Oh the fun of it! - Page 6 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 73 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 13:50

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyriders View Post
Indeed, but as we pointed out in our original post, we do indeed have a spare wheel fitted with an inflated serviceable tyre.

It was getting it off, and then onto the wheel that was the problem. Don't think we would have managed it if there weren't two of us, and we're getting a bit old for that sort of thing. Mucky job, too, what if we were all dressed up on our way to some special function?
My reply, of which you only chose part of, was focused on Alex's rather than your post.

I totally understood and agree with your original post.
Easyriders and Easyriders like this.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to eurajohn For This Useful Post:
Easyriders (16-06-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 73 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 18:52

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
We have a spare but never carry it

Didn't know it was compulsary in France

Oopps

Aldra
post #53 of 73 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 19:15 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Knaus Ski Ti 700meb
Personal Aire
France and spare wheel requirements..................

Inquiries are suggesting it is not a legal requirement to carry a spare wheel, but you must have a viable system for emergency repair to a punctured Tyre . Apparently..

Almost all (if not all indeed) of the French car makers are now supplying cars without spares, (I am told) And very many new Motor homes now come spare less..

This from various Google sources and Forums... So? .............. I will keep enquiring.

We did about 4 weeks in France last year with our tribute and it came without a spare too. Then a few more weeks on the Moselle also.

Can't be more definite than this at the moment..... Anyone comment?

Al' ....

post #54 of 73 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 19:25 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
But Al, picture the scenario:
You've sold the spare and you are away in the van (not necessarily in some out of the way foreign place) pulling in to that lovely overnight spot you run over a large metal spike that tears a lump out of a tyre.
Oh bother you utter, no worries I'll call the assistance people, they respond with all haste but of course don't have a replacement tyre to fit.
The kindly assistance person removes the wheel but assures you they will not return until the following day at the earliest.
You are now faced with a dilemma, you can't stay in the van on three wheels and you can't drive it anywhere.

Still think it's a good idea to get rid of it?

Hi Bud.. Yes I take your point but me being me would make sure the van was safely chocked and supported on it's Jack (that is in the boot along with the extra one I had in the tribute! I forgot to include it with the van when we PX'd it. LOL ).. and happily stay in the van till the cavalry came back with the repaired wheel.

Why not.? Are you saying it's not possible to safely support the vehicle? I would argue that point.

Alex..
eurajohn and eurajohn like this.
post #55 of 73 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 19:32

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Good

We have a squirty thing

Their is no way Albert could change a wheel, he couldn't get down

No way I could help

I'm so stiff I'm slowly turning to stone

We do have a jack

So we'll take our chances

Plus we've paid breakdown for years and never used them

Surely it's time
Aldra
alexblack13 and alexblack13 like this.
post #56 of 73 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 22:14 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldra View Post
Good

We have a squirty thing

Their is no way Albert could change a wheel, he couldn't get down

No way I could help

I'm so stiff I'm slowly turning to stone

We do have a jack

So we'll take our chances

Plus we've paid breakdown for years and never used them

Surely it's time
Aldra

Hi Sandra,

You guys need some sunshine and wine!

We also have the squirty stuff. I bought the official Fiat puncture repair / inflation device . I know its limitation for sure but would try it providing the Tyre is not wrecked. I used a similar system once on my Lotus sports car and it worked amazingly well but the Tyre only had a screw nail in it. Still needed a new Tyre though as it had damaged the cords.

Worth a try no doubt. Its kinda down to a bit of luck and hope sods law does not apply.. (Pigs might fly)

I am going to carry my spare wheel tools though as they are not too heavy or indeed bulky & It always gives me the option of jacking the van up and removing the flat. Taxi!!!! Nearest tyre depot please. ? Or indeed just call the ghostbusters. Options again.. And as I said before we are in no real rush ever.

it could all change though. LOL ...

Carol and I hope to see you out and about sometime and wish you both the very best of health and luck.. So with any luck?? No punctures for you two.

We are booked into Shabbington rally again this year. I see quite a few are attending... Havoc or what?

Alex & Carol Black
post #57 of 73 (permalink) Old 16-06-2016, 18:15

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
We always carry a spare and have had to use it. But, as others have said, get the breakdown blokes to fit it. There's no way I would have jacked a 3.5ton vehicle up with my bum practically on the inside lane of a French motorway. Ok you can decide not to carry a spare but when we had a blow out it was a Sunday which would have meant spending at least one night outside a garage, assuming they had a Camper tyre in stock - which is pretty doubtful. This was a full blow out mind, not just a repairable puncture.

fatimasaysell.com is Mrs Adonisito's interesting blog!

Link to our album
post #58 of 73 (permalink) Old 17-06-2016, 08:51
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2012 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
We had a blow out in our Bess. Gutted as the tyre was only 3 months old. The RAC were great and came; investigated; sourced; and fitted a new tyre in around 3 hours. They charged me the going rate (give or take) as well.

We only had the glue compressor on board which would not have worked in this case.

When we got back I sourced an ALKO underslung cradle (c£120 direct from ALKO) and a steel spare c/w brand new tyre (£60 from a scrapper). I fitted them myself. It took around an hour.

I had little intention of swapping tyres if I had another issue but at least I would have it on board for a recovery man to do.

We have since changed our MH to an Autotraiil which comes with a spare.

I wouldn't be without one

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

post #59 of 73 (permalink) Old 17-06-2016, 09:02

Whimps
You lot want to change a truck super single when it is pi$$ing down, or 40 degree hot. And at the side of the road

edit
Incidentally, would I be without a spare wheel and tyre? No Way!
At the very least, a person needs a spare tyre, as some can be difficult to source. Thinking of holidays and weekends and out of the way places!
GMJ and GMJ like this.

Last edited by 113016; 17-06-2016 at 09:06.
post #60 of 73 (permalink) Old 17-06-2016, 12:23

Personal Aire
Spare wheel or not?

Hi all,
Recently upgraded my Nationwide account to Flexplus which gives breakdown cover through Britannia Rescue.
Under section E it states:-

"For all vehicles, caravans or trailers and motorhomes, if appropriate you must always carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or a manufacturer supplied or approved emergency tyre inflation kit or equipment and keys for any tyre security devices"

So on that basis if your motorhome came with a spare wheel and tyre, you would be obliged to carry it unless the manufacturer approved the 'gunge' kit in its place.

I have a spare in my motorhome garage reasonably accessible and have tried changing wheels at home OK apart from the Fiat jack being almost at it's height limit for removing the rears.

I also carry a small bottle jack but never been out the box.

Cheers,
Alan

It won't be long until a wee while now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page