Petition for drivers over 70 to be tested every 3 years - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 10:56

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
In my early 60s I started driving professionaly and for nearly 10 years I averaged between 30-50,000 miles a year.

I believe my driving improved in that time, particularly the anticipation of f*ckwit manoeuvres by others. I was driving a range if vehicles - light vans minibuses, transit-size and 7.5t with tail-lift.

I, and the other drivers, did an advanced driving course at age of 67-68, organised by our employers, and got a very good rating.

I am now 75 and have a C1 licence so I have a medical every 3 years.

My perception is that for someone with my experience a test at age 70 would have been unnecessary. Also would I be expected to do the the C1 test, since I have pre-1997 'grandfather' rights and was never required to do a C1 test? So it would be difficult to legislate for who should or should not need re-testing and in what vehicles. If there were to be a re-test I think that the age of 70 is too soon for many drivers - but maybe too late for some

I could also still be holding a Private Pilot's Licence with no requirement for a re-test, except for a Medical.

Geoff
raynipper and raynipper like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 12:00 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
My perception is that for someone with my experience a test at age 70 would have been unnecessary. Also would I be expected to do the the C1 test, since I have pre-1997 'grandfather' rights and was never required to do a C1 test? So it would be difficult to legislate for who should or should not need re-testing and in what vehicles. If there were to be a re-test I think that the age of 70 is too soon for many drivers - but maybe too late for some
It's a difficult one isn't it because I know some people in their mid 70's who absolutely should not be driving but there are many others in their 80's who are very competent. Maybe the answer is a basic competency test at say 75. The examiner can either say all looks good and issue a pass or if there are doubts refer the driver for a more extensive test.

Peter
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 13:08

Location: Ex Rochdale,now Cabanas de Tavira, S.Brittany & where the wheels take me
My Motorhome: Calder Leisure Ultralite 5'er & Globecar Globestar PVC
I presume the whole point of a test in whatever form is to judge the competency of the individual, if you feel that you are competent then you have nothing to fear from having a test.

As I said previously, in my opinion the only question is at what age, I think there is a very good case for tests at regular intervals, possibly with diminishing intervals, from passing the original test.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al42 View Post
I presume the whole point of a test in whatever form is to judge the competency of the individual, if you feel that you are competent then you have nothing to fear from having a test.

As I said previously, in my opinion the only question is at what age, I think there is a very good case for tests at regular intervals, possibly with diminishing intervals, from passing the original test.
Except the cost and inconvenience of getting to the UK for millions of people driving on a UK licence

Geoff
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
I've got a speed awareness course next month and quite looking forward to it although Mrs P did one last year and said it was deathly boring! They used to take you out on the road for a short drive with an instructor which seemed a good idea but it's all classroom now. My daughter did one a few years ago including the lesson and although she'd only passed her test a couple of years before when she was 18 the instructor suggested strongly that she should go back for more lessons!

I'm hoping that the course will help me to become more aware of where motorcycle cops with video cameras are hiding on 70mph dual carriageways trying to catch innocent motorists poodling along at 80mph!
The recent awareness course someone I knew took was classroom based for the morning and then involved 2 of the course members going out in the same car and each being asked to do 2X15 minute and 2X30 minute drives including giving a running commentary of what actions they were taking and why. She didn't have time to check what was in the shop windows as she passed!!!!! One person on the course thought they should not be there as the accident they were involved in when they had knocked down and injured them was in a Car Park.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 15:57

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Bit like the MOT test. A certificate is no guarantee of mechanical compliance. Only on that day.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 19:37

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
That's one of the issues, Don, why don't you enjoy it as much as you used to? Is it harder work? vehicle not as comfortable?

I used to go to Inverness and back in 24 hours, no sweat, just a short rest break. Now I'd probably want double the time.

Peter
Peter I realised about four years ago that driving was becoming hard work, I'd driven world wide over the years but suddenly it became a chore that's why we sold the van and bought a car.

I find that I worry a lot more than I used to ten years ago, I rely heavily on the sat nav and the good lady who helps me out a lot. I practice defensive driving at all times. I also stick to the speed limits as I don't wont to get points on my licence, at 83 the insurers might be reluctant to renew my insurance.

As for the driving test many people find the test is a test of the nervous system rather than their driving ability. I plan to carry on driving as long as possible, I know my limitations and I know when its time to hand the keys over.

At one time I could not imagine life without driving but I've come to terms with that, hopefully I can drive to Portugal for a few more years yet.

Don
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 19:46

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Agreed Don.
Take the easy option always. Personally I find the more modern car makes it effortless and motorways help.

Ray.
aldra and aldra like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 20:57

This thread is starting to worry me.

I think Don gave up his MH 3-4 years ago, i.e. 79-80 years of age.

I am 75 and Basia's Mother will be 96 in May and still needs us around quite often.

I just wonder whether the window will close on me between when we are free enough to go long-term MHing and when I can still drive.

I am hoping I might go on driving a bit beyond 80, but Mother might be here for longer than that.

We still manage to get away for several weeks a year, but it often has the complication of arranging parking and flights back for visits, which is a pain, despite good friends helping out with the parking and lifts to airports.

It would just be nice to go for 6 months only in the MH - just drift at will, without dates.

Please indulge my mental wanderings.

Geoff
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 20-04-2017, 11:35

A company I worked for arranged for all its employees to drive for an hour with an Advanced Driving Instructor. I was about 50 ish at the time and was given a good report and some tips on extra road awareness that would have been part of an advanced test. Also that I could drive in a lower gear more often than I did. One of the partners had to keep to the speed limit, something he never did, and commented on how relaxing he found the drive!

It was a nice experience and perhaps would be more popular among the elderly than a "test". It was a retired police driver that offered the service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page