Best time to buy a Motorhome? - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 164 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 16:57 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
Well after talking to the Elddiss dealer and mentioned I had a Swift all he could say was they are a load of crap, full of damp even though my existing one isn't, shame I liked the one they had.

Went to another dealer last weekend and mentioned I had looked at an Elddiss the week before, all he could say was that they are a load of cheap rubbish, just an entry level van.

Why cannot these sales people not be negative about their opposition and just be positive as to what they sell, it really puts me off when they take this attitude, I wont be going back to either of them.

Down to Webbs this weekend, I will see what they are like.

In my last job I managed a sales team and instructed them not to put down the opposition but to expand the positives of our equipment (which was company policy) backhanders was also a no no, we pulled out of Russia because of this.

Oh well I will keep looking.
barryd and barryd like this.

Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 164 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 17:00

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
We were in car main dealers the other day, got the same crap about the other main dealer over the road, sad really.
post #43 of 164 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 17:02

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock View Post
Well after talking to the Elddiss dealer and mentioned I had a Swift all he could say was they are a load of crap, full of damp even though my existing one isn't, shame I liked the one they had.

Went to another dealer last weekend and mentioned I had looked at an Elddiss the week before, all he could say was that they are a load of cheap rubbish, just an entry level van.

Why cannot these sales people not be negative about their opposition and just be positive as to what they sell, it really puts me off when they take this attitude, I wont be going back to either of them.

Down to Webbs this weekend, I will see what they are like.

In my last job I managed a sales team and instructed them not to put down the opposition but to expand the positives of our equipment (which was company policy) backhanders was also a no no, we pulled out of Russia because of this.

Oh well I will keep looking.
? Because they are not selling very good products - e.g. quality Continental MHs?

post #44 of 164 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 18:05 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
? Because they are not selling very good products - e.g. quality Continental MHs?
But i don't really want a continental motorhome, I want a MH that can fit on my drive, habitation door on the passenger side as I have to park with the drivers side tight up against my wall , don't want to annoy the neighbors by encroaching on our shared space and no more than 7mtrs long

Barry
The Following User Says Thank You to Matchlock For This Useful Post:
aldra (18-01-2017)
post #45 of 164 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock View Post
But i don't really want a continental motorhome, I want a MH that can fit on my drive, habitation door on the passenger side as I have to park with the drivers side tight up against my wall , don't want to annoy the neighbors by encroaching on our shared space and no more than 7mtrs long
Barry

My comment was only addressing the reason they may not be concentrating on the positives of their products, possibly not having confidence in the quality of the products, rather than knocking other dealers products.

It was nothing to do with suggesting you should want a Continental MH.

Geoff
Matchlock and Matchlock like this.
post #46 of 164 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 19:36

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
I dunno Geoff. Did you ever read my Bailey Vs Hymer thread? I thought the Bailey seemed better quality than the Hymer. Im not so sure the really modern ones there is much in it. Certainly the old Hymers were build to last like tanks and some early Brit vans could be a bit ropy. Is it still the case? I wonder.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #47 of 164 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I dunno Geoff. Did you ever read my Bailey Vs Hymer thread? I thought the Bailey seemed better quality than the Hymer. Im not so sure the really modern ones there is much in it. Certainly the old Hymers were build to last like tanks and some early Brit vans could be a bit ropy. Is it still the case? I wonder.
Heyup Lad, don't try to drag me into a 'one marque v. another marque' discussion as I know very little, especially about British ones.

The discussion about which I commented was about salesmens' negative comments about other dealers, or their emphasing the plus points of their own products - e.g Rear Loungesand their confidence in their own products.

[Off-topic, but I would be sh*tting myself if I failed my C1 medical and had to choose something under 3.5t - thus plan to holiday with our Doctor in Sept. OK for you - 20 years to run, maybe]

Geoff
post #48 of 164 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 22:44

My Motorhome: Globecar Campscout
Send a message via AIM to MEES
We have downsized to a 6.3 meter Globecar campscout.
We weren't looking for one but when we saw it realised it meets our needs.
The 'back end' has two large comfortable singles with the middle bit filled in so place for books iPads etc.
You can infill it to make a more than king size double.
Below the bed is the huge ' boot'
We use it as a lounge to read books etc etc watch tv
Forward is a bathroom/ shower which can be enclosed with bedroom or with the front.
Forward is kitchen big fridge and dinette.mthe cab seats swivel .
It is MUCH smaller than our previous van , easier to drive/ park, much more economical, very cosy and meets all our needs.
Minor disadvantages cooking requires a hit more planning and it's better if only one person moves around at once!
Maybe it's better to look around rather than get too fixed on a layout.
Margaret

Enjoying our motorhome travels in UK and Europe looking forward to our new van a Globemaster campscout
post #49 of 164 (permalink) Old 18-01-2017, 09:12

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
We're still happiest with the front lounge and central kitchen layout, was firmly in the rear lounge camp before.
post #50 of 164 (permalink) Old 18-01-2017, 17:32 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEES View Post
We have downsized to a 6.3 meter Globecar campscout.
We weren't looking for one but when we saw it realised it meets our needs.
The 'back end' has two large comfortable singles with the middle bit filled in so place for books iPads etc.
You can infill it to make a more than king size double.
Below the bed is the huge ' boot'
We use it as a lounge to read books etc etc watch tv
Forward is a bathroom/ shower which can be enclosed with bedroom or with the front.
Forward is kitchen big fridge and dinette.mthe cab seats swivel .
It is MUCH smaller than our previous van , easier to drive/ park, much more economical, very cosy and meets all our needs.
Minor disadvantages cooking requires a hit more planning and it's better if only one person moves around at once!
Maybe it's better to look around rather than get too fixed on a layout.
Margaret
Is the lounge fixed beds? and can it be easily used for lazing about on? I am open to layouts as long as it suits us.
I don't want a transverse bed with the problems of climbing over the other during the night, kitchen doesn't bother me, I will happily sit in the cab seat and watch.

Barry
The Following User Says Thank You to Matchlock For This Useful Post:
Pudsey_Bear (19-01-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page