How warm is you MH in winter - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 29-11-2015, 18:34

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Well we sleep with all windows open

Bedroom for us
Other for the hound

A bit chilly in the morning

But I kick him out to put on the heating before crawling back into bed for half an hour

The hound continues to sleep

Aldra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 29-11-2015, 18:50

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,066 Times in 925 Posts
Personal Aire
Your van sounds like it should have grade 3 insulation Jan and should be warm enough. Swift make the same claim about our Aging Kontiki being able to maintain 20c when its -15 outside and I have put it to the test several times with the lowest temp wild camping on New Years eve a few years ago being -17c. Warm and toasty we were so is the heating up to the job? Our Carver fire is superb but it eats Gas. I reckon we can do 3 litres plus a day in winter. If on hookup I have a 2KW silent convector heater from Argos (£20) with three settings. 750w, 1.2KW and 2KW. Its as effective as the gas fire and can warm the van in any temperature. Our van is semi winterised with a double floor at the back, internal water tank but it has the same draughts yours probably has, especially around the fridge and kitchen. I made my own fridge vents covers last Christmas to rectify this but a Donkey ate them.

Try a Convector heater like ours and if its warm and toasty maybe you need to look at your gas heating system. You should be able to sit around in a T shirt really.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 29-11-2015, 18:54

My Motorhome: Burstner I709G
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Your van sounds like it should have grade 3 insulation Jan and should be warm enough. Swift make the same claim about our Aging Kontiki being able to maintain 20c when its -15 outside and I have put it to the test several times with the lowest temp wild camping on New Years eve a few years ago being -17c. Warm and toasty we were so is the heating up to the job? Our Carver fire is superb but it eats Gas. I reckon we can do 3 litres plus a day in winter. If on hookup I have a 2KW silent convector heater from Argos (£20) with three settings. 750w, 1.2KW and 2KW. Its as effective as the gas fire and can warm the van in any temperature. Our van is semi winterised with a double floor at the back, internal water tank but it has the same draughts yours probably has, especially around the fridge and kitchen. I made my own fridge vents covers last Christmas to rectify this but a Donkey ate them.

Try a Convector heater like ours and if its warm and toasty maybe you need to look at your gas heating system. You should be able to sit around in a T shirt really.
That will teach you to make them out of cardboard you tight ***

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 29-11-2015, 18:56 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Sandra, your not talking about sleeping in minus temperatures are you?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<
Our motorhome is a substitute home from home, the temp in our house is a constant 22° plus, the motorhome must be comfortably warm otherwise we are not at home. We will continue to work on eradicating cold spots.

We are basically wild campers so gas heating only.

Just seen your post Barry, so your home, welcome back.
Hans is envious of your onboard tank, is it baffled he asks?
Your talking about being on hook up, we are not likely to be.
All these cold spots are where there is no insulation, the door well for instance is only a thin skin of steel and plastic. The cab being a Ducato delivery van without any insulation.
Our curtain makes an enormous difference, but we intend to improve on that as well.
Jan

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.

Last edited by JanHank; 29-11-2015 at 19:09.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 29-11-2015, 19:04

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Delawaredandy

Don't forget that the cab area is not designed to be lived in!! Basically it's a van cab and has NO insulation as its not needed in a van. So the first problem is the huge area of glass that is a lousy thermal barrier (quality silver screens required)

Next up are the doors, again no insulation whatsoever with no reasonable means of installing anyway. Another problem is the inbuilt ventilation that's present in the doors. Application of gaffer tape across the vents situated on the back edge works wonders.

We then come to the issue of draughts of which, in the two Autotrails I owned, were numerous. After a lot of trial and error I found most of them. Judicious use of expanding foam solved many of them. A bit of bubble wrap stuffed into the hole where the seat belts exit from is another worthwhile and cheap mod.

Finally an excellent means of locating where draughts are coming from is to use one of those twig type things that give off perfumed smoke (joss stick?) you can move the stick around and use the smoke to locate exactly where the problem is.

Having now changed to a caravan thankfully such things are no longer a problem (except around the fridge, but a thin bead of coloured silicone soon sorts that out.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 29-11-2015, 19:14 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Andy,
We still have our lovely Charisma caravan, Hans thinks he should put an engine on the A-frame and bugger the Navajo for winter use.
Jan

I'm Jan
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 29-11-2015, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by satco View Post
during nights not cooler than freezing level we often use an oil radiator (1000watts) provided
we`re hooked up. .

(another) Jan
This is what we do as well . The oil filled radiator provides a nice background heat.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 29-11-2015, 20:05
ob1

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 630
Agree with Jan that a thick curtain/blanket to divide the cab from the living area makes a huge difference. Doubled up with Silver Screens should eliminate any cold cab problems. A few people have also mentions hot water bottles to us recently and although we've never needed them they might suit some.

Ron
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 29-11-2015, 20:18 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
These silver screen covers, where would we store them, when they get wet where would we dry them, no room in the Navajo for such luxuries.
While away last week, night temp minus -3°C I tucked towels in the front and door windows which stopped quite a lot of condensation, next time we will try Andy´s (Mrplodds) remedy and open the cab door windows a tiny bit as well.
The living area is absolutely free of condensation with 2 adults and 2 dogs.
Jan

I'm Jan
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 29-11-2015, 20:23
ob1

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 630
If wet, it's into the gas locker for us. Without blocking the gas drop-out I hasten to add.

Ron

Last edited by ob1; 29-11-2015 at 20:30.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page