Swift Gas strut problems - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 14-07-2010, 11:59 Thread Starter

Swift Gas strut problems

Has anyone else suffered problems with gas struts on Swift motorhomes? We have an Ace Adventurer which we bought in Sep 09 when it was less than 18 months old, with less than 250 miles on the clock. Not long after we got it we started getting recall notices from Swift regarding the gas strut on the habitation door. We had already had this replaced by the dealer as we didnít like the open door standing at right angles to the van, and had it clipped to the side instead.

Then last week, hubby lifted the bench seat only to hear the sickening wrench of metal ripping through wood. It transpired that one of the gas struts had failed to telescope and instead the mounting had ripped the screws through the wood of the bench seat side wall.

We took the van to White Arches who were very helpful, assured us they can repair it, took lots of photos and put the claim against the warranty into Swift, who lived up to their name in their response to reject our claim virtually by return. We cannot understand why it was rejected, and are now worried about issues with other gas struts in the van.

We have to date thoroughly enjoyed our first forays into motorhoming but if this is indicative of the kind of reaction we are going to get, we really arenít looking forward to dealing with Swift for any other issues which come up. We can only speak of our limited experience of course but based on this we would say to anyone considering Swift, caveat emptor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 14-07-2010, 12:07
TR5

My Motorhome: Autotrail Frontier Delaware
Personal Aire
Make a fuss. He who shouts loudest.......

In reality, change the title of your post, and Swift will pick it up and make comment, hopefully. You may be able to re-negociate with them direct.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 17-08-2010, 17:29

My Motorhome: Auto-Trail Apache 634
Personal Aire
Hi - we also have an Ace Adventurer which we bought in Feb this year (59 plate, 250 miles).
The dealer (Marquis, Northampton) removed the gas strut before we took delivery and pointed out to us that we needed a new habitation door as the strength of the original gas strut had caused the door to flex and delaminate.
It took until the end of July for the work to be agreed, the door manufactured and then fitted. However we are pleased with the result - even if the waste bin holder in the new door is really poorly designed!!

I do suggest you press White Arches for a solution. You bought it from them and your contract is therefore with them so it's their responsibility to look after you.

I hope you are otherwise enjoying your Adventurer. Have you had the Fiat reverse gear problem corrected?
regards,
Bill

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 17-08-2010, 17:54

Post your complaint on Swift's own website. You will get a quick reply from Swift who seem to be very helpful in such matters. Link here:

http://www.swift-talk.co.uk/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 18-08-2010, 08:20

Hi Neondebs,
I am sorry to hear about this, can you send me your details and van details and I will lokk into this for you,
Regards
Andy
[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page