Blue badge question - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 22:36

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Going back 17 years the criteria was it you can't walk 100 yards without discomfort.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:36

Yes, Jan, when I applied for one for my nearly blind mum I remember that question coming up. I tried to persuade Chris to apply for one when he came out of hospital but he said he had got me to run the hundred yards for him

My mum was a "user" of the system. She could perfectly well walk the hundred yards to wherever she wanted to get to.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:59

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
The issue with a C1 licence is that it authorises you to drive ANY vehicle that doesn’t EXCEED 7500kg gross weight. If it weighs another Kg (3501) then you require a full LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) licence. Therefore the “authorities” want to satisfy themselves that you don’t have any health issue that may affect your driving. Having a “medical incident” whilst at the wheel of a 7499kg vehicle could be pretty serious.

There are many trucks that (like some MH’s) can be downplated to just under 7500 kg. That makes them non LGV’s and enables them to be driven by C1 licence holders. They are easy to spot, they don’t have to have the usual HGV reflective panels on the back. Totally daft ‘cos the only difference could be as little as a couple of Kg gross weight from a “full” LGV.

There WAS talk of the U.K. implementing a “Leisure vehicle only” C1 category, but that got shelved, probably because it wouldn’t benefit enough people/earn politicians enough votes.So we are now in the “catch all” situation. Having said that there’s no difference between a 7499 kg lorry and a 7499 kg MH, if either crashes it’s gonna be dramatic!

Andy
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if it’s in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
Pudsey_Bear (02-09-2018)

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:48

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Yes, Jan, when I applied for one for my nearly blind mum I remember that question coming up. I tried to persuade Chris to apply for one when he came out of hospital but he said he had got me to run the hundred yards for him
My mum was a "user" of the system. She could perfectly well walk the hundred yards to wherever she wanted to get to.
I suggested to my mum we get a 'yellow' badge at the time. What do I want with one of those she said. You always drive me everywhere????

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:49

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
The issue with a C1 licence is that it authorises you to drive ANY vehicle that doesn’t EXCEED 7500kg gross weight. If it weighs another Kg (3501) then you require a full LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) licence. Therefore the “authorities” want to satisfy themselves that you don’t have any health issue that may affect your driving. Having a “medical incident” whilst at the wheel of a 7499kg vehicle could be pretty serious.

There are many trucks that (like some MH’s) can be downplated to just under 7500 kg. That makes them non LGV’s and enables them to be driven by C1 licence holders. They are easy to spot, they don’t have to have the usual HGV reflective panels on the back. Totally daft ‘cos the only difference could be as little as a couple of Kg gross weight from a “full” LGV.

There WAS talk of the U.K. implementing a “Leisure vehicle only” C1 category, but that got shelved, probably because it wouldn’t benefit enough people/earn politicians enough votes.So we are now in the “catch all” situation. Having said that there’s no difference between a 7499 kg lorry and a 7499 kg MH, if either crashes it’s gonna be dramatic!

Andy
Think there´s a mistook Andy ?

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 12:42 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:

Andy
@Mrplodd.
Do you think holding a Blue badge would affect keeping my C1 Andy, (I realise the 3501 above should be 7501) I'm not interested at the moment about getting a blue badge, that should be a different topic, this is about the effect one would have for my C1 if I get one, when I try to keep the C1, although the goal posts may have been moved by then.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 13:15

Kev

The truthful answer is that I have no idea.

HOWEVER the Blue Badge is issued, and administered, by your local council NOT DVLA/SA (or whatever they are called this week) so “they” will be blissfully unaware if you do or do not have a B.B. and I cannot envisage them asking every LA about every licence application holder having a BB can you?

Andy
nicholsong and JanHank like this.

It's who you share the journey with (even if it’s in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 13:45 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Good point Andy, I was also wondering about insurers asking, or our having to mention such things as disabilities affecting certain aspect of the ability to drive.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
Good point Andy, I was also wondering about insurers asking, or our having to mention such things as disabilities affecting certain aspect of the ability to drive.
Can’t say I can recall ever being asked about disabilities etc. Why not go onto a few insurance company websites, go through the process of getting a quote (use fictitious name at an address within a few doors) and see if any such questions come up. Once you have that information just leave the website.

I a, aware that they ask of you have any issues that you have had to notify DVLA about but that’s usually a history of blackouts, very dodgy eyesight, heart conditions etc not a dodgy hip or Three eyeballs!

Andy

post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 14:31 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Can’t say I can recall ever being asked about disabilities etc. Why not go onto a few insurance company websites, go through the process of getting a quote (use fictitious name at an address within a few doors) and see if any such questions come up. Once you have that information just leave the website.

I a, aware that they ask of you have any issues that you have had to notify DVLA about but that’s usually a history of blackouts, very dodgy eyesight, heart conditions etc not a dodgy hip or Three eyeballs!

Andy
Yes it was the last bit I was concerned about less so now, so I'll see what else pops up in the thread regarding things which might scupper the C1.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page