Hello from the south of France - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-03-2019, 22:42 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Hello from the south of France

First post, and still not an owner of a motorhome. I have, however, just 'shaken hands' on a Hymer B644 that a friend has had sitting around for a while.
I'll have a lot to learn (and no doubt a lot to do), and it looks like I have come to the right place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-03-2019, 22:58

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Welcome and good luck, owning a MH for most of us is like a very addictive drug - it opens up so many possibilities and experiences that it can often be described as "life changing" in a very positive manner.

Your title is "Hello from the South of France" - whereabouts are you located ?

Do you live in France ? (We do and it's always good to meet others) Is your MH French registered? If so and you live in the UK are you planning on taking it back yo the UK and reregistering it there ?

Such things have been done by people on here before, so if you need advice, just ask.

Welcome.

Dave

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-03-2019, 23:10

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Welcome aboard Steve. How lucky are you - 1. being in the south of France and 2. becoming a MH owner!!

Jean

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-03-2019, 00:15

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Welcome! Love the south of France.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-03-2019, 07:46

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes, which bit?

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-03-2019, 12:07 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Yes, I live in France - not far from Cannes and Grasse.

I believe the vehicle is still registered in the UK, although it is LHD and the owner picked it up directly from the factory. One owner, low mileage but sitting unused for a number of years. A cracked rooflight has allowed some water ingress (with associated damage), but he has a new one in the box which he never got around to fitting!

Apart from the cosmetics (and the water damage), I am going to have to change all tires, all fluids, cambelt etc etc.

I think the owner had some difficulty in registering it here in France, and didn't pursue it. Any help from those who have done it would be welcome.

I am fortunate in having a neighbour (who I know slightly) whose day job for many years has been repairing/fitting out motorhomes. He was kind enough to give the vehicle an inspection, and valued it at a price I thought bordered on insulting to the owner. That was a few months ago, and just the other day I had the owner over for a drink of my (delicious) homebrewed beer. We got around to talking about what he was going to do with it, and he offered it to me for the price my neighbour had quoted. I shook has hand there and then, and poured him another beer!
barryd and raynipper like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-03-2019, 12:44

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
We imported and registered a UK reg Hobby 750 into France about 10 years ago. It's a somewhat protracted exercise but so chuffed when you finally manage it.
There is a guide on Anglo-Info website. I have t but is 4 pages long. Even they say it's difficult but not impossible.

Main docs are Certificate of Conformity for both chassis and body. Purchase receipt with current value and tax cert to say it's been paid or not liable.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-03-2019, 12:46

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
If you need advice re reregistering a U.K. vehicle that is a process that I have done, he may have had problems then as requirements have changed although what happens after Brexit is, of course, an unknown factor - so sooner rather than later may help....

If you have a neighbour who can give advice or help - grab him with both hands and a few pints of delicious beverage and use him......

Cambelt etc is mechanical and fairly straightforward - tyres means shopping around for the best deal for all of them if it has stood as they may have suffered internal weakening, think carefully before even driving it to have them changed.

Of course you MUST arrange insurance first then the next objective will be the Controle Technique for which the tyres need to be in an acceptable state, although ours got through happily on old tyres until he commented on damage on on, even then it was only an "advisory".

Once that is done then you can start correcting other problems, the rooflight is important but if it is only cracked you could do a temporary repair with some duck tape (excellent stuff). Then change when you desire.

That sets out your work for the next few days/weeks/months but feel free to come back. One thing you will have to have checked is whether the headlamps (dipping part) are UK or EU set up - it may be that will need to be addressed before the CT can be obtained.

Being France, you will need lots of paperwork but I will help you on that when you wish....

The Certificate of Conformity SHOULD be obtainable from Hymer - contact them although they may charge a fee ( our MH one was foc and by return of email, the car one was £100 and by post and took three weeks and that's a Citroen....)

Good luck, you will enjoy yourself and end up with a MHthat you know inside out and are really proud of (and possibly worth more than you imagined).

Just ask for any help - there are many Hyner owners on here who can give specific advice. We are here to help.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 17-03-2019 at 12:50.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-03-2019, 14:58

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved1953 View Post
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Yes, I live in France - not far from Cannes and Grasse.

I believe the vehicle is still registered in the UK, although it is LHD and the owner picked it up directly from the factory. One owner, low mileage but sitting unused for a number of years. A cracked rooflight has allowed some water ingress (with associated damage), but he has a new one in the box which he never got around to fitting!

Apart from the cosmetics (and the water damage), I am going to have to change all tires, all fluids, cambelt etc etc.

I think the owner had some difficulty in registering it here in France, and didn't pursue it. Any help from those who have done it would be welcome.

I am fortunate in having a neighbour (who I know slightly) whose day job for many years has been repairing/fitting out motorhomes. He was kind enough to give the vehicle an inspection, and valued it at a price I thought bordered on insulting to the owner. That was a few months ago, and just the other day I had the owner over for a drink of my (delicious) homebrewed beer. We got around to talking about what he was going to do with it, and he offered it to me for the price my neighbour had quoted. I shook has hand there and then, and poured him another beer!
Are you Simon Cowell? Love that area. Bonkers but good fun.
steved1953 likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-03-2019, 17:23

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Since I, and I think the other respondents here went through the immatriculation process , I'm pretty sure the process has changed, most all motoring related stuff is now on line, rather than solely via the Prefecture and the DRIRE (now DREAL).
As to the C.O.C. if the year of your van is not new enough for it to be covered by a whole vehicle approval, you will actually need to get 3 C.O.C. certificates, one from Fiat one from Hymer and one from Alko, however if new enough then just a single one from Hymer.

One thing for sure you will need masses of paperwork.

The process is straightforward despite the many horror stories you will hear, get the correct advice with regard to what documentation is actually required, follow the procedure set out and it will not be too stressful.

Most problems are caused by not knowing / following the set out procedure and not having the necessary paperwork certification.

Penquin and raynipper like this.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page