Tale of Woe! My van is no more. - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 31-01-2018, 12:48

So sorry to hear of your troubles.

Would it be feasible to hire a motorhome for your planned trip. Might it be that you could claim the cost of it? Seems such a shame to miss out on a much anticipated holiday.
Penquin and Penquin like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to patp For This Useful Post:
scept1c (31-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 31-01-2018, 13:20 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: AutoTrail Tracker FB
Hi Geoff, many thanks for your detailed and very useful response, I will certainly look to following your advice. Thanks also to Kev, a Loss assessor may be an option if things get difficult.

I spoke to my insurance company earlier and the contact was very sympathetic and helpful. She told me that they have contacted the other insurer and also the government criminal compensation dept in case an arson attack has been proven.

Her latest information is that the police forensics people now think that it may not have been malicious, hopefully this will be their verdict and it should be a relief to all concerned. The insurance companies can then get on with deciding on compensation. We will do everything we reasonably can to ensure we get fair compensation for the motorhome and all our personal belongings.

I have reluctantly sent an email to Anek Superfast to cancel the Italy Greece ferries, my insurance contact thought it might be the end of February before our claim will be settled and we would not have time to find a new van and get prepared before mid March. I spoke to Irish Ferries as I had chosen a Flexibilty option and this will allow to delay our departure indefinitely with the proviso that we will be required to pay the extra for higher rates if necessary.

Another question has come to mind, do we have any right to expect compensation for the personal loss of our holiday?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 31-01-2018, 13:55

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scept1c View Post
Hi Geoff, many thanks for your detailed and very useful response, I will certainly look to following your advice. Thanks also to Kev, a Loss assessor may be an option if things get difficult.

Another question has come to mind, do we have any right to expect compensation for the personal loss of our holiday?
Insureres are obliged to put you in a position you were in before the loss. However they can exclude consequential loss and this might apply to your own policy - check the wording. However, for the moment, your claim is against the company and its Insurers for Third Party loss cover and they are liable for all your losses, thus cancellation fees etc. I think a claim for loss of expected holiday might be more problematical but it is not the sort of thing I dealt with so you would have to ask a Loss Assessor or Solicitor.

One option for geting a new MH is to see whether there is a similar model available on the secondhand market, as Insurers would pay for that as a way of putting you in the position that you were in before. It would also help establish the market price for compensation for yours.

It is good to know that there is ideed an Insurance Company covering Simon. I did not mention the possibility that he was uninsured but it had crossed my mind.

Geoff
Penquin and Penquin like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
scept1c (31-01-2018)

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 31-01-2018, 15:33 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion Pat, I don't think I could afford to pay for all the time we would be away and I doubt if the insurance company would sanction it.
The other half would not be keen if couldn't hire one as good as our own.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 31-01-2018, 18:56

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
What a tragedy all round. I feel for your loss and the anticipated voyage.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
scept1c (01-02-2018)
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 17:53

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
What an awful thing to happen, I feel so sorry for you both.

Naturally I hope everything is sorted out ASAP and you are able to get away for your much looked forward to trip.

I don't know anything about insurance, but maybe your personal belongings are covered by your household insurance.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 14:34 Thread Starter

I have received full payment for our motorhome and we are collecting a new one tomorrow. My insurance company have been excellent so far. All that remains to be recovered are the contents of the van and other losses. My insurance company's solictior is pursuing my case with the other insurers who haven't been very proactive so far.

We are fairly optimistic of a reasonable outcome.

On the downside, we had to cancel the Greek ferries, I got a full refund less exchange rate and bank charges which I hope to recover from the insurance company.

We have rearranged the ferry to France and head to off in our new van on the Wednesday after Easter. No specific route has been planned. our general direction from Cherbourg is down to the Rhone and Provence, we might see a bit more of Italy and because we have downsized to 3.5T we may go to Switzerland as well. We haven't been there for more than 40 years so it may have changed a bit )

Maybe we'll get to Greece next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to scept1c For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (08-03-2018)
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 15:57

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Thanks for the feed-back with the good news that you are nearly sorted and can plan to go off.

But a terrible omission - what MH have you bought, please?

Geoff
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 20:02

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Thank you for updating us all - it is good to have a "nice" outcome and that most things have been sorted so far (excpt the contents and compensation of course) but at least you can be back with a MH prpearing for the forthcoming trip

Have fun and do keep us informed how things pan out and of course how your trip goes - that will be of interest to us all.

Best wishes.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 20:45

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Great news sept1c! Hopefully you're reaching the end of what must have been a very stressful period. But it sounds as if your insurance company has made it a lot less stressful than it might have been.

Have you any knowledge of how Simon is getting on?

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page