Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Inflatable kayaks

27K views 282 replies 27 participants last post by  barryd 
#1 ·
Does anyone have one? Been wondering about putting one up in the overcab in case we get a summer this year, but I have no knowledge of these things and wouldn't want to buy an inflatable turkey by mistake.

It would need to carry 2 adults (in case I meet the girl of my dreams), or be adjustable for one man and his wee dog.

Thought I'd ask you lot, as you seem to have tried most things in life!:wink2:

#2 · (Edited)
Tuggy, before I trucked, I spent over 20 years selling pleasure boats and chandlery.
The best advice I can give, is buy a quality make.
Remember the old Avon, Zodiac and C Craft. Then remember the cheaper Campari>:)
I have seen a few people with the blow up and some do seem pretty good reasonable ridged so that they don't catch too much wind.

Reactions: tugboat
#3 ·
We have a Sevylor Coloroda and have been most impressed with it. It's reasonably easy to inflate if you use a decent pump and it handles pretty well in the water. You won't get quite the same performance as from a more streamlined rigid one (which we also have) but that's not what it's intended for. It folds up into a reasonably manageable size and fits into a carrying bag. The only thing to think about is drying it before putting it away. We've had to put it in the shower when travelling rather than fold it up wet and then dry it out subsequently.

#4 ·
Wouldnt you be better off with just a mattress in the overcab? If you do meet the girl of your dreams she might think you're a bit wierd if you invite her up for "coffee in my kayak":wink2:. Talking of which puts me in mind of that old joke:- "What is the similarity between a pint of Whitbreads and making love in a canoe? They are both f***ing close to water:grin2: Hey ho, off to take me tablets..................

#7 ·
Mr T has a yearning to buy a canoe (canadian?) but not the inflatable type, he says he will carry it on the roof of the van, I hope he doesnt expect me to help him get it up there!

I've been keeping an eye out on ebay but even the old second hand ones with holes in are expensive!

#9 · (Edited)
Ive been wanting one of these for a while as well but have no idea what to buy. Peribro, the Sevylor Coloroda you have, are the back rests pretty firm and is there plenty of leg room? With my Arthritic knees I think I would occasionally need to stretch them out and it looks a bit small to me.

The other thing that concerns me is that I am 16 and half stone and Mrs D is just 8 stone. Will we be sinking at one end? I also suspect Ill spend a lot of time out in it on my own so can you adjust the seats to be central?

If Tuggers gets one I want a better one. :D

I think you need a Skeg! Or is it a keg? (of Leffe)

EDIT: It needs the go on the back of the scooter as well, including oars and pump. Possible?

#12 ·
Ive been wanting one of these for a while as well but have no idea what to buy. Peribro, the Sevylor Coloroda you have, are the back rests pretty firm and is there plenty of leg room? With my Arthritic knees I think I would occasionally need to stretch them out and it looks a bit small to me.

The other thing that concerns me is that I am 16 and half stone and Mrs D is just 8 stone. Will we be sinking at one end? I also suspect Ill spend a lot of time out in it on my own so can you adjust the seats to be central?

If Tuggers gets one I want a better one. :D

I think you need a Skeg! Or is it a keg? (of Leffe)

EDIT: It needs the go on the back of the scooter as well, including oars and pump. Possible?
Pah! In yer dreams, pal. You'd need one the size of a submarine to keep your lardy butt afloat.

I like the idea of sticking it on the back of the scoot though. Now, if I can just sort out how to carry Ellie on the scoot too. And the fishing gear. And the picnic. And the beer. Oh dear!:drinking:

#11 ·
Go Outdoors sell the Sevylor brand andthey have a bit of a sale on atm, which is what stimulated me to post now.

I had thought the fact they were double layered (the air bladders inside a protective cover) would be a good idea, but Kev's advice has put me all at sea (that's a nautical expression, folks:rolleyes::laugh:).

I'll give the Paignton place a ring and see if they have any display stuff.

#13 ·
Tuggers

Your thread has got me thinking about one again, so I shall be following with interest - especially if you can post links to the specs of any you find.

I am not sure if I could persuade Basia to get waterborne after our first night cruising where the wind swung and we dragged anchor in a small cove in Greece - she did not understand the logic of 'we are better of out at sea' as I did not have time to explain it while starting the engine and manual-hauling the anchor.

To her credit she did not scream, but expressed 'unease' when 1/2 hour later I went below to make coffees. However she enjoyed the rest of the 10 days - especially the marinated octopus in Gerakas and the bay in Kiparissi with its dramatic 3000' mountain backdrop. I wonder what the equivalent experiences are in a Kayak - all comments are welcome, but descriptions of being alone sunbathing in the middle of a lake in the 'Yellow Peril' need not be repeated:wink2:

Geoff

#17 ·
Hmm, the Paignton outfit that do the Gumotex kayaks say that these are not available to view anywhere before buying. Apparently they rely on a 30 day no quibble returns policy. Not sure I'd be happy to do that.

At least with the Sevylors, you can go and sit in the things in a showroom not far from you.

Something that occurs to me.............does having the inflated tubes on either side of you make for an awkward paddling action, i.e. having to keep your hands uncomfortably high up? I notice some boats have an inflated seat cushion to raise you up, but presumably that has stability consequences.

#19 ·
Hmm, the Paignton outfit that do the Gumotex kayaks say that these are not available to view anywhere before buying. Apparently they rely on a 30 day no quibble returns policy. Not sure I'd be happy to do that.

At least with the Sevylors, you can go and sit in the things in a showroom not far from you.

Something that occurs to me.............does having the inflated tubes on either side of you make for an awkward paddling action, i.e. having to keep your hands uncomfortably high up? I notice some boats have an inflated seat cushion to raise you up, but presumably that has stability consequences.
Hmm. They do look pretty wide. Maybe Pete or somebody who uses one can comment.

Can you go and see them at Go Outdoors?

#18 ·
We fancied an inflatable so bought a cheap Lidl one to try it out. It was difficult to steer and it bent in the middle - very little rigidity no matter how hard you pumped it up. What it did do was convince us that we liked canoeing.
We then bought a better one from Decathalon, a Tribord, I think it cost about ÂŁ300 which was similar to the Sevlor model they stock. It has a woven outer skin over the air bags. It seems much stiffer and handles well. We used it on an assortment of Italian lakes and the Adriatic to good effect last summer.
There is a lot of adjustment fore and aft (thats a nautical term I believe....) in the positioning of the seats so you should be able to achieve some sort of balance Barry!
The seats attach to the floor with velcro but also the backrest attaches to the sides with adjustable webbing so you can get as much tension as you like into the backrests. I was still comfortable after a couple of hours in it wheras half an hour in a kayak and I get backache.

Attachments

#23 ·
We fancied an inflatable so bought a cheap Lidl one to try it out. It was difficult to steer and it bent in the middle - very little rigidity no matter how hard you pumped it up. What it did do was convince us that we liked canoeing.
We then bought a better one from Decathalon, a Tribord, I think it cost about ÂŁ300 which was similar to the Sevlor model they stock. It has a woven outer skin over the air bags. It seems much stiffer and handles well. We used it on an assortment of Italian lakes and the Adriatic to good effect last summer.
There is a lot of adjustment fore and aft (thats a nautical term I believe....) in the positioning of the seats so you should be able to achieve some sort of balance Barry!
The seats attach to the floor with velcro but also the backrest attaches to the sides with adjustable webbing so you can get as much tension as you like into the backrests. I was still comfortable after a couple of hours in it wheras half an hour in a kayak and I get backache.
Oh, I love sailory speak!

Pete, you are clearly much too low for comfort in that first pic, and the Tribord seems to have substantial raised seats that give you a much higher and more comfortable position. It looks good and beamy too (sorry!):p

I really appreciate you posting the pics. Does the tribord have a removable skeg to aid tracking through the water?

#21 ·
We didn't have a problem paddling with Kayak paddles (double blade) other than the usual one of keeping both paddlers synchronised.
I haven't tried with a proper Canoe paddle (single blade) yet.
Our seats are inflatable and didn't feel to make the boat unstable. You can see the seat on the third picture above, and the webbing straps that support the backrest.
I've no idea why the picture is on it's side, it is the right way up on facebook where I downloaded it from!

#22 ·
I contacted Go Outdoors in Stockton Tuggers as I thought I would go and sit in one. They dont have them on display, just in the boxes. Maybe they have more sense in Devon I dont know and you can try one.

There must be somewhere you can go and have a look at one.

#27 · (Edited)
A couple of points for info

I assume one does need some sort of seat to keep one's bum off what could be a very cold hull in a stream fed by snow-melt water.

I also assume none of them can be rolled upright in the event of a capsize - so are there quick-release straps or does one not strap in for safety?

Are spray covers available?

Are any approved for sea use? - the Tribord looks as though it would easily be rolled over in any slight beam sea, if one were stupid enough to get beam-on(nautical), because of the high CofG.

Geoff

P.S. Why do I always think that Brummie accents make people sound like numpties - even before they pass an oncoming vessel starboard-to-starboard:laugh:

#28 ·
Many terms have been used over the years to describe the size of my ass but good and beamy is a first ! ;-)

The tribord has three small skegs that clip into mouldings on the underside (best done before you pump it up)

I don't think Decathalon havve made it to the south west Tuggers, but there's one in Gateshead Barry, and they're likely to have one on display that you can sit in. I overguestimated the price, a snip at ÂŁ230

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/itiwit-inflatable-kayak-3-man-orange--id_8307032.html

#30 ·
Thanks Pete.

I found that earlier but what I did notice in the reviews was there appears to be a few where the Skeg has fallen off and Decathlon have not been very helpful according to one review. Im sure yours is fine though and it looks ideal.

It also looks like Sevylor have replaced the Colorado with the Madison. There is a kit here. http://www.outdoorcampingdirect.uk/sevylor-madison-kit.html It must be quite new as I cannot find any reviews.

That includes the two oars which you want to watch out for if buying separate as they are at least ÂŁ60 for two.

A couple of points for info

I assume one does need some sort of seat to keep one's bum off what could be a very cold hull in a stream fed by snow-melt water.

I also assume none of them can be rolled upright in the event of a capsize - so are there quick-release straps or does one not strap in for safety?
:laugh:
They have seats which you can move and adjust I believe.

As for rolling them upright if you capsize I would imagine thats quite easy, getting back in again is another thing.

I found that if I fell, jumped or was pushed out of the dinghy I couldnt get back in again. Probably not a problem if your a lightweight.

The answer to avoid certain death if your miles from the shore is to carry a lilo. Yes! You then climb onto the lilo and then into the dinghy!! :D And people say Im stupid!

#32 ·
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/new-ck100-detachable-paddle-id_8336164.html

ÂŁ50 for the paddles - that's probably where I got the ÂŁ300 guestimate from. We also bought a couple of boyancy aids a while later - another ÂŁ60.

I've not tried capsizing it yet, we've only paddled on the flat so far so I don't know how easy it will be to get back in. I'll try it when the weather is warmer!

It did feel very stable though, even in a slight swell on the sea. we could only just see over the top of the waves when we were in a trough, I don't think that counts as much of a swell.

#33 ·
That Decathlon is definitely the one for Barry, with a name like iTwit.>:)

If he can sit in one without bursting it, it should be OK for me. Needs to be claw-proof for Miss Ellie though. If anyone remembers the old heavy duty Lilos, that's the sort of fabric needed, really.

Last time I was at Go Outdoors in Plymouth, they had a Sevylor on display. I'll give a ring tomorrow a.m. and maybe take a trip down there.

#34 ·
I would be very happy to have one made of the same neoprene(?) lay-up that Avon use in their inflatable dinghies - I have had an Avon Rover 2.8 for 25+ years and it has been hauled up shingle beaches and over some quite rough quay surfaces. All I have had to replace is one inflation valve.

Geoff

#35 ·
thanks for the inputs.

Ive been looking at something easy to store with my rigid surf kayak as the double man item is just a bit too big for my garage and annoyingly heavy to get on the MH roof.

These seem good for gentle messing about on the beach and a lake with my boys.

Now i wonder if its better value getting the Decathlon stuff when i arrive in France ?

#38 · (Edited)
Just a couple of things to add to your shopping list Barry - partly serious and partly humorous....

Use an electric 12v pump to inflate - the effort with a footpump removes the desire to go out anyway....

Make sure that you have suitable buoyancy aids/lifejackets so that in the event of a capsize or swamping you will still say afloat the right way up

Make sure that you have a large repair kit - such boats often come with small kits but larger patches give greater security...

I am not suggesting that you would need the second or the third items, but if you do and don't have them available, who will drive the scooter / MH home.......?

Be VERY careful where you use it - lakes are safer than the open sea and the open sea with an offshore wind could mean an unexpected trip towards the United States, and do they have Leffie?

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.