Road tax refund - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2014, 10:32 Thread Starter

Road tax refund

Does anybody know how you get a refund of road tax now. I want to sorn my car while we are away.

I have got a old paper version of the reclaim form but is there an on line version now, do you get an automatic refund if you sorn the the car.

I have been looking and can find no details on how to do it now.

Confused.com

Andy

There are no typing, spelling, or grammatical errors in my post. What you are seeing is the evolution of the English language in action.
This post may be unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs,if you are please disregard the above post. Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2014, 10:41 Thread Starter

Just got this email which answers my question and it may help others.

Andy

From the 1st October 2014, the keeper of the vehicle will no longer need to apply for a refund.

A refund will be issued automatically to the current or previous keeper when the DVLA have been notified of a change to the vehicle record.

The following notifications will issue a refund:

•vehicle has been sold or transferred
•vehicle has been scrapped at an Authorised Treatment Facility
•vehicle has been exported
•vehicle has been removed from the road and a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) has been made
•change of tax class on the vehicle to an exempt duty tax class

DVLA will issue a refund for any complete remaining months of your vehicle tax by post within 6 weeks (if applicable).

To notify that your vehicle has been sold, transferred or exported you should complete and return the relevant part of the V5C Registration Certificate. If you do not have the V5C you should write to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA. The letter should include:
• vehicle registration number

• make/model

• date of sale

• who the vehicle has been sold to
•a signature
To make a SORN you can apply online at www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn using your V5C registration certificate. Alternatively you can complete and send form V890, which is available at www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn.

This is a system generated response to your email enquiry. Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai..._vehicles.html

If you have an additional enquiry then please use the appropriate form by clicking here or by copying and pasting the following URL into your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai.../en/index.html

When filling in the reply form the email reference number 2468891 will be required.

Further information can also be found at www.gov.uk/browse/driving

Regards

DVLA Contact Centre

There are no typing, spelling, or grammatical errors in my post. What you are seeing is the evolution of the English language in action.
This post may be unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs,if you are please disregard the above post. Andy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2014, 10:52 Thread Starter

Further update

If you want to sorn your car etc for next month then you have to post it as it will not let you select a date. I have just tried and it back dates the application to the October 1.

Andy

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2014, 10:57

Location: Summer - Overton, Hampshire: Winter - La Manga, Spain
My Motorhome: Eura Mobil Integra 810 HB-L is sold and gone. Hobby 650 Prestige caravan for Winters in Spain
This all an official scam so that DVL whatever they are calling themselves now gets to keep the RT for the difference in the overlapping month that the change is made

If you sell half way through and notify immediately, you will get a refund from the start of the ollowing month but buyer will have to tax from beginning of current month.

Looks like a scam

Smells like a scam

It is a SCAM

Cheers

Dave
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2014, 11:05

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
"Just got this email which answers my question and it may help others. "

Andy thanks for that.

I note that they do not say that the information is available on the website, so maybe it is not. If not, why not?

It seems like another bit of evidence that the orgaisation is not fit for purpose.

Geoff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2014, 11:22 Thread Starter

I agree the web site lack the right information if the had put that email on the site it would make it clear.

Also it is bad that you cannot do it in advance on the web site another backward step.

It is also going to mean a lot of sales going though at the end of the month for a lot of people.

I suppose it is now an owners tax not a car tax as it can not be pasted on.

Andy

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2014, 12:24

My Motorhome: Elddis Autostratus EB
Personal Aire
Used car dealers will feel the pinch as there won't be an income from all the car discs they cash in when they take a car in part exchange.

Gillian

I'm 84 now. Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, & complain. And most do.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
Bernard M. Baruch

Member since 2003
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2014, 12:30

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autostratus
Used car dealers will feel the pinch as there won't be an income from all the car discs they cash in when they take a car in part exchange.
I would have thought most sellers to dealers would claim back the unused period of the VED themselves. I am sure I did in the past.

Geoff
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2014, 12:42

My Motorhome: Hymer B644
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDave
This all an official scam so that DVL whatever they are calling themselves now gets to keep the RT for the difference in the overlapping month that the change is made

If you sell half way through and notify immediately, you will get a refund from the start of the ollowing month but buyer will have to tax from beginning of current month.

Looks like a scam

Smells like a scam

It is a SCAM

Cheers

Dave
This is true Dave,
I have just sold a car and sent back the V5 document to Swansea.I will now get a refund from the end of october.The new keeper applied to tax the vehicle before collection and had to start it from the beginning of october,this means that 2 people have paid the road tax for the month of october.
It's not a huge amount for me in the grand scheme of things but multiply it by the thousands of cars that are sold every month and DVLA are onto a good little earner.

cheers Steve
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-10-2014, 00:46

I have recently SORN'd my van on line and it was easy... It did say that the date was backdated to 1st October which made me hopeful for an extra months refund, but five days later I received a cheque for one month (November) .. Oh well, at least it was quick and easy and I have the refund I first expected

K

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page