User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By eurajohn
  • 1 Post By jiwawa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 14:51 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
New to campervans

Hello peeps. We are considering buying our first motor home and have found a very nice Chausson Welcome 510, there are two things that are putting me off. One is the large fixed table, Is it possible to get a much smaller top for the fixed electrical pole? Secondly, the cooking facilities, a very small three ringed hob and a tiny oven fitted very high up above the fridge. Many thanks for any observations or tips anyone may be able to give me. Oh and a happy new year to everyone. Chrissie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 16:47

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Changing the table no problem at all, there are many options from just changing the top for a more sensible sized one to doing away with what is currently fitted and replacing with either a free standing one or one with a removable single leg.
This company https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600mm-x-6...53.m1438.l2649 do some fixed size ones but will also make to whatever size you want, they are pleasant and efficient to deal with (I've just used them). For a free standing base these are pretty good https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-c...53.m1438.l2649

The hob I'm sure you will actually find more than adequate, how often do you use more than three burners in your home kitchen? The oven maybe more of an issue but not the end of the world, many people survive without one at all.

If the rest of the van suits, go for it.

John
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 17:03 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thank you for your reply, will look up those companies. It is a very nice motor home, it’s just such a lot of money, it’s making me nervous, guess I was hoping for everything to be perfect. We’re very limited for choice here (Isle of Man) without going off island with the expenses that entails.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 20:26

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
As most on here will agree, it is unlikely you will find a van that is perfect for you in every way.
Even one that seems perfect, given time and use will likely throw up a few "I wish" items, if this one ticks most of the boxes go for it.

erneboy and raynipper like this.

John
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 20:32

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Make very sure it's what you want as changing when you find it isn't is very expensive.
Make a check list and see if any other models come close. Is the bed large enough? Can't you bend down in the loo/shower? Does it carry enough water? Can you make a cuppa in the kitchen? Etc.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 21:10

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Yep it won’t be perfect

How often will you use that oven?

Mines above the fridge

And guess what I use it

But I carry other things to cook with

We’ve had our van for years

It’s good, we have aircon, a gas generator , solar panels, fixed beds , a garage etc

Would I buy it again ?

Prob NO

Sandra
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 21:18

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Does your licence cover it? If it's over 3.5T you'll need to have C1 on your licence.

Also check the payload - the difference between the actual weight of the MH with none of your gear in it and the maximum laden weight.

If you can't take your gear, or your passengers! it won't work!
raynipper likes this.

Jean
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 13:35

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Pollensa 2002 on Peugeot Boxer 2.8HDi
I could count on my fingers the number of times we've used our motorhome ovens in over thirty years! It is mainly used for storage. We do use the grill sometimes although for toast we have a toaster for when we're on hookup and a camping mesh type for the gas rings. (I actually sometimes use one of those at home, as the toast is like what we used to make in front of the fire!). And we have a basic microwave.

As well as a small gas BBQ, we also have an electric frypan/griddle and a single induction hob both of which can be used with an extension lead, since I prefer to cook outside to minimise cooking smells inside.

Hope this helps.

cheers
Roger
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 14:28

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I'd agree re oven - in 12yrs of motorhoming, never had one, never missed it.

Jean
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 20:15

Oven wise take a look at the Remoska. It is a wonderful bit of kit. Available at Lakeland.

Every single motorhome has a compromise built in. We had done a lot of camping and caravanning before we bought our motorhome. We had one criteria that, for us, was a deal breaker and that was a drop down bed. We did not want a fixed bed as they take up a lot of space and we did not want a mid van bed that has to be made up every night and put away every morning. Other than that we were open to compromise. You may have a different deal breaker so sort out what it is and find a van that offers you that one thing. The rest you can live with. Motorhomes are pint pots and you cannot fit every quart into them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page