nicholsong (11-03-2019), Ozzyjohn (11-03-2019), Pudsey_Bear (13-03-2019), tugboat (11-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 01:33

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
I have been getting 2 calls a day for a while from this new scam. Makes me laugh really as I worked for BT for many years & knowing the internal workings of the company it is easy to prove to the caller that they are not BT. The calls I get are from a different number each time so barring the number does not stop the calls. Have discussed with BT fraudulent calls department who are well aware of this scam but are somewhat powerless to stop at the moment as the calls seem to be piggybacked on to genuine numbers. There is a BT scam calls reporting page here: https://www.bt.com/help/home/scams/?...id=BTScamCalls

Dave.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:26

My brother in Minnesota got caught with this scam. n
Not from bt of course. They seem very plausible.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-03-2019, 23:46

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
That chap keeps ringing me between 08:15 and 08:30. !!!

The call lasts about 12 seconds, just long enough for him to say (in an Indian accent)

“Hello this is BT Openreach, there is a security issue wi.......”

At which point he is advised, in no uncertain terms of EXACTLY where I wish him to insert his telephone handset, and hang up!

Andy
raynipper likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 17-03-2019, 16:30

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
I have a dozy friend / client who has fallen for this not once but twice. On both occasions I've had to take his laptop away to clean and make sure they didn't leave anything behind.

Another guy who I do have some sympathy for as he really doesn't have a clue was scammed out of over four hundred quid the same way the other week. I got it back for him though.
HurricaneSmith likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
HurricaneSmith (17-03-2019)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 17-03-2019, 16:59

My brother is by no means dozy. He is a retired teacher who grew up around East London and taught in Salford before it was trendy.
A friend in our village nearly got caught by a different scam where they ask you to withdraw cash so that they can check it for counterfeit etc. He was a senior officer in the Highways department. This gang move around the country. It sounds absolutely ridiculous that someone could fall for it but they are obviously very very plausible.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 17-03-2019, 19:32

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
I get these calls pertaining to BT, I just hang up as they have called me on a Virginmedia line.

Barry
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 21:58

I have had several of these scam phone calls supposedly from BT (Bombay Telecom) what I do is act dumb and keep asking them questions in order to keep them on the phone. they are paying the phone bill not me, my current record is 23 mins but if I get fed up listening to them I give them a very loud wolf whistle down the phone, they then hang up PDQ.
Devonboy likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 22:27

My Motorhome: Challenger Vany 417
I've found the best way is to keep them on the phone as long as possible. I get them to explain what I need to do, but don't do it. I usually put them on speaker phone so I can still do what I need to whilst talking to them. My record is about 10 minutes. My theory is that if they waste time with me then its time they are not spending conning another person.
chasper, raynipper and Devonboy like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page