Fiat Ducato questions: Motors and gearboxes - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By pagey
  • 1 Post By pagey

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 22-02-2020, 17:15 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Fiat Ducato questions: Motors and gearboxes

Hello Newbie here,
I have various motorhomes and campervans in the past including Fiat Ducato's. Currently I am looking at two options, an automatic motorhome around 2005 vintage, or buying an automatic delivery van (2005 to 2014) and converting it to a campervan. My questions are mainly around motors and gearboxes.

1. With a standard motorhome (automatic gearbox) about 6 metres in length, what is considered the best motor for power and economy, the 2.3 L or the 2.8 or 3.0 L?

2. With the long and high delivery vans L4/H3 (automatic gearbox) - the best size motor for a standard campervan fit out?

3. For the motorhome or campervan, how complicated is it to convert from a manual to automatic gearbox? Approximate cost? In other words, remove the manual gearbox and replace it with an automatic gearbox? (I am not interested in any auto clutch arrangement.)

I am looking at buying a left hand drive in Germany and importing it to Portugal. Another option, I have heard of a place that allows vehicles purchased in Germany to remain registered and insured in that country - but do not know who they are?

Thanks for your attention!
The Following User Says Thank You to travellindude For This Useful Post:
trek (22-02-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 22-02-2020, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellindude View Post
Hello Newbie here,
I have various motorhomes and campervans in the past including Fiat Ducato's. Currently I am looking at two options, an automatic motorhome around 2005 vintage, or buying an automatic delivery van (2005 to 2014) and converting it to a campervan. My questions are mainly around motors and gearboxes.

1. With a standard motorhome (automatic gearbox) about 6 metres in length, what is considered the best motor for power and economy, the 2.3 L or the 2.8 or 3.0 L?

2. With the long and high delivery vans L4/H3 (automatic gearbox) - the best size motor for a standard campervan fit out?

3. For the motorhome or campervan, how complicated is it to convert from a manual to automatic gearbox? Approximate cost? In other words, remove the manual gearbox and replace it with an automatic gearbox? (I am not interested in any auto clutch arrangement.)

I am looking at buying a left hand drive in Germany and importing it to Portugal. Another option, I have heard of a place that allows vehicles purchased in Germany to remain registered and insured in that country - but do not know who they are?

Thanks for your attention!
1 2007 0n the 2,3 130 is the same hp as the earlier 2.8 jtd

2 no true auto gearbox

3 not possible all gearbox gear changes are ecu controlled ie they are computer operated manual gearboxes ie robotic gear changes

fiat are just about to bring out a 9 speed torque converter box
erneboy likes this.

pagey

Last edited by pagey; 22-02-2020 at 18:00. Reason: additions
The Following User Says Thank You to pagey For This Useful Post:
travellindude (22-02-2020)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 22-02-2020, 18:39

My Motorhome: Carthago
The X244 and X250 was available with a ZF4-HP20 torque converter 4 speed "true auto" box.

There are not many around and apparently are not too good.

Agree with pagey ref unsuitability of change from manual to auto, far too many complications.

Reference your registration query, if you are resident in Portugal, there is a legal requirement to have your vehicle registered in the country you are a fiscal resident of.

John

Last edited by eurajohn; 22-02-2020 at 18:42.
The Following User Says Thank You to eurajohn For This Useful Post:
travellindude (22-02-2020)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 23-02-2020, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
The X244 and X250 was available with a ZF4-HP20 torque converter 4 speed "true auto" box.

There are not many around and apparently are not too good.

Agree with pagey ref unsuitability of change from manual to auto, far too many complications.

Reference your registration query, if you are resident in Portugal, there is a legal requirement to have your vehicle registered in the country you are a fiscal resident of.

hi i was aware of the true auto a member of our local c&mc group has one in a lhd tag hobby 750 coupled to the 146 hp engine but i have never seen one in an english market van and as you say they are very rare
eurajohn likes this.

pagey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page