newbie seeking advice - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 25-08-2019, 08:10 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Some more sage advice there Barry and another tip for the list

Does the length of MH make much difference if travelling on a ferry cost wise?

thanks mate!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 25-08-2019, 08:27 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
We full timed for 3 years in a Hymer B544. They have a drop down bed which was a "must have" for us. It is always made up ready for falling into We were two adults and two dogs. She took us all over Europe and we never wished she was any bigger.
Think about how much room you actually take up. You are either sitting or standing in the van or you are outside! Our main criteria was to be able to stand up straight, sit down to eat and a comfy bed. The Hymer fitted all those criteria. We could park it in a supermarket car park as long as there was a grass verge or similar for the slight hangover at the back. The heating was amazing! Shower was pretty good too
We found that we off loaded a lot of "stuff" as we went along but everyone is different.
Hey Pat thank you very much for the reply

I love your criteria mate;
simple terms: stand up straight, sit down to eat and a comfy bed...love it, me to a T and will help in my decision!!

thanks again & any more tips please keep them coming!!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 25-08-2019, 08:27

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I think it depends on which ferry as some do by the meter and some up to a set length.

Ray.
ptbloke likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 25-08-2019, 08:52

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,103 Times in 956 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbloke View Post
Some more sage advice there Barry and another tip for the list

Does the length of MH make much difference if travelling on a ferry cost wise?

thanks mate!!
No, totally insignificant in the great scheme of things when long terming. I would consider getting across to Mainland Europe though, especially France, Germany and Italy as its just so much easier for motorhomes and many great free places to stay
ptbloke likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 25-08-2019, 12:03

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Welcome to the forum Paul!

When my husband and I were full-timing we'd a 7.3m van with permanent single beds, suited us admirably. The beds were great as, with my husband's condition, he needed to go to bed NOW, not in half an hour, so I just looked for the next suitable layby and as soon as I parked he was in bed!

Some time after I became solo I downsized to 6.2m, still with a permanent bed above the garage (plus a dropdown at the front for visitors). We'd many years of caravanning with the family, making the beds up every night n I wasn't keen to go back to that. I know many folk say it's no problem but it's something I prefer not to do. Depends on yourself. Keep in mind that when the bedclothes are not on the bed they need somewhere elso to be stored.

I did seriously consider a PVC when downsizing but although the designs were very clever regarding storage, I felt it was a step too far. I also felt the insulation in a PVC wouldn't be as good as a coachbuilt or A-class. And I didn't want to be the one annoying the life out of the neighbours opening and closing that big side door!!

I'm very happy with my Exsis-I 504 as a solo van tho I wouldn't want to share the space for too long.

Regarding your type of touring, I'm a member of the National Trust (and also English Heritage) and when I'm not on the continent I do my best to bankrupt these organisations conducting my own version of the Elizabethan tour!
raynipper and ptbloke like this.

Jean
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 25-08-2019, 14:55

In case Paul doesn't know - it is free for members to park on National Trust car parks
ptbloke likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 26-08-2019, 17:10

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Hi Paul and welcome to MHF, I might suggest and Autocruise Wentworth, this though is a front lounge but comes with a really good kitchen and bathroom, another might be the Bessacarr E745, again a front lounge with good kitchen and bathroom but more storage, both within the £20k.

@patp We're members of NTS and have only managed to stay in one car park which was attached to house or garden, the managers always say no when we've asked, to do with the security we're told, has there been a change of attitude as it's about two years since we last asked, we do of course stay in remote car parks RSPB are also ones we have used in the past.
patp and ptbloke like this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 26-08-2019, 17:16

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
It's free to park on NT carparks to visit the property but I've never been able to stay overnight.

Jean
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 26-08-2019, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
Hi Paul and welcome to MHF, I might suggest and Autocruise Wentworth, this though is a front lounge but comes with a really good kitchen and bathroom, another might be the Bessacarr E745, again a front lounge with good kitchen and bathroom but more storage, both within the £20k.

@patp We're members of NTS and have only managed to stay in one car park which was attached to house or garden, the managers always say no when we've asked, to do with the security we're told, has there been a change of attitude as it's about two years since we last asked, we do of course stay in remote car parks RSPB are also ones we have used in the past.
I did say "it is free to park" not free to stay overnight. Just helps, when you are visiting an area, to know of a quiet place to spend the day before looking for an overnight site.
ptbloke likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 27-08-2019, 09:39

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Yes but all NT members know they can park for free if they have the NT sticker in the screen so I naturally took it to mean overnight, we have parked in numerous remote NT car parks with no problems though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page