Scooter / motorcycle breakdown cover EU - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-06-2017, 17:50 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Scooter / motorcycle breakdown cover EU

Just got round to taking out my usual Swinton Breakdown cover for the scooter for our trip next week into Europe and when I Called them they informed me that their cover is now only for people who have insurance policies with them. I used to pay monthly as you could then just cancel it on your return. Think it was about £6.99 a month for EU cover.

Im not sure the guy was telling me porkies to be honest as he took my details, went off to talk to someone and came back and said they cant cover me.

Been having a hunt around and its a bit of a minefield with some policies only covering 30 days and some not covering bikes under 121cc (ours is 110cc).

I found https://www.startrescue.co.uk/ though who (with a discount code) will give me annual breakdown cover for the bike for £50 (with a discount code). I dont need it for half the year as the bike doesnt get used out of season much. I would prefer a monthly policy but for £50 it doesnt really matter. Anyone used them? Ive never heard of them. Reviews are not too bad with a few stinkers in there as well.

Who are you scooterists and motorcyclists using for breakdown cover in the EU?

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 24-06-2017, 21:06

I have a Ford Galaxy, 2013 Triumph Street Triple, 2015 KTM Duke 390 and a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 all insured through Carole Nash on a 6 wheel policy which includes European repatriation breakdown cover for up to 90 days for £415.

Been with them for quite a few years. I can get slightly lower quotes elsewhere but I don't get any breakdown cover and the excesses are more than double.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-06-2017, 11:20 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by shercat View Post
I have a Ford Galaxy, 2013 Triumph Street Triple, 2015 KTM Duke 390 and a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 all insured through Carole Nash on a 6 wheel policy which includes European repatriation breakdown cover for up to 90 days for £415.

Been with them for quite a few years. I can get slightly lower quotes elsewhere but I don't get any breakdown cover and the excesses are more than double.
Thanks but I already have insurance, just need breakdown insurance now. I think ill give Start Rescue a go. Just wondered who everyone else was using. I posted on the wildies as well but pretty much everyone on there with a scooter doesnt bother with breakdown cover or as with you its an add on to their insurance.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-06-2017, 19:17

My Motorhome: Hymer 504
Have you tried ADAC for your breakdown cover. Several forums rate them and apparently good on price. Possibly worth a phone call.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-06-2017, 20:27 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thanks but for some reason I have a recollection that they dont cover small scooters but considering the various insurance and breakdown cover I have now it might be worth a revisit.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-06-2017, 21:18

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Haven't a clue babe

Ours sits on the drive for almost all of the year

Sandra
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-06-2017, 10:54

We are with Devitt, zenith insurance

We not insured for breakdown, always assumed if we breakdown we can use public transport to the van and then collect the scooter ourselves

Sandra
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-06-2017, 13:09 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldra View Post
We are with Devitt, zenith insurance

We not insured for breakdown, always assumed if we breakdown we can use public transport to the van and then collect the scooter ourselves

Sandra
I posted similar on the wildies and thats what most people said there as well. Clocking up 1000 miles a month on the bike though and potentially being 50+ miles away from the van in the middle of nowhere or up a mountain would be a bit of a worry.
aldra and aldra like this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-06-2017, 21:32

You mad biker you

Sandra
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-06-2017, 22:26 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Ive took out a policy with Start Rescue. £50 for annual cover with 90 days in Europe with their five star cover. I got a 15% discount with a code of the internet (Cant remember where). Nobody on here or the wildies seems to bother with it unless they get it with their bike insurance but I would say its pretty vital for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page