Motorhome Facts Forum banner

The Sargent again

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Pudsey_Bear 
#1 ·
It really is a pain in the backside, the amp hours dropped bellow 50% even though the batteries were still 12.7% or something like that, it's been on charge now for 48 hours and has gone up to------ 68% :mad: the batteries both 13.7%. I just do not get it and neither does Hans.
Sargent told me sometime back how to adjust it to 100% when I knew it must be so, but after I do it still gives these stupid reading when we have used the van for just a day. Is there any point in looking at the amp hours if the batteries say full?.

#2 ·
You could have a duff cell perhaps Jan, but I've never seen a amp hours gauge so that's new one on me.

#4 ·
I'd get it to an auto electrician then Gert.

#6 · (Edited)
Jan

Can you post a picture of this gauge as, like others, I have never seen an “Amp Hour” gauge. Is it part of the Sargent unit or is it (as I suspect) and additional gauge?

Do you actually run out of battery power! If not perhaps the gauge itself is defective as 12.7 volts in a lead acid battery is fully charged!!

Andy

#8 ·
So do you actually “run out” of battery power?? If the battery volts are still showing 12.6 I wouldn’t think you have any problem. Try sticking some tape over the Amp hour gauge! What you can’t see you can’t worry about!

Andy

#9 · (Edited)
So do you actually "run out" of battery power?? If the battery volts are still showing 12.6 I wouldn't think you have any problem. Try sticking some tape over the Amp hour gauge! What you can't see you can't worry about!

Andy
I keep telling him that Andy, but he will keep looking each day to see if its increased, no it still says 67% tonight but the battery is full. 13. something %

and no we don't run out of battery power as we are only going out for an occasional day at this time of year.

#11 ·
I called them about this trouble some time back, the instructions were to disconnect mains and solar panel and follow instructions which I have written down, go to menu and select AH, put it onto 100% leave menu and reconnect. I have done this a few times over the time we have had the Navajo and it always goes back to this state.
He did also tell me not to take too much notice of it as long as the batteries were OK :frown2: so why put it in the unit to start with.

#12 ·
Thanks for the video Gertrude, not seen one before, I wonder what trickery they use to get that display, I dare say it is included for those who must have all the information possible, but possibly they have made a rod for their own backs, and that's why they say ignore it.

Volts and amps are all you really need to know, and if everything works as it should you don't even need to know that, although the output of the solar panel can be useful sometimes.

#14 ·
#16 ·
Cheers Jan, no use to me as it's too modern, but I'll pop it into the tech library on MHOwners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.