Motorhome Facts Forum banner

M20 Stop 24

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Stanner 
#1 ·
We are travelling back from France via the tunnel next Tuesday, 29 September.
We have booked for 11.50 but had problems when booked for a similar time when we returned in July.

Delays in France and then on the M20 due to stacking meant we eventually got to our home in Leicestershire at 23.00. Far too late.

I'm looking for an overnight stop close to the tunnel exit if we should come off the train late again and wondered if anyone had stopped off at The M20,Stop24.

Other suggestions would be considered.
Maidstone Services?

Turning up at a campsite late to be perhaps turned away isn't an option I would want to choose.

#2 ·
Have heard lots of bad comments about the site since they opened.
Pulled in there on our return a few weeks ago out of curiosity!
The first set of 'caravan' bays were unusable...they were normal 'car' sized and the other bays were full of none caravans.
We simply drove on but someone else may know different?:wink2:

#3 ·
I stopped there overnight about a month ago for the 24 hour fee of £20 payable by machine in the building. They allow caravan and motorhome overnight parking at the service area behind the shops i.e. as you enter the parking area turn left up the service road. We had no problems at all and as it suited us the £20 was acceptable

#5 ·
Maidstone services won't be great overnight if you go in the allocated bays as you will circled by cars in and out at night best to go over the side by the Premier Inn and tuck yourself away there
Stop 24 overblown noisy and not very good. Shame on UK yet again for rubbish facilities. Don't know why you don't overnight in France and cross to UK in morning that's what lots of us here do as there's no shortage of good places to stop in France despite current problems.

#7 ·
Not sure your post was for us but:
Travelling back to the UK we overnight at the autoroute aire Baie de Somme.
Comfortable distance from Eurotunnel for a 11.30 (approx.) morning Train.

#9 ·
We stayed at Cite Europe last Tuesday night and saw not a single immigrant there. Plenty in the town and along the roads however.

I quizzed a couple of police and they said there's nothing to worry about as the immigrants very rarely target motorhomes because they know they will be caught.

There were 11 other vans there at the same time.

Dave

#12 · (Edited)
Pay attention chaps, the OP made it clear that he wants to overnight this side of the tunnel. I agree with Cabby, contact the CC site at Folkstone if you are a member. They cater for the late ferries, I just don't know how late if there even is a limit.

#15 ·
Who the hell wants to park for the night before/after crossing the channel on the English side, when the options in France are so wide :confused:

tony

#16 ·
Who the hell wants to park for the night before/after crossing the channel on the English side, when the options in France are so wide :confused:

tony
I agree, Tony.
We try to cross in the morning between 11.00 and 12.00 as we have about a four hour journey home.

However, if as last time our train is delayed and we end up arriving in England at 6 o'clock or so it means we might get home around 11pm. Bearing this in mind we are investigating an overnight stop somewhere near the tunnel to set off again early the next morning.

Apart from the additional stress of motorway driving at night, a motorhome arriving late at night having to be backed onto the drive and partly emptied doesn't endear oneself to the neighbours sleeping at the front of their bungalow.:frown2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.