Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Motorhome ChitChat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/20-motorhome-chitchat/)
-   -   Outdoor cooking (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/20-motorhome-chitchat/197778-outdoor-cooking.html)

StephandJohn 30-10-2016 18:33

Outdoor cooking

We have Gaslow and had a gas point fitted so we can cook outside.
Any recommendations for a double burner with/without grill and/or a griddle.

aldra 30-10-2016 20:31

We use a Cadac
With a grill plate from Aldi

Without the grill plate we use it to boil soup, rice for the hound and chicken in the pressure cooker

A good all rounder
Sandra

Spacerunner 30-10-2016 23:32

We also use a Caravan Safari. Very useful and ideal for cooking the more aromatic foods such as curries or fish. Alternatively when on hook up we use a Lidl's induction hob on an extension lead. Makes an ideal electric BBQ.

GMJ 31-10-2016 08:37

Cadac Carri Chef 2 here.

It comes with a pot stand so you can make one pan meals easily - curry, bolognaise, chilli etc - as ell as use the grill for normal BBQ stuff (and do a full English easily :smile2:)

Graham :smile2:

Zebedee 31-10-2016 09:51

Forget the cooking Steph - John will do that. It's a man thing!! :wink2:

Think carefully about cleaning it (specially if John does that too!) Some of them are a right pain :surprise: - so much so that they get used twice and consigned to the loft.

Unless you want something approaching a "real" barbecue, one of those 15 quid single burners (that use a gas canister) plus a cast iron griddle takes some beating. The griddle is dead easy to clean, and the burner can be used with any other pots and pans as the fancy takes you.

Small and easy to store too. Not the same as a BBQ, but it doesn't pretend to be. More like the kitchen at home.

To be honest I think the gas point on the van wall is a good idea . . . . in theory. In practice it can be a bit of a pain. I fitted one, and we used it twice!!!!

Dave :smile2:

StephandJohn 31-10-2016 09:55

Same here. we've only used it a couple of times with the cadac. Found the cadac a bit fiddly but last year in Spain it was so hot that I decided I wanted an easy to use outdoor kitchen that would take no time to fix up for an overnight stop.

andrewball1000 31-10-2016 09:56

Cadac Safari Chef for me too. My bed is over the garage so I want something I can clean easily. I have tried others but this works for me. After five years use I put bits in my oven at home on Pyrolytic cycle which got the stuck fast debris off!

Zebedee 31-10-2016 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewball1000 (Post 2311554)
My bed is over the garage so I want something I can clean easily.

Am I going senile Andrew, or is it you?? :surprise:

I don't follow the logic there! :serious:

Dave

Grizzly 31-10-2016 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee (Post 2311538)

Unless you want something approaching a "real" barbecue, one of those 15 quid single burners (that use a gas canister) plus a cast iron griddle takes some beating. The griddle is dead easy to clean, and the burner can be used with any other pots and pans as the fancy takes you.

Dave :smile2:

We're with Zeb on this one.

We use one of these on our single burner cartridge stove:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-...-plate-p210802

Fish, meat etc cooks perfectly, easy to clean and the added advantage- is that, if you do run out of gas and can't immediately refill- then you have a spare cartridge and stove to cook on. The cartridges can be bought almost anywhere. That and the stove, in its little case, pack away neatly and the whole thing is a lot cheaper than a gas BBQ.

Zebedee 31-10-2016 12:02

Hi Grizzly

Hadn't seen the grill plate, but it looks good.

I presume the fat doesn't drip onto the stove itself?? It sounds as if there's an integral drip tray, but it isn't very clear from the description.

Next purchase imminent I fear!! :surprise:

Dave

P.S. We have all electric cooking at home, and during the occasional power cut the little stove is perfectly adequate for making a cuppa and preparing a snack meal in the frying pan or saucepan. It has rescued us a couple of times already - though we would usually de-camp into the van when it wasn't too freezing cold.