Renewal Medical for Class C1 at or beyond age 70 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 29-04-2014, 13:47 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Renewal Medical for Class C1 at or beyond age 70

I enquired of DVLA about renewing my licence before the 2nd renewal date at age 73. My reason was that I wanted to do the D4 Medical in UK at a date to suit me, which would have been more than 4 months before my renewal is due.

DVLA initially answered that they MAY consider the application.

I wrote for a more definitive answer and received this reply:-

"Providing DVLA receive the D4 medical within 4 months of your doctor signing it, it will remain valid for 12 months on our system. If another application is made within that period, the original D4 medical can be used."

From the wording I take this to be their general rule and not specific to my request.

This effectively extends the validity period beyond the 4 months stated on the website and form.

I am not sure if you could submit the signed D4 form at 3.5 months and then get another 12 months validity. It might be safer to assume 12 months from date of doctor signing.

This info might be useful for other long-term travellers.
Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 29-04-2014, 20:58

Hi Geoff,
1 year from doctors appointment to complete your D4.
After the year is up the D4 is still okay but you have to complete another D2.

A month before I reached 70 I completed the D4 but due to doctor errors it was 7 months before the correct D4 reached Swansea.
Then the hospital cocked up even more which resulted in the DVLA requesting another D2 after 1 year.
In all it took 19 months to receive my C1 which enabled me to drive for 4 years and 6 months before my next D4 was due.

Now 74 plus I posted of my next application two weeks past and hope for less problems this time.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 30-04-2014, 07:27 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Bob

Yes I was aware that I should leave completing the D2 till nearer the renewal date. Now I have established that the D4 will be still valid that is no problem as I can post it from anywhere.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page