Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Laptop security

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  cavs 
#1 ·
I have AVG on my laptop which an in a recent Computer Active Mag: there is an article on ineffective security guards, bottom was 'bullguard' next up was AVG. In a test done by said mag of 100 tests they threw at them they missed 8, and in their opinion that's not good enough to keep your computer safe!They advise (of the free ones, ) Avast has produced best results over the last 3 years.
Why I bring this subject up is that I have experienced a popup on opening the laptop from PC adviser for fixing problems -"download now", this come from Microsoft Partner. I seem to remember reading this was nothing to do with Microsoft itself.
Wendy:serious:

#2 ·
Within reason most of the security programmes come and go like the tide.
Avast has been the 'best' free one for some time now.
Change if you wish and also do a scan with your chosen programme every month or two.
Any advert/programme that says 'Download Now' is to be deleted and/or completely ignored!:wink2:

It's highly recommended that the u/m programme is installed and run occasionally. Go to downloads and get the free domestic version.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

I use a paid for suite that keeps our PCs free from problems.

HTH.

#3 ·
We ditched AVG years ago, as it seemed to use up too many resources, we now run the Avast free version, and some malware detectors.

Main thing is stay off dodgy sites and don't open emails you didn't expect from people you don't know, and never open attachements even if you do, unless you were expecting some or the are mentioned in the email.

Reactions: greygit and mcpezza
#4 ·
After chatting with a pal who has Ben involved with IT for a long time I asked for his view on anti-virus software.

His advice was Kaspersky, not free but I got a deal around Xmas time, a years protection for £19.

I do all of my banking online and the clever thing Kaspersky has is a "virtual keyboard" for inputting information into banking and similar sites. That means that even if a virus has installed a keyboard logger onto your commuter it will be unable to capture your keystrokes as you use your mouse to click on the various keys on the virtual keyboard.

£19 is a worthwhile,investment to keep my hard earned as safe as possible.

Andy

Reactions: cabby
#5 ·
Microsoft Security Essentials is not only free but more than adequate for most people's needs. Microsoft has a vested interest in making sure that MSE works well and generally it does. So saying it has been slowing down one of my W10 PC's as it "kick starts" an application called Runtime Broker that slows the PC down. I'm about to remove MSE and replace it with Avast on that particular machine.

#8 ·
Pop-ups that say Flash Player needs updating are a nuisance and if you click on them they'll either open another window or possibly download something that you would rather not have. You should be able to ignore these pop-ups or if not close them by looking for a little x somewhere within it. In any event do not open them or download anything.

#10 ·
Computer Active Mag has actively promoted Kaspersky for years. There has to be some financial link here.
I did change from AVG to Avast when upgrading (questionable) this Win 8 Netbook to Win 10. But only to keep Win 10 happy.
But I am sticking with AVG on two other Win 7 PCs.

Ray.

#11 ·
I get Kaspersky for up to three PC and the mobile version free from my bank. As they are probably thinking of protecting their money I don't think they would offer it if it didn't work.

Reactions: raynipper
#12 ·
My bank offers a free download of Trusteer which can be used to protect any site, anti key logging etc, you visit regularly. With that and free Avast, never hsd a problem.

#14 ·
You might like to know that Sophos, which has always made available the OS X version of their AV to home users for free is now doing the same for the poor Windows users too.

When I retired I was managing a 1500 user, 500 PC, multiple Windows server college network, and had been doing so for 15 years. Sophos was always the principle defence. Didn't have a single infection, ever - but Sophos would be trapping hundreds per day.
Every University in the country uses it too - give it a try.

#15 ·
#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.