Roll on Summer - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-02-2019, 11:41 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Roll on Summer

I had a cataract operation six weeks ago and I'm having another one the week after next.

I haven't been able to drive, because of my eyesight, since the first operation and now there's going to be about another two months before I can get a pair of glasses that allow me to see a number plate at 25 yards and not be an illegal driver.

The Motorhome is stuck on the drive, pining away to itself, and probably half the parts are rusting together or being attacked by moisture or lack of use and this is the first time its stood for any length of time without having a trip out.

Luckily we gave it a good run to Ypres for a week over New Year or it wouldn't have been out since November.

The batteries are okay, the icy weather doesn't seem (touch wood) to have affected the taps, the newly installed water pump seems okay and I've moved the vehicle to stop the tyres getting a flat spot but is there anything else I should check to look for problems ?

Do any of you leave your Motorhome unused for months on end or do you, at least, give it the occasional run ?

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-02-2019, 12:36

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Hopefully you will be OK by the end of May Keith when there will be brand new, soft green leaves on the trees. Your not worried about a bit of heat so June is a good time. It's not nice being tied to the house though, why doesn't Mrs Kieth drive the MH?
Not being an expert at these thing's I'd say you've done right as far as the van is concerned. Lucky it's on your drive so's you can keep an eye on it like we do ours. All the best for eye number 2.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.

Last edited by JanHank; 17-02-2019 at 12:38.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-02-2019, 13:23

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Last couple of winters or so we have not used ours. Its been parked on the drive since October and its SORNED. We used to go away for Christmas and New Year but not bothered for a while and Winter touring doesnt really appeal much anymore to me. Doesnt seem to do it any harm. Im sure there are many motorhomes parked outside motorhome dealers for months on end over Winter. Its a vehicle, not a pet dog. Mind you I often find the odd hose will bust or something wont work after long layups but usually nothing major.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-02-2019, 13:37

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Keith

Sorry about the eye problems but at least these days the operations seem to be very successful.

I can understand your frustration about not being able to use the MH - and take dashcams of feckwit drivers on way to Mansfield Have not seen you post any recently.

As for the MH sitting on the drive, I would not worry too much. For the last 8 winters our MH has sat in our yard in Poland for most of the winter. It is on EHU and I do drain it down. We do not use any heat and nothing seems to get damp, but our N&B Arto is well insulated and even bedding is left inside with no problems.

Your comments about pump and taps indicate you have not drained down, but now by mid-Feb it may not be necessary. As to rust, you are on the drier side of England and I cannot imagine rust is much different whether it is parked or driving on salt-treated roads, maybe better.

One thought is to chock the wheels and release the handbrake. I do run the engine sometimes to ensure lubrication.

We have not driven it for months and recently snow on the steepish driveway has prevented it - unless I took a fast run up it, but then would not see the Mother and child on the pavement obscured by the hedge - no thanks.

Generally I think the MH will be fine.

Has the first Op restored sight to normal? Good luck with the second Op.

Geoff
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-02-2019, 13:53

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I basically didn't use our van for three or four years before deciding to sell it. Didn't even put a new MOT on.
But as it was plugged into electric all the time I used to give it a 20km. run maybe every two to three months to excercise the brakes, tyres and oil seals.

My cataracts were done a week apart and I was able to drive the next day Keith. Plus now only need glass's for reading text.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Last edited by raynipper; 17-02-2019 at 14:32.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-02-2019, 14:05 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Thanks for the responses.

Mrs D does drive the Motorhome but only on Motorways (M25, M1 and M20 are her favourites) or fast roads and isn't too good at judging distances in close quarters or manoeuvring in tight places - so prefers not to drive it on 'normal' roads.

The first op was okay but I still need glasses for that eye and can't have a new lens until next week - my glasses look like Jack Duckworth's with one lens missing - and the Tele is a bit blurred.

There are some new videos but not any new places 'cos I haven't been anywhere recently.

May (the month) should be a starting point to aim for and, hopefully, we can still get to France with the dog and back again without too much agro by then.

As for the Motorhome - it needs a good clean (is Bob-a-Job week still with us?) and a few windows opening to let in the fresh air but otherwise seems ready for the off.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-02-2019, 15:14

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Keith

Your Bob-a-Job reference took me back to my Cubs' days when I did that, and one old lady asked me to go into the cellar and sieve 2 Cwt of nutty slack. I did it and what did I get ? exactly one bob.

Geoff
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-02-2019, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Keith

Your Bob-a-Job reference took me back to my Cubs' days when I did that, and one old lady asked me to go into the cellar and sieve 2 Cwt of nutty slack. I did it and what did I get ? exactly one bob.

Geoff
Oh Geoff! But in them days them were the rules
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-02-2019, 15:47

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
My only suggestion is to not use the handbrake but to park it in reverse, this being the lowest gear, obviously not on anything you'd call a slope, this saves you getting a frozen part on the brake discs or drums.
raynipper likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-02-2019, 16:20

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I also used to park the tyres on old bits of carpet. Been told it stops any oils in the rubber leaching out. But whatever thats what we did.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page