Help - buy Pilote Pacific 690 or not? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By pagey
  • 1 Post By eurajohn
  • 1 Post By wfdTamar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 23-02-2019, 13:53 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Help - buy Pilote Pacific 690 or not?

Hi all.

Spent a great morning walking around some mind blowing (and out of price range) motorhomes, and to be honest we were really interested in a 2001 Pilote Pacific 690, it wasn't the one I went to see, nor was it as young as ones I went to see.

It has the Peugeot 2.8 engine with 50k miles, looks in good overall nick to be fair with a few niggles, but nothing too major.

So I would really appreciate any help or guidance you could give on these, as I really don't know anything about the Pilote range.

Would you not touch one with the wiffy end of a messy stick?

Thaks in advance folks.

Adam & Nicky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 23-02-2019, 16:37

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Sorry can't help with the van but the 2.8L of circa 2000 is a solid engine and pre electrophonic so simpler but not great HP.
Oh and welcome.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 23-02-2019, 17:06

if you like it and it suits you consider it as said above its probably the 2.8 idtd engine which is a great engine with minimal electrics but that model had a weak gearbox and the parts are getting hard to find for the box ..if its a 2.8 jtd i had one for years and loved it only got rid because of the emissions
raynipper likes this.

pagey

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 23-02-2019, 17:29

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
If it is 2001 then it probably is a JTD. they actually stopped the non JTD in 1999 / 2000
The 690 is a very nice low profile, excellent build quality and nicely laid out, if it seems to be in good condition I'd say think seriously about buying it.

If possible have a look at the V5 and get at least the VIN No. from that we can tell what build specification was.

If non JTD the power output is noticeably less but not desperately so, most noticeable when pulling away and low down torque.

raynipper likes this.

John
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 24-02-2019, 20:48 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thankyou for your advice and assistance 👍.

I found a magazine report done for MMM live in 2001 for a very similar spec pacific and I've got to be honest the write up was really good.

I will keep u posted 😁
The Following User Says Thank You to bigvtwin For This Useful Post:
raynipper (24-02-2019)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 24-02-2019, 22:21

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
2 things you should insist on - a damp inspection and a weighbridge certificate to see if there's enough payload to enjoy it.

Jean
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-02-2019, 16:46

.... and when the last timing belt etc change was done. Not a big deal but put some £'s aside for it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-02-2019, 23:31

My Motorhome: Hymer Classic B584
I've just bought a similar vintage Hymer with the 2.8 jtd. Not actually seen it yet. One thing I really didn't consider was the emissions level. Although it's unlikely I'd want to drive it into a city it would be banned from (or charged heaps), it could be to get from Point A to Point C the most sensible route may be via Point B, which may be an emissions zone.

Sat Nav's don't seem to have this information in them yet like they do vehicle measurements or toll roads, so this will require a manual route change. (I've just sent an enquiry to TomTom asking about it).
raynipper likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:32

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
My Pilote Reference 2013 Ducato based has had very few problems on the habitation side.

It is waterproof, nothing has gone wrong with electrics or gas appliances, it certainly doesn't seem worn on the fabrics and seating, a few rattles sorted out in it's early days and no obvious underside corrosion.

Unfortunately it's not getting as much use as I'd wish at the moment but that may be remedied in a few months time - the Pilote seems set to go whenever we are ready to take it out.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page