Motorhome Facts Forum banner

MMM magazine

6K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  mikebeaches 
#1 ·
Sorry folks - have to vent me spleen here.....

Bought the latest copy of the above - for the first time in over 4 years - wish I hadnt bothered!!!!!

What a waste of 4 quid!!!

Over 50% of the mag is adverts - and the rest is drivel......

I used to 'know' the writers and contributors - I had read other of their work elsewhere - but this lot? Never heard of them!!

And some of the photographs leave a lot to be desired....

Where are all the reviews / tech / stuff like that about the vans themselves?

Sorry for going on, but this mag used to be someway enjoyable.....

Not any more......that will be the last copy I buy.

Carl

PS - And yes, I will drop a line to the 'Editor' telling them such....

See less See more
#3 ·
I only buy it if I think their will be an informative article in or their is a review of a motorhome I am interested in.

They have just(MMM), last week, published another monthly magazine dedicated to camper vans and PVC's, I would agree with you £4 is expensive.

Paul.

#4 ·
I used to buy it when in UK but the odd copy I have seen recently the makes me realise why I do not miss it now.

With all that advertising one would think there is enough revenue to keep the price down. If 4 quid and poor copy starts to put people off it will not be long before the advertisers start de-camping [inadvertent pun]

Geoff

#8 ·
adonisito said:
Where are all the reviews / tech / stuff like that about the vans themselves?

There are 22 pages entitled "Tested" and 14 pages entitled "Technical" in the May issue. But I do agree there are a LOT of ads considering the price. Some of the letters can be amusing though !
Out of a magazine of 290 pages, that is a pretty poor ratio......

While some may counter with the argument that there are quite a number of pages given over to travelogues / destinations etc., I feel that these, after reading them, can be covered by any general travel magazine.

MMM is supposed to be Motorhome specific........

Carl

PS - Is it me, or have the number of vans for sale in the back reduced considerably??? Not that we are in the market you understand - but it is generally a pointer to the state of the hobby.....

#12 ·
I have a subscription to MMM that my lovely daughter bought me for my birthday last year, but I am not finding enough interesting articles to renew it when it runs out.

Most of the articles and reviews are now sent in by readers, which is OK, but appears very biased. Would you send in an article on a bad campsite or a Motorhome you hated?

I like reading unbiased reports done by people with no axe to grind either way, and as has been said, more technical / practical features too.

#13 ·
goldi said:
Morning folks,

Is there abig difference between a campervan and a motorhome ?

norm
Norm

In my mind there always has been, but you have got me thinking as to how one would draw the line.

At one end of the scale are the original(?) 'campervans' the VW combis, which were camping on wheels.

At the other end there are large MH/RV category, which are 'Motorhomes'

Where is the dividing line?

I tried to do it and gave up - partly because of the difference between campsiters and wildcampers - what is a motorhome for one is a camper for the other

Geoff

#15 ·
You think MMM is bad value for money, try reading the caravan mags, even worse. At least with MMM, you get a lot more pages and articles for your money when compared to the tin tent mags.

Personally, I like MMM and much prefer it over Practical Motorhome.

#16 ·
Mike48 said:
goldi said:
Morning folks,

norm
A masssive difference. A motorhome has damp issues and often leaks like a sieve and a campervan doesn't. :wink:
Mike

So a LWB PCV with a shower etc. which could be lived in all year (subject to space for summer/winter clothes etc.) cannot be a 'motorhome' because it does not have 'damp issues'?

Please tell me you are taking the p*ss. :wink: :lol:

Geoff

#17 ·
nicholsong said:
Mike48 said:
goldi said:
Morning folks,

norm
A masssive difference. A motorhome has damp issues and often leaks like a sieve and a campervan doesn't. :wink:
Mike

So a LWB PCV with a shower etc. which could be lived in all year (subject to space for summer/winter clothes etc.) cannot be a 'motorhome' because it does not have 'damp issues'?

Geoff
That's why I winked.

#18 ·
nicholsong said:
Mike48 said:
goldi said:
Morning folks,

norm
Mike

Geoff
He must be as years ago we had an Autosleeper Rambler on a MKII Ducato PCV......it leaked like a sieve!!!!!! Over the windscreen, through the hi=top windows, through the side windows......everywhere!!!

Whereas our AT Cheyenne is bone dry..........Does that make our 28' coachbuilt Cheyenne a PCV???

#21 ·
I had a few articles printed about our extended trip through Europe and then sent another one in which was accepted. A few weeks later they had a change of editor who rejected it. He said was only going to have 'in-house journalists' and needed professional photos so I and other 'amateur' contributors weren't needed any more.
What I liked about MMM was that the contributors were experienced m'homers - doesn't sound like ti is like that now.

#22 ·
MMM

I don't think £4.00 is out of the way if it was a quality Magazine.

The problem is, the Advertising is sold and administered by proffesionals as expected.

The editorial is administered by unqualified people,I doubt they have a qualified staff, it appears to be all contributed.

#23 ·
StephandJohn said:
I had a few articles printed about our extended trip through Europe and then sent another one in which was accepted. A few weeks later they had a change of editor who rejected it. He said was only going to have 'in-house journalists' and needed professional photos so I and other 'amateur' contributors weren't needed any more.
What I liked about MMM was that the contributors were experienced m'homers - doesn't sound like ti is like that now.
THAT is what I was trying to get at!!!!

You have hit the nail on the head........

#25 ·
I haven't bought an MMM since Andy Stothard stopped writing for them,I suppose when you buy your first van you want to get as much info as you can and the magazines are good for that but they are very biased,I remember all through judder gate with the early x250s none of the mags would dare even comment.

#26 ·
MMM Magazine

As a regular reader I find the editorial content is variable in quality but still OK. Like tyreman1 I miss Andy and *** Ash Lil.
Unlike some I like to see lots of adverts. They are often as good as the editorial copy at keeping readers up to date about new product, services etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.