Ace Airstream - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 16-06-2010, 16:28 Thread Starter
Mer

Swift

The problem is that there seems to be problems with almost every motorhome and caravan that people buy from new. The main worry is the speed at which they fix them, and after two and a half years of ownership, five visits to the dealer, numerous correspondence with Swift, my Airstream appears to be working - except for a few minor ailments which I have learned to live with. Neither the manufacturers or the dealers seem to share the same pride for the vehicles as the new owners. I would not buy another Swift, I would definitely not buy any motorhome from Webbs of Wiltshire again, and thank goodness I have a son-in-law who works as a technician in the construction of huge hospitality vehicles, and who has spent a great deal of time on my van putting right the so-called repairs the dealer has made to it. They even tried to get out of the warranty! It seems to be a case, in most instances, of grab the cash and then to hell with the service. The so-called habitation checks are a complete rip-off, and I hope that more people will name and shame dealers who advertise personal service and offer as little as they can get away with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 16-06-2010, 18:48

Fixed? more or less

Update,
Ace now almost sorted, final bits for the hab door arrived this week from France and I have fitted them, Electrics are all still working and other reported issues sorted - Thanks Julie at Swift/Ian at Marquis
We now have foil delamination on the furniture panels which looking at similar Swift products of the 2007 /8 era seems par for the course
I cant be bothered going back to the dealer/Swift again with this "minor" problem as its provably not covered by the warranty???? and where its the board edge coming away, a tube of evo stick is cheaper than the derv to Preston and back
Regards and good luck
Ray
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 27-07-2010, 11:05

Hi Mer (and others)

I just read your posting with interest having myself just recently posted a problem on the "Swift" forum area (maybe in error?).

I only wish I had spotted this one months ago. I too have an Ace airstream 630EW and purchased it back in September 08 from the same dealer as yourself.

It's a 200 mile round trip for me and it's been back 4 times to date with all the problems you mention (and some). Reading your experience is like looking into a parallel life. Like yourself, it was our first purchase of a motorhome. Like yourself, I was drawn by it's looks and interior design. Like yourself, until we were brave enough to go abroad last year, we had covered more miles going to and from the dealer for repairs than we had going away. Like yourself, I've lost the pride that I had in my motorhome. Other fellow van owners around me can't believe the situation, it's a real joke (but a nightmare to me). It's like looking in a mirror! You must be "the other" person that the dealer keeps mentioning.

Having just collected it again I still have more problems - see my posting "Control Panel Confusion" on the Swift Forum. The staff at the dealer are very "nice" but I'm loosing faith in their ability to actually resolve these problems.

We need to speak! I'll PM you with my number as like someone on here says...there's strength in numbers. I'm not sure how to drive this anymore and if it was left to the wife she would have involved solicitors by now, although that's not my preferred method. I just want a working van which is what I thought I might get with a 40K vehicle from SWIFT!

What is worrying me is that I don't see any postings from AC Airstream owners who seem to have had these ongoing problems actually resolved.

I'm beginning to wonder if owners have just given up and traded their Airstreams in for something more reliable. Any feedback from ex-Airstream owners I wonder???

Hazard by name, Hazard by nature.

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 27-07-2010, 15:27 Thread Starter
Mer

Ace Airstream

Hi Selseybob
PM me soonest so we can talk- I have been banned by the dealer for complaining to Swift!
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 27-01-2013, 21:13

Ace Airstream

Oh dear!
In November, we finally bit the bullet after many years of dreaming, went to a local dealer. Fell in love with a fairly new Ace Airstream 630EW and now we hear tales of trouble.
Planning to travel far and wide onnce the January weathers are out of the way.... did we make a mistake?
Arbre
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 17-03-2013, 00:58

I found this posting and it has possibly justified the cost of my subscription. I am in the process of sourcing a new van and had put the Airstream on my list of possibilities. I guess most people will do the same as me and Google the names of the vans we fancy to look for posts just like this one. This is good from my point of view but perhaps the resale value of the Airstream will be lower than it might have been if this post never had to be made. It would be good for manufacturers and dealers to realise this and endeavour to put things right.
You would think if there were any really satisfied Airstream owners that they would want to protect the resale value of their van by posting some positive comments. Are there any out there? As it seems to be an old posting I would interested to learn how things turned out in the end.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 17-03-2013, 12:39

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Yes as this topic seems to have hit the scene again, have we any ace MH owners available to enlighten us on the wear and tear and reliability so far. There seem to be over 80 ace owners on here.

cabby
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 21:20

Ace Airstream

Having just taken our Airstream on our first major outing over Easter, braving the snowfields of Brecon and Ludlow, driving across the heights of mid-Wales, we have no complaints about heating, drafts or electrics.... must have got the good one.
Now planning further travels, any tips?
Arbre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page