Several Questions ? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 10:33 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
Several Questions ?

Just had 5 days at Sutton on Sea CC and several questions sprung to mind.

Why is it some dog owners think it is acceptable that their dogs continually bark at passing campers, wood pigeons and all and anything inbetween ?

Then when you look at the owners expecting them to quieten the dog down, they smile and simply laugh ?

That some owners think the "Dogs must be kept on leads" does not apply to them ?

I like dogs but do not own one as we feel it would be unfair on the dog as we
are wardens we would have to place it in a cage whilst working.

I love dogs, always have but why is it so many owners cannot control their dogs.
Many people have a very evident fear of any dog, no matter what the size.
Being told "Oh he /she wont hurt you" does not wash.

It is putting us off more and more of camping these days as invariably there will be dogs, but more importantly irresponsible owners.

Too many owners treat their pooches like children, and in some instances I have seen them pushing them in prams !

I realise some dogs are incessant barkers.....so why do they take them away with them when they must realise it spoils it for fellow campers.

It is obvious I will get some flak off dog owners on here but I am only speaking the truth. Consideration would be nice.

DJM
p-c, p-c, waspes and 5 others like this.

Wife: Have you got a fiver ? Me: £4 ? what do you want £3 for ?
Here's £2, bring me the change !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 10:49

I would have thought that a word with the owners of the dog first and if that doesn't resolve the matter then a chat/complaint to the site warden.

Nick.

A small deed done is better than a great deed planned.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 10:54 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I think not. If they have not got the common sense to keep the dog quiet, having a word with them will not compute.

I have better things to do with my chill out time than keep running to the warden or speaking to them. I should not have too. It's that magic word CONSIDERATION.

DJM
Robell and Robell like this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 12:25

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
I bet the dogs that bark are all tide up on linen lines, don´t look at the dogs, they may take your stare as a challenge.
I imagine a lot of these dogs are bored out of their minds having to stay put all day tied to the caravan/motorhome, how would kids behave if they were treated so, better still how would you feel.
Dogs should be kept active in body and mind. Every one loves their dog, thats not enough, they have to be taught to behave and basic training is often missing.
We avoid camp sites when possible, if we do HAVE to go to one we would always choose a spot away from the busy area even though our dogs have always been well behaved, as you say, not everyone likes dogs and some are afraid of them,
It would be an idea me thinks, if sites that allowed dogs had a separate section with a play area for them. If there was such an area for caravaners/motorhomes those that don´t like dogs could stay away from that area.

You are quite correct, its not the dogs fault, they think what they are doing is the right thing, its the owners at fault for not teaching them otherwise.

Mind you, if you came to our van you would be barked at as thats how Shade greets everybody, even us
LadyJ and LadyJ like this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 12:39 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Yes Jan training is the operative word but more so for the owners in the first instance.
JanHank and JanHank like this.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 12:44

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMotorhomer View Post
Yes Jan training is the operative word but more so for the owners in the first instance.
Thats mostly the way, first you have to be able to communicate with the dog and there are many dog owners who cannot do this.

I'm Jan
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 12:54

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
We have two dogs. They don't bark at people. They aren't allowed to.

Once on a site in Spain we had a van full of small yappy dogs come and park near us.

They barked all that time and stepped it up a gear if anything or anybody went past them. Finally I'd had enough and went out to have a word with the owners. I had noticed the van was Spanish registered so I tore a strip off them in Spanish, which earned me a round of applause from other van owners. The dogs were taken inside and the barking stopped. Net morning the van left. Later that day I discovered that the owners were Germans who had a house in Spain but apparently didn't speak a word of Spanish. It didn't matter, they got the message.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 14:01

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Sadly it's a sign of the times and ranks alongside inconsiderate gits who seem to think just because THEY enjoy loud music we all share their tastes!!

There is currently a new housing estate going up at the bottom of my garden, I am sure that the brickies are in competition with the scaffolders as to who has the LOUDEST bloody radio!! (Tuned to different stations of course!)

I have tried the polite "Could you turn it down a bit guys"" approach,

"Ah f*** o** you miserable old git" was the response.

I suspect I might be having a word with the local council noise pollution officer very shortly AFTER I have recorded enough of "their" music to make sure in includes a few news reports which will prove time and date.

They might win the battle but guess who plans on winning the war? No point getting older if you don't get any wiser eh??

Game on

Andy
p-c, p-c, DJMotorhomer and 3 others like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 14:19

Personal Aire
We had that trouble with our neighbour, loud `music`´until 5.30 am on more than one occasion.
then Hans told them it was not on 1 1/2 hours later I went with my very best German and told him and his pals; I won´t tell you again I will call the police.
Next time they were playing their game I called the police, they had a warning.
Next time I called the police again, they recieved a fine of 200€ and we have piece.
We haven´t fallen out with him ( a 47 year old teenager) he feeds the cat while we are away and we were cutting tree´s down together on Saturday.

I'm Jan
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 15:23

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Yes, I agree about what passes for music these days. Can't stand most of it and certainly don't want to have it inflicted on me.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page