Historical speeding fines in France - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 27-06-2020, 18:10 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Historical speeding fines in France

Well! Iíve just received a speeding fine from a France, three months after the alleged offence! The heinous crime? 3kms over the local speed limit in the middle of nowhere, outside Avignon! If I pay up promptly, itíll cost £41.00!
This was the day we were being kicked out of France due to their early lock down procedures and the urgent need to get the last ferry out of France!
Apparently the French authorities are using historical UK driver speeding offences to boost their income because DVLA currently have a reciprocal agreement with France to name/shame uk drivers in these circumstances. This agreement is unlikely to continue after Brexit so the French authorities are milking the cash cow whilst the sun shines and the going is good!
Be warned people and there is very little to appeal against!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 27-06-2020, 19:13

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
You were apparently 8 km/h over the speed limit (they knock 5 km/h off before determining your speed) - so you were speeding.

Speeding is illegal whatever country you drive in.

Pay up and learn from your mistake.

I had to last year - but we will still visit France again as soon as possible ......

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 27-06-2020, 20:20

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I guess we have all put a hustle on at times trying to make a deadline. It's the flash in the mirror that brings you down to earth and usually embarrassment for ones mistake.
So we pay up and mark it down to experience and hope to learn from our mistakes even with the multiple changes in limits through road works or villages.

Ray.
Ozzyjohn and Penquin like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 27-06-2020, 23:12

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
You broke the law and were fairly caught.

You are only paying half the fine if you pay directly, nonpoints on your licence either which in U.K. are live for three years and present for four.

Your fine in France is much less than if you were caught in the U.K. It is nothing to do with trying to gain cash, simply trying to preserve life, hitting a person tends to kill them and the faster the impact the more likely death is the result.

Pay up and learn to drive within local law.

Not a lot of sympathy on here I am afraid.

Ozzyjohn and chasper like this.

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 28-06-2020, 10:52

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
You broke the law and were fairly caught.

You are only paying half the fine if you pay directly, nonpoints on your licence either which in U.K. are live for three years and present for four.

Your fine in France is much less than if you were caught in the U.K. It is nothing to do with trying to gain cash, simply trying to preserve life, hitting a person tends to kill them and the faster the impact the more likely death is the result.

Pay up and learn to drive within local law.

Not a lot of sympathy on here I am afraid.

Dave, was it you who got caught on the 40/30 limit near Taunton M5 Junction? Something in my memory thinks you posted on the forum. Ray
Penquin and raynipper like this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 28-06-2020, 11:51
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
'Speeding' equals 'Fine'....Sadly most get away with it most of the time.
Life is simple really.
Penquin likes this.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 28-06-2020, 12:09

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
Dave, was it you who got caught on the 40/30 limit near Taunton M5 Junction? Something in my memory thinks you posted on the forum. Ray
Agreed and it was me that did not appeal the fine or the points although it was later shown that the signage was inadequate and many fines were reversed. By the time that came up it was more than 4 years after I was justifiably caught.

Some of the French fines are coming over up to a year afterwards, AFAIK, there is no "statute of limitations" type limit as there is in the UK.

I am not sure why the UK does not reciprocate, Devon and Cornwall Police said the total owed by French drivers typically amounts to over a million £ per year....

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 28-06-2020, 14:40

Personal Aire
Quote:

I am not sure why the UK does not reciprocate, Devon and Cornwall Police said the total owed by French drivers typically amounts to over a million £ per year....
Surely that does not apply to only Devon & Cornwall Police area?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 28-06-2020, 14:51

Personal Aire
That was the figure given, I have no way to verify or reject the figure, it was broadcast on BBC Spotlight with the Police Commissioner saying that she was very annoyed at "French drivers, including lorry drivers, being caught but simply ignoring the fines".

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 28-06-2020, 14:56

Personal Aire
Quote:
That was the figure given, I have no way to verify or reject the figure, it was broadcast on BBC Spotlight with the Police Commissioner saying that she was very annoyed at "French drivers, including lorry drivers, being caught but simply ignoring the fines".

The key difference is that across many European countries the owner is responsible for the offence, while in the UK it is the driver.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ted-roads.html
Penquin likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page