Spanish residency but English van. Advice please - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 22:30

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I thought it was permissible for someone emigrating to Spain to import a RHD vehicle but it is not allowed if you are already a Spanish resident. However the homologation process in Spain is enough to put most people off regardless of whether or not they are allowed to do it.
MyGalSal and MyGalSal like this.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 15:35

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Sal, I would heartily recommend that you get proper professional advice.

I got a lot of very differing and mostly wrong urban myth type advice regarding exactly the same thing in France, the reality was that the procedure was difficult mainly because of the language barrier, but once all of the requirements were met it was very straightforward.
Yours is a reasonably recent vehicle which will make the process easier.

I do not have experience of Spain but would think it likely the procedure will be similar for most EU countries, although I believe Nicholsong has a problem being unable to register his RHD in Poland.

As to the driving licence, an EU style driving licence (plastic card type) is legally valid across the EU with no requirement to change to your country of domicile (unless points are accrued for traffic offence) for the duration of its validity, maximum of 10 years from issue for the photocard, FACT not myth.
The photocard cannot be renewed from a non UK address.
After the photocard expires it will be necessary to exchange for one from the country you are living in.

Having said that don't know what will happen if the UK leaves the EU.

John

Last edited by eurajohn; 10-03-2016 at 15:38. Reason: Addition
The Following User Says Thank You to eurajohn For This Useful Post:
MyGalSal (11-03-2016)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 15:49

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Just had a look on the UK gov site and they advise it is unlikely you will be able to register you RHD vehicle!
The UK gov site recommends this site for help http://www.race.es/

John
The Following User Says Thank You to eurajohn For This Useful Post:
MyGalSal (11-03-2016)

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
I thought it was permissible for someone emigrating to Spain to import a RHD vehicle but it is not allowed if you are already a Spanish resident. However the homologation process in Spain is enough to put most people off regardless of whether or not they are allowed to do it.
Anyone can import a vehicle to Spain whether resident or not although you will need a Spanish bank account as import and other taxes have to be paid .It is actually fairly simple but obviously if vehicle is RHD will require headlights and possibly rear light units to be changed then an ITV (mot) test and all relevant paperwork completed. Unless you speak good Spanish it is often easier to use an agent to do all the legwork. I do actually speak from personal experience of myself and my family and friends who have done this . however as I said in a previous post my understanding is that you cannot transfer an RHD motorhome or indeed any RHD van onto Spanish plates as it will not pass the ITV test because of lack of visibility down the LH side.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianJP For This Useful Post:
MyGalSal (11-03-2016)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 17:29

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post

Not correct I'm afraid.
Any Brit in Spain can import their vehicle into Spain (unless the vehicle cannot be legally rematriculated here according to Spanish road traffic law, ie no commercial vehicles over ten years old, etc, etc).
The difference that I suspect you are referring to is that if doing so within three months of immigrating into Spain, as a declared part of your "goods and chattels" that you bring in, you can get exemption from the vehicle importation tax that would otherwise be applicable.
Even then it's still an administrative total PITA, but it would save quite a big chunk of money compared to doing it later.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheNomad For This Useful Post:
MyGalSal (11-03-2016)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 19:13 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Bürstner City Car C540
We are still looking, and still considering, the best way forward. I am grateful for the many, informative, sensible replies with the legal aspects that I have had. As soon as I mentioned to my son that we are finally contemplating taking the step he is on the case - full on! He has been trying to persuade us for years. In fact he has just emailed me the necessary information and forms etc. it just remains the question of the van. How I wish we had chosen LHD. Being a Hymer, our van is German so would no doubt fit in all other areas.

Obviously the easy answer would be to sell and buy Spanish. Last year the Hymer dealer in Vic had a van for sale that was identical spec to ours so we will tKe a look around and see what we can find.

Thanks everyone.

Sal

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page