Driving Licence - Age 70 - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 24-11-2016, 11:50

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
Cheers, Andrew:

My last examination was a '50 special' at Northampton, which threw up my heart valve problem, so happy to have caught that.

I need my HGV renewal to give me the weights I need for towing our big trailer behind the Mercedes, which would gross at 9.5 tonnes. On a Grandfather Rights C1+_E licence that would only give me 8.25 tonnes train weight. With my CE renewed, the C1E goes up to 12 tonnes.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 10:06

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Cheers, Andrew:

My last examination was a '50 special' at Northampton, which threw up my heart valve problem, so happy to have caught that.

I need my HGV renewal to give me the weights I need for towing our big trailer behind the Mercedes, which would gross at 9.5 tonnes. On a Grandfather Rights C1+_E licence that would only give me 8.25 tonnes train weight. With my CE renewed, the C1E goes up to 12 tonnes.

Peter
I am working from memory now(not the best reference source in the world) but I think my last driving licence, age 70-73 actually had a note of 8250kg next to C1. My current one from age 73 only has '01' in the notes section - I wonder how many people know what '01' refers to?, because it is not on the card.

Geoff
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 10:10

Personal Aire
You need to wear glasses if I remember correctly, Geoff.

8250kg is the Grandfather Rights rating for C1+E, full rating is 12Tonnes.

Peter

post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 10:12

A couple of days ago the Optician filled in the form with a pass for my D2? over 3.5 ton bit... Just the doc to see on the 13 Dec for a medical..

Fingers crossed.

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 10:36

Quote:
Cheers, Andrew:

Peter
Peter

I am only possibly correcting you to your own advantage.

I think that even if they would not renew your CE that you would not have to rely on 'grandfarther' rights for your C1 as you had in the past taken a C test, so you would still be entitled to 12,000kg train weight a if you had taken a C1 test.

I am not sure whether the medical criteria for CE and C1 are different, but if push comes to shove it may be worth bearing in mind for the future.

I hope this info is unnecessary but might be useful if there is a problem with CE in the future.

Geoff
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 10:43

Personal Aire
Interesting thought, I hadn't gone that far into it to be honest.

If they refused my Group C on medical grounds, they would have to refuse my C1 as well.

Medical is the same for both, 3 yearly for C1 and annually for C, so if you're doing the one, you may as well do t'other.

The requirements are identical for bus licences as well, Group D and DE.

Peter
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 11:17

Quote:
Interesting thought, I hadn't gone that far into it to be honest.

If they refused my Group C on medical grounds, they would have to refuse my C1 as well.

Medical is the same for both, 3 yearly for C1 and annually for C, so if you're doing the one, you may as well do t'other.

The requirements are identical for bus licences as well, Group D and DE.

Peter
Peter

I agree it is the same D4 form but I just wonder whether what the Doctor reports is judged by the same criteria.

When I did my initial Medical for my Commercial pilot's Licence it was done by RAF Examiners at Kelvin House in London. My eye test was 'marginal' so the Lady Doctor had to look up the criteria for military and civil and said I would not pass for military( they don't allow glasses for negative 'G' but civil aircraft try not to do it - it spills champagne and coffee), but I was OK for Civil.

As I was a marginal 'pass' I asked the CAA for a second opinion (not wanting to fail 5 years later). They sent me to a Consultant - a dour Scotsman, no 'Good Morning'. He did a quick eye test and said 'Och you'll fly!' Then went on to do a thorough test and said I would need glasses at the age of 37 - he was spot on!

My point being that the Medics at DVLA might use different criteria according to whether you are applying for CE or C1, using the samD4 form.

Geoff
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 11:36

Personal Aire
I'm pretty sure that there is no variance, Geoff, but DVLA do reserve the right to delve into your medical history if they see something that they are not happy with.

If there was to be a variance they would have to let you know on the application, but what they have done is to bring the more severe medical test down to the lower weight class.

I've got an interview this morning with a lady from the Institute for Cancer Research, they are doing a study into breast cancer in men. Had to dig back through my family history a bit!

Peter
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 12:30

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that there is no variance, Geoff, but DVLA do reserve the right to delve into your medical history if they see something that they are not happy with.

If there was to be a variance they would have to let you know on the application, but what they have done is to bring the more severe medical test down to the lower weight class.

I've got an interview this morning with a lady from the Institute for Cancer Research, they are doing a study into breast cancer in men. Had to dig back through my family history a bit!

Peter
Peter

Please do not think this is not any sort of argument, as I think we get on OK - just a discussion about the thinking behind the medical criteria

DVLA do not publish the medical criteria for any licence, as far as I know, so how would they publish a 'variance'?

I also wonder whether DVLA have their own 'Doctors', whether they outsource the decisions and who within DVLA does the Medical Quality Control.

It is a bit of a worry, since the rest of the organisation seems to be somewhat inefficient. - they do not have a Legal Department and rely on the DfT Legal Department, who seem not want to bother with DVLA matters, from my experience.

The worry for us is that we do not know on whose head rests the decision about what may be a big part of our lives - more for you than I.

Sometimes I niggle at these problems more than maybe I should, but I feel that if somebody does not do it then there is no accountability in some Government Agencies and they sit back and just wait for their pension.

Rant over.

Geoff
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 13:17

Personal Aire
They do publish the criteria, Geoff, both in the actual medical report and leaflet INF4D, and things like eyesight standards are on the DVLA website.

You haven't had to deal with them, but there is a Driver Medical Department that handles queries and the like, I have had dealings with them and found their responses very satisfactory so far.

There is also a whole raft of additional reporting forms for almost all medical conditions which affect your driving ability:

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page