7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-09-2015, 19:51

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJP View Post
t
The car park is next to the HQ for the national Police HQ who are in and out 24hrs but don't seem to bother about immigrants camping out sometimes in the bushes next to them????
When we came back last Thursday morning on the 7.50 train there was no sign of immigrants on the approach roads and there were motorhomes who appeared to have overnighted at Cite Europe. There were three young men who were going from vehicle to vehicle in the over height vehicle lane at the waiting area directly before you load. They checked the back door of a box body vehicle. They hid behind the drink machine in the bushes when not trying to get in vehicles and appeared to be ignored by security staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-09-2015, 21:50
ob1

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 630
Pay attention chaps, the OP made it clear that he wants to overnight this side of the tunnel. I agree with Cabby, contact the CC site at Folkstone if you are a member. They cater for the late ferries, I just don't know how late if there even is a limit.

Last edited by ob1; 27-09-2015 at 21:52.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-09-2015, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1 View Post
Pay attention chaps, the OP made it clear that he wants to overnight this side of the tunnel.
Errrmmmmm . . . . the OP signed himself "Gillian".

Who else needs to pay attention then!!!

Dave
ob1 and ob1 like this.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-09-2015, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1 View Post
Pay attention chaps, the OP made it clear that he wants to overnight this side of the tunnel. I agree with Cabby, contact the CC site at Folkstone if you are a member. They cater for the late ferries, I just don't know how late if there even is a limit.
Accepted but like many others will I was just suggesting that the OP should consider overnighting in France. There have been loads of people here before who seem to discount that when it is actually the best option.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-09-2015, 23:38

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
Who the hell wants to park for the night before/after crossing the channel on the English side, when the options in France are so wide

tony

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-09-2015, 09:44 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Elddis Autostratus EB
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMMY View Post
Who the hell wants to park for the night before/after crossing the channel on the English side, when the options in France are so wide

tony
I agree, Tony.
We try to cross in the morning between 11.00 and 12.00 as we have about a four hour journey home.

However, if as last time our train is delayed and we end up arriving in England at 6 o'clock or so it means we might get home around 11pm. Bearing this in mind we are investigating an overnight stop somewhere near the tunnel to set off again early the next morning.

Apart from the additional stress of motorway driving at night, a motorhome arriving late at night having to be backed onto the drive and partly emptied doesn't endear oneself to the neighbours sleeping at the front of their bungalow.

Gillian

I'm 84 now. Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, & complain. And most do.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
Bernard M. Baruch

Member since 2003
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-09-2015, 10:03

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
Hi Gillian,

Probably be too close to the original booking now but might be worth changing to an earlier crossing and staying at one of the many options close to Coquelles. We usually cross on the 0920 slot, depends on the cost to change of course, if any.

Pete
autostratus and autostratus like this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-09-2015, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMMY View Post
Who the hell wants to park for the night before/after crossing the channel on the English side, when the options in France are so wide tony
I also agree Tony, but only half way.

We certainly much prefer to wake up in France, and set off straight away on our holiday. We don't like wasting most of the morning on the crossing. When you've done it few (dozen!) times it's always a bit of a time-wasting chore - even on the Tunnel!

Coming back though, I can see why those who have a long journey home would apply the same logic. Wake up in England and have all day to get there.

As always, it all depends on personal circumstances and preferences.

Dave
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-09-2015, 12:12

My Motorhome: Adria vision I707SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by autostratus View Post
Apart from the additional stress of motorway driving at night, a motorhome arriving late at night having to be backed onto the drive and partly emptied doesn't endear oneself to the neighbours sleeping at the front of their bungalow.
now that I find difficult to get my head around! I much prefer driving late at night than daytime on any motorway, I travel frequently to Scotland from Kent and usually set off about 2100. get four or five hours under my belt them pull of motorway for a sleep, next day a easy run without London/ Birmingham /Manchester traffic to worry about, but perhaps that's just me!

Now reitired thank god , looking forward to flying when the weather is good or motorhoming when it´s not, just like to get away from it all now I can take it easy.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-09-2015, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh View Post
now that I find difficult to get my head around! I much prefer driving late at night than daytime on any motorway, I travel frequently to Scotland from Kent and usually set off about 2100. get four or five hours under my belt them pull of motorway for a sleep, next day a easy run without London/ Birmingham /Manchester traffic to worry about, but perhaps that's just me!
Exactly - "stress" at night is as nothing compared to during the day when all the idiots are on the road.

Night and cruise control - nothing like it for eating up the miles. Not only that but the air is cooler and that helps efficiency and thus MPG.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page