newbie seeking advice - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-08-2019, 13:19 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Question newbie seeking advice

Hello

my name is Paul and I am a total newbie on this site looking for guidance and advice
At the moment I donít even own a MH but I intend to buy one and became a member of this site to ask the people in the know and who have owned and spent time in MHís for help in my choice of purchase

As a lover of history of these isles especially, castles, historical buildings, sites and ruins fascinate me and I have ambitions to spend 12 months initially travelling around beautiful Britain and visiting and blogging my travels and the sites I come across

I will be travelling mainly on my own so the motorhome i require has to very reliable & only needs to be a 2-3 berth at the least but with enough space to feel comfortable and not cramped as I will living in it full time
The MH needs to be homely and Iíll definitely need a shower as I like to be active and I intend to park up and cycle a lot and also as I will be spending winter in the MH, warmth will be a priority too!!

I like the idea of a low profile van and to keep below 6m in length also with a budget of approx £20k and hope I am not asking for too much

I look forward to your replies and suggestions

Thank you in advance

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-08-2019, 14:47

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Hi and Welcome Paul. That was my budget when I got our first van over eleven years ago and I still have it. I didnt spend it all on the van though. We fitted a scooter and rack, satellite TV Dome and refillable gas (Gaslow) cylinders. Since then we added solar panels.

I think the best thing to do is start seeing a few vans and decided on the layout you like. Some prefer fixed beds some prefer rear lounges. Personally I prefer the rear lounge front dinette layout as it offers more living space but you need to try both. Our van is 7.5 metres long and a six berth and I wouldnt want anything smaller for long term touring. I would like a PVC type van but Ive never been able to figure out how it would work for us as we carry a lot of stuff which brings me on to Payload. Choose a van that has a generous payload which is how much weight you can carry before its over its legal limit.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-08-2019, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Choose a van that has a generous payload which is how much weight you can carry before its over its legal limit.
And to add to this makes sure you get the weights checked on a weighbridge before parting with cash and don't go by what the book says! It's almost never right as "extras" like awning, etc are not included in the MIRO.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-08-2019, 17:32 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Hi and Welcome Paul. That was my budget when I got our first van over eleven years ago and I still have it. I didnt spend it all on the van though. We fitted a scooter and rack, satellite TV Dome and refillable gas (Gaslow) cylinders. Since then we added solar panels.

I think the best thing to do is start seeing a few vans and decided on the layout you like. Some prefer fixed beds some prefer rear lounges. Personally I prefer the rear lounge front dinette layout as it offers more living space but you need to try both. Our van is 7.5 metres long and a six berth and I wouldnt want anything smaller for long term touring. I would like a PVC type van but Ive never been able to figure out how it would work for us as we carry a lot of stuff which brings me on to Payload. Choose a van that has a generous payload which is how much weight you can carry before its over its legal limit.
Hey Barry and thanks for the reply much appreciated mate. Personally I like the idea of rear lounge as not keen on fixed bed set up but not sure if there are 6m MH's with that set up, I will look though.
Thanks for the advice on payload too as I never thought of that side of it and will consider that. luckily I plan on travelling light!!

appreciate your time in replying bud
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-08-2019, 17:35 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellyneck View Post
And to add to this makes sure you get the weights checked on a weighbridge before parting with cash and don't go by what the book says! It's almost never right as "extras" like awning, etc are not included in the MIRO.
Thats a great tip Gellyneck and can you let me know what MIRO stands for?

thanks
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-08-2019, 17:56

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Hi Paul it’s a welcome from me, we also have a rear lounge as it suits us best, you generally sacrifice a large garage that the like of a scooter can fit in when you have one.

As for MIRO, this link explains it.
https://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/...t-limits-4104/

Damp can be an issue, make sure you get any potential buy checked out beforehand.

Good luck with your purchase whatever you decide.

Terry

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-08-2019, 18:04

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Welcome. Sounds like an interesting trip.
ptbloke likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-08-2019, 19:28 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Welcome. Sounds like an interesting trip.
I aim to make it a very interesting trip and thanks for the welcome!!!
erneboy likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-08-2019, 23:23

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbloke View Post
Hey Barry and thanks for the reply much appreciated mate. Personally I like the idea of rear lounge as not keen on fixed bed set up but not sure if there are 6m MH's with that set up, I will look though.
Thanks for the advice on payload too as I never thought of that side of it and will consider that. luckily I plan on travelling light!!

appreciate your time in replying bud
To be honest I wouldnt worry too much about sticking to 6m. Most motorhomes are a similar width so an extra metre or so length wont make much difference from a driving point of view but can make a big difference in comfort for full timing.
greygit likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 25-08-2019, 06:43

We full timed for 3 years in a Hymer B544. They have a drop down bed which was a "must have" for us. It is always made up ready for falling into We were two adults and two dogs. She took us all over Europe and we never wished she was any bigger.
Think about how much room you actually take up. You are either sitting or standing in the van or you are outside! Our main criteria was to be able to stand up straight, sit down to eat and a comfy bed. The Hymer fitted all those criteria. We could park it in a supermarket car park as long as there was a grass verge or similar for the slight hangover at the back. The heating was amazing! Shower was pretty good too
We found that we off loaded a lot of "stuff" as we went along but everyone is different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page