Probably the wrong forum but help needed! - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 10:05 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Nuevo
Personal Aire
Probably the wrong forum but help needed!

Wasn't sure where to post this.

Like all good paranoid motorhomers I like to take reasonable security precautions. One thing I have always done when visiting supermarkets particularly Cite Europe at Coquelles is to set the alarms and also thread a chain through the steering wheel and other points in the van connected with a good padlock.
A strange thing happened a couple of weeks ago when visiting a supermarket somewhere in France I tried to close the padlock (a combination type, picture hopefully attached) but it was fixed in the open position and nothing I could do would close it.
Somehow I had altered the combination and also mislaid the instructions (clever boy I hear you say). I spent some pleasant evenings with a glass of wine and a book fiddling with this lock trying to solve the puzzle. Eventually, I know not how, it closed displaying a changed combination code which I am now using.
The question is does anyone how any knowledge of these type of locks and how one can change or reset the code. It is a Master Lock and all their websites refer to locks that require some kind of probe to change the code. This does not have any orifices to insert a probe and I know there was not one with the lock.
Has anyone any brilliant ideas as I know I am sure to change this code again inadvertently.
No! I don't want to buy another as this is a very substantial lock. Picture attached shows the size against my sigma alarm fob.

Terry

Last edited by teljoy; 22-11-2016 at 09:09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 10:22

Interesting Terry.

I know you don't want to buy another lock, but our local locksmith doesn't rate them at all. He can get into almost any one in moments, and if he knows the secret you can bet the scrotes do too.

He always recommends a good key lock with a very tight and shrouded shackle, so the villains can't easily get their pocket sized bolt croppers onto it. Something like one of these. http://tiny.cc/hic4zx

Don't know if this is any help, but in case you have another senior moment () the spare key could be hidden somewhere in or under the van.

Regards

Dave
teljoy and teljoy like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thanks Dave , always helpful,

The one you show in your link is probably not suitable as I usually feed three links of the chain through the padlock and the space available does not look big enough. However it looks as though I may have to look again particularly regarding your comment about the shrouded shackle. I am only using it as a deterrent as the lock and the chain links are in full view close to the steering wheel.

Ta,
Terry

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 10:47

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
On some of them you can feel the "teeth" fall into place when revolving the drums and pulling the swivelling bar out. Failing that you could start going through the 10000 combinations.
A junior hacksaw will go through the bar in a few seconds once it breaks through the thin hardened surface as it's just mild steel underneath.

Cheers
Bill
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 22-08-2015, 22:24

I could be wrong but I think the problem was closing the padlock in the open position if you know what I mean.
I have had the same problem and I managed to fix it but I can't remember how I did it.

Open the padlock so it is as wide open as it can be, then put your code in and shut the padlock in the wide open position, I think that is what I did.

-
Biglol
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-08-2015, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
He always recommends a good key lock with a very tight and shrouded shackle, so the villains can't easily get their pocket sized bolt croppers onto it.
Good advice, but, unless you are also using purpose designed (hardened) security chains (the type used for securing motorcycles), the padlock won't be the weakest link, the chain will be.

For Terry's application (inside the motorhome), it's probably less of an issue?

Ian
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-08-2015, 08:24

This might help?

In the open position:

Either push the two pieces together and alter the code:

Or pull the two pieces apart and alter the code.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-08-2015, 08:47 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglol View Post
I could be wrong but I think the problem was closing the padlock in the open position if you know what I mean.
I have had the same problem and I managed to fix it but I can't remember how I did it.

Open the padlock so it is as wide open as it can be, then put your code in and shut the padlock in the wide open position, I think that is what I did.
Thanks to all
This issue is now resolved. Biglol, I also don't know how I resolved it but it is now OK. Probably used your method without knowing.

Terry

Teljoy
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-08-2015, 09:48

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quit being so paranoid about preventing your vehicle being stolen!!!! The odds are so remote as to be ignored!!!

A far more likely scenario is theft FROM rather than OF your MH. Invest in a decent sized and quality safe and secure it to something solid and metal. I have always fitted a decent safe in all my leisure vehicles and put my trust in the manufacturers security measures such as steering lock and immobiliser.

These days it is VERY difficult (but not impossible) to steal a vehicle, especially something the size of a MH. It CAN be done but just ask yourself what the chances are of it being yours. You are something like 1000 times more likely to killed by a rampaging elephant!!!

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-08-2015, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
You are something like 1000 times more likely to killed by a rampaging elephant!!!
Andy
Hell's teeth Andy - stop scaring the Newbies!!!!!

As if gassing wasn't enough to terrify them, they now have to watch out for pugnacious pachyderms!!!

Dave
747 and 747 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page