Introduction and plea for help - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 14:06 Thread Starter

introduction and plea for help

Hello everyone. Not only totally new to Motorhomes but a complete dumbo on computers too ... so really need your support. I pick my first motor home up on Friday and am soooooo scared What have I done!!!!! It is an Eldiss Cirruss and I have never even had a caravan. Will I be able to cope? What about changing all these water barrels, gas cylinders, batteries ....Aaaaaagh!

I am a 60 year old woman and was diagnosed with cancer four years ago. Still fighting it and just feeling the need to escape off to the wilds on occasions. Sole carers for my elderly parents (both cancer patients) and desperate at times to feel the wind in my hair and the grass beneath my feet. I feel 16 at heart and hate conversations about the price of cheese in Tesco compared to Safeways and refuse to grow old gracefully but have I had a really bad crisis in my old/young age? Please tell me honestly if you think I have made a bad decision because the above (gas/electricity/water) scares the life out of me. Also how do I know which sites include electricity power to my van etc... I feel really silly asking these questions ... I just saw a thread on changing wheels YOU HAVE PUNCTURES ON THESE THINGS? oH help!

Love to all runoutofnames xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 14:24

Hi, "runoutofnames", and welcome to MotorhomeFacts!

I have split your post from the others so you can have your very own thread. Yes, really! I saw your post on the "chicken" thread, and noticed you only had 2 posts to your name, so found .... anyway, here you are, and you're most welcome.

On all these questions, I would suggest that you try to get to one of our 'meets' - informal gatherings of like-minded people, where you'll find loads of us willing to help with your new toy.

We have several solo women on here, who all manage the intricacies of the motorhome, so I hope one or two of them will pop in now you have your own "welcome" thread.

Gerald

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 14:45

I ,too, had never even been in a tent prior to our recent purchase But these things are fantastic to drive, really. Just make good use of the superb side mirrors, they really help...and I would strongly recommend a reversing camera...wouldn't be without mine.

Re: punctures, most breakdown cover can be extended to include changing wheels, worth considering.

cheers,
Les

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 14:47

Hi Runoutofnames !!

Welcome to MHF from not a solo woman but a fellow cancerpatient !
We love motorhoming and most of the people on here are great fun ( couple of moanies but hey, who counts. I'll wait for the slap !! )
I think that you are doing the right thing in getting the motorhome and visit some lovely places. It is a thrill every time you get into it to drive to ........
Ours is securely parked at a campsite and when we just go to start it up, we might sit behind the wheel and go: VROOM VROOM.
It is great to be mad and if you are not, it means you are boring !!
Keep the questions coming as you'll always get an answer

Kind regards

Maddie
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 14:49

Welcome here runoutofnames,

there is so much good information on this site that it could take you hours to read it. Even more hours to find it amongst the threads and posts which are 'less helpful'.

As you are new to Motorhomes, and have not yet picked up your van, may I suggest that you try the Beginners Guide forum on this site. Of particular help might be the MHF_Handover_Checklist which would be well worth printing to take with you when you collect your MH.

Allow plenty of time to inspect your new motorhome before you accept it from the seller, and be sure to ask them to demonstrate to you all of the things about which you currently have doubts. Ask to be shown more than once if need be, and do not let them rush you.

Otherwise, as Gerald wrote, joining in with a meet/rally is a very good way to meet more people who will help. Meantime, feel free to search this site for questions that have been asked before (most of them have) but if you can't find either the question or an answer which you can understand just ask again. Someone will be along to give you full information.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 14:59

Hi Runoutofnames

You will not have any problems at all, I would suggest you join the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravan Club and use their sites, just ask for help from the Wardens or your neighbours on site don't be afraid just ask, Get yourself to the Yorkshire Dales, Haws the Brown Moor site or Grassington the Wharfdale site, local to the village and lots of long and short safe walks from the site

Your escape will be the best thing you have ever done, make conversation with the folk around you and enjoy

Best Regards
Broom
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom
I would suggest you join the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravan Club and use their sites, just ask for help from the Wardens or your neighbours on site don't be afraid just ask
That's real good advice for the circumstances here. Friendly sites with lots of help on hand sounds just what's needed.

Dougie.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 15:09

Welcome to MHF. I travel with my friend also a lady and we have toured a lot in europe. You will be fine once you have sussed everything out. Try a shake down trip to say a caravan club site. Are you a member? worth belonging. Most sites have electric hook-ups.
If you live near your dealers go back to them and get them to run through things you are not sure of. did they let you satay overnight when you got your mh? We tend to do that so if there is something we are not sure of we can ask.
Happy travelling and ask away there is always someone who will have an answer for you.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 16:11

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
well good for you gal.
I,m sur ethat if you take a dummy run to a nearby campsite for the weekend and get talking to other motorcaravan owners you will soon get the hang of it. It gets pretty easy, the routine of filling up with water, emptying the loo so dont worry.
Why not see if someone will come with you off here.
Make sure you got AA type cover and they will change the wheel for you.

Theres all the help you need on here so please ask.

aww really admire your spirit - well done

The rich stay rich by living like they're poor
The poor stay poor by living like they're rich
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 12:15

welcome and well done! Bought a MH and joined this forum

All the advice above is sound. The only problem might be trying to get away from a motorhomer who is in full flight about their hobby! Trying to stop us when we really get going with offerring advice is harder than choosing a MH in the first place

Sue

Sue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page